"Forcing" a shot

Shizuma

Mar 19, 2012
Dear sempais and fellow clubsnappers

As I was packing my food (for lunch - delicious and healthy) earlier this morning,

I noticed that my Lock-n-Lock boxes, pots, etc, formed a very nice 'still life' composition to my eyes.

But curiously when I took out my camera (phone camera) to shoot, the composition went haywire and looked awful.

Did this (looks good to eyes, looks bad to camera) happen to anyone?

Would you "force" the shot by searching for the correct approach to taking the image? Or take a more technical approach (swap lenses, camera body, get softbox, etc), and risk being late for work?

Or would you give up ?

you don't need a camera to practise your shots,

get a black cardboard about size of half of a 4R photo, make it into a frame by cut out a window, bring it everywhere you go,

when you see something nice, just take out the black frame and start learn compositing, closer to your eye will be wide angle, further will be tele photo,

move around your subject, you are "taking photos" with your mind with the help of this frame.

if you are too lazy to cut out a frame, than try this.....

stock-photo-12733137-young-asian-chinese-man.jpg

Dear sempais and fellow clubsnappers

As I was packing my food (for lunch - delicious and healthy) earlier this morning,

I noticed that my Lock-n-Lock boxes, pots, etc, formed a very nice 'still life' composition to my eyes.

But curiously when I took out my camera (phone camera) to shoot, the composition went haywire and looked awful.

Did this (looks good to eyes, looks bad to camera) happen to anyone?

Would you "force" the shot by searching for the correct approach to taking the image? Or take a more technical approach (swap lenses, camera body, get softbox, etc), and risk being late for work?

Or would you give up ?

what I notice is that usually it's the background that ruins the composition. if you can solve that problem, that's good. otherwise, try shooting from top down (with fill light to eliminate shadows from your self)

for me, I will stop and concede that I still suck in photography, then contemplate going for 24hour shooting marathons to suddenly improve my skill. It usually doesn't work because I'd rather be sleeping. meow.

meow, bonrya

it is not the shadows... :(
the shapes all go weird! could it be due to the very wide FOV in the camera (hp cam), vs my eyes?

I have two eyes compared to camera's one-eye. Does that mess up the composition also?
I did sort of frame the image in my head, but it did not come out properly on the "viewfinder" screen. (Sometimes I wish I can take a photo with my eyes by pressing my ear lobe or something . . . especially street shooting. )

meow, bonrya

the shapes all go weird! could it be due to the very wide FOV in the camera (hp cam), vs my eyes?

I have two eyes compared to camera's one-eye. Does that mess up the composition also?
I did sort of frame the image in my head, but it did not come out properly on the "viewfinder" screen. (Sometimes I wish I can take a photo with my eyes by pressing my ear lobe or something . . . especially street shooting. )

What you are dealing with sounds more like focal length issue. Typically if you take a close up shot with an uncorrected wide angle lens, the shape of the objects are skewered compared to what you see with your eyes.

Try moving back or perhaps zooming to flatten the object.

What you are dealing with sounds more like focal length issue. Typically if you take a close up shot with an uncorrected wide angle lens, the shape of the objects are skewered compared to what you see with your eyes.

Try moving back or perhaps zooming to flatten the object.

unfortunately i can only zoom with my feet . very challenging to think about overcoming the limitation of Point shoot

Shizuma said:
meow, bonrya

Take two images with a veryyyy slight shift to the right.

Then make a stereo image out of it.

Like this: http://bonnie-172.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d19577p

Hehe :bsmilie:

wow great idea . except every one at the bus stop is wondering how come my vision is so bad i am squinting cross eyed .

thanks for the suggestion though. it is cool .

Perspective.

could be the focal length that you're using, the previous way you were positioned, lighting change etc.

Or would you give up ?

Han+Shot+First_03.jpg