Forced to get of Shears Bridge at the very last min!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratix

Oct 13, 2005
Man. I dont know what's going on with Singapore with all these rubbish going on, but truly, this is something that really pisses me off very badly.

Just earlier on (on friday, 17th aug), there's the all so mighty Singapore Fireworks Festival, and like other poor guys here, i dont have the money to book a hotel room. Neither do i have any links with STB or the organizers. so naturally, i went up to Shears Bridge, since i guess that's the only place where i could get nice Singaporean Scenery + fireworks. (Marina East wont cut. i dont drive.)

and so, left work at 5pm, reach that bridge at 6pm. found a good spot and enjoyed the nice breeze while waiting for the show to start.

right at about 8.15pm, some Police officers showed up, and we were told to clear the place immediately! i was like wtf?!

the show start at 9pm, and at 8.15pm, they appear and ask us to leave?! i mean, there was no advisory ANYWHERE, nor any signs nor any personal earlier on to warn us.

man. i went early to camp and right at the last min, this sorta thing happened.

now, i have that very strong impression that fireworks is only meant for the rich, expats, and of course, people who're very darn free to go esplanade bridge to camp. period :thumbsd:

now, i have that very strong impression that fireworks is only meant for the rich, expats, and of course, people who're very darn free to go esplanade bridge to camp. period :thumbsd:

I got the same thoughts also. :thumbsd:

no come and say hi. :cry:

so wat happened to you guys then. I rushed to the other side. :sweat:

i went over to the other side (not the side where people usually come up) and that place look too dark and sandy. the marina park behind the bridge looked sealed to me.

so we ended up taking a cab to the field infront of NTUC building, near clifford pier.

it was already so packed there by then. not to mention, there was an influx of TRULY rowdy foreign workers who refuse to stay still and kept on walking and wondering around.

Singapore is getting more and more commercialized. now, if you want to watch good fireworks, be prepared to pay thru your nose for a hotel room, or, bribe someone in STB or the show organizers for tickets. :thumbsd:

Even during the NDP, my friends also complained about the rowdy foreign workers.

Singapore is getting more and more commercialized. now, if you want to watch good fireworks, be prepared to pay thru your nose for a hotel room, or, bribe someone in STB or the show organizers for tickets. :thumbsd:

Yeah... Sg not a good place for Sporeans liao :cry:

But a plus point is that if you paid for a seat and or got a hotel, you'd be smoked out. :sweat:

oh btw, forgot to write this:

i asked the police officer why the the blue moon did they want to seal up the bridge when nothing's going on?

i was then told that they are afraid that the people standing on the bridge will get rowdy.

But but! that place, at 8.15pm when we left, had less then 40 photogs along that 5km long bridge. -.-!!!

From what I had read on newspapers, Sheares bridge was closed on National Day itself for some time.

Didnt know about the closure during Fireworks Festival though.

Looks like need to go some where else.

From what I had read on newspapers, Sheares bridge was closed on National Day itself for some time.

Didnt know about the closure during Fireworks Festival though.

Looks like need to go some where else.

it was closed on NDP because of 2 reasons:

1. there was a commandos' rappelling display from the bridge.

2. fireworks were actually fired off the bridge itself.

but in the fireworks festival, nothing was said about the bridge. and worst, if i remembered correctly, the newpaper (TNP) showed the bridge as a good viewing point in yesterday's edition.

wait till you see tomolo when it's their off day. :sweat::sweat::sweat:

I was shooting The Sail when a worker came up to me and watched me set up tripod, take photo. So I just showed him my photo and he just smiled. Then someone called out something, and off goes all the workers, carting stuff into the construction site. I suppose he works there. He even said bye. Some of them are quite friendly tho. :)

yeah, i think a lot of of the foreign workers are really nice people. think about it this way, they are here to earn a living to feed their families back home, there may be a couple black sheep but its not really nice to start labeling all the foreign workers as rude.

on the other hand, what i find more disturbing is the weird things the police has been up to, cordoning off areas for no good apparent reason. thats wierd man...

At least they could have fore-warned!

Unless there was a last-minute/impending terrorist/security threat, why was the bridge not secured/condoned-off earlier? Sometimes it could be a case of bad planning, or in the complexity of all the logistics, someone simply forgot about the bridge.

You might want to consider STOMP, and and other media willing to air your views. Please don;lt take this the wrong way, but it might have to be written in a more reasonable, and less-emotional manner though (last para of the first post, please refer).

I was shooting The Sail when a worker came up to me and watched me set up tripod, take photo. So I just showed him my photo and he just smiled. Then someone called out something, and off goes all the workers, carting stuff into the construction site. I suppose he works there. He even said bye. Some of them are quite friendly tho. :)

no say they no good lah, for them getting squeezy is pretty norm loh. but when they squeeze towards you and your setup, you also pray they dun move or topple your setup loh.

oh btw, forgot to write this:

i asked the police officer why the the blue moon did they want to seal up the bridge when nothing's going on?

i was then told that they are afraid that the people standing on the bridge will get rowdy.

But but! that place, at 8.15pm when we left, had less then 40 photogs along that 5km long bridge. -.-!!!

Hahaha... they haven't seen the crowd there the last SFF. :bigeyes:

Mabbe we didn't pay $8 lah..... better view somemore. :bsmilie:

so any advice? i'm gg to watch today with gal... dun want to have a bad experience..... the traffic was packed yesterday night when i went.. in the end just hear the sounds go off niah.... all views blocked.. damn sian diaoz....... must go very early???

Are u a singaporean? The choicest locations have been reserved for the Ang Mos, FT and the tourists :bheart:.

Man. I dont know what's going on with Singapore with all these rubbish going on, but truly, this is something that really pisses me off very badly.

Just earlier on (on friday, 17th aug), there's the all so mighty Singapore Fireworks Festival, and like other poor guys here, i dont have the money to book a hotel room. Neither do i have any links with STB or the organizers. so naturally, i went up to Shears Bridge, since i guess that's the only place where i could get nice Singaporean Scenery + fireworks. (Marina East wont cut. i dont drive.)

and so, left work at 5pm, reach that bridge at 6pm. found a good spot and enjoyed the nice breeze while waiting for the show to start.

right at about 8.15pm, some Police officers showed up, and we were told to clear the place immediately! i was like wtf?!

the show start at 9pm, and at 8.15pm, they appear and ask us to leave?! i mean, there was no advisory ANYWHERE, nor any signs nor any personal earlier on to warn us.

man. i went early to camp and right at the last min, this sorta thing happened.

Are u a singaporean? The choicest locations have been reserved for the Ang Mos, FT and the tourists :bheart:.

we are second class citizens in our own country! :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.