forced high speed sync ?

Shizuma

Mar 19, 2012
hi senior and club snappers, my flash allegedly does not support high speed sync .

but i dialed my shutter to the nominal high speed sync limit and flash still fires and image still properly exposed .

did i force it to sync ? or is it just un official ? or not really high speed sync ?

i am just newbie please help.

thanks all in advance .

for reference i am using canon 500d with Yongnuo 465.

hi senior and club snappers, my flash allegedly does not support high speed sync .

but i dialed my shutter to the nominal high speed sync limit and flash still fires and image still properly exposed .

did i force it to sync ? or is it just un official ? or not really high speed sync ?

i am just newbie please help.

thanks all in advance .

for reference i am using canon 500d with Yongnuo 465.

By saying the limit, what's the actual speed you set it to?

and what are you using high speed sync for.

eh you mentioned 'nominal high speed sync limit'... not sure if I came across that term before... i'm guessing that you are shooting at a shutter speed above the sync speed?

I've read somewhere that Canon 580ex at full power flashes for around 1/800s, so at a shutter speed above that the flash is 'on' throughout the exposure and thus whole frame is exposed. So theoretically you could dial in a shutter speed above sync speed and still get a proper exposure, however you have to experiment to get what is the 'minimum' shutter speed for your flash (you'll need even higher shutter speed if power is less than full power cos the flash flashes for a shorter duration)

But I just read about it and haven't tried it myself ;p

im shooting F8 @ 1/200
1/200 is the High Speed sync speed if i am not wrong?

i am playing strobist. shoot HSS to kill all the ambient. cheap and free "black" background.

im shooting F8 @ 1/200

i am playing strobist. shoot HSS to kill all the ambient. cheap and free "black" background.

no that is not hss.

1/200 is the 500Ds max sync speed.

try going above 1/250th you'll start seeing the black bar already.

Last edited:
im shooting F8 @ 1/200

this is not hss. The 500d can go 1/200 or even 1/250 with my nissin 622. But occasionally will get black lines at 250.

Hss is about going beyond theses speed e.g. 1/400 or even 1/1000. Extremely useful when shooting portraits against backlight (e.g. the sun)

oic!
*face palm* !

tomorrow try 1/250 and faster. will report back.

i was frankly surprised at 1/250 because previously i was shooting to fill flash, all slower than 1/200.

thanks to all seniors. will report tomorrow.

reading and doin the assignments in strobist 101 and 102 helps alot if you are just starting out.

thanks to all the seniors and fellow club snappers. I set my shutter to 1/250 and the world was black. :(

no high speed sync . but i think 1/200 is alright :)

Shizuma said:
thanks to all the seniors and fellow club snappers. I set my shutter to 1/250 and the world was black. :(

share some shots le

err... it shouldn't go COMPLETELY black at 1/250. You should still see a large band of illumination, and a small band unlit by the flash.
As your speed goes higher, the dark band gets bigger.

For the interest of those who are learning how to light with a manual flash, the maximum shutter sync speed is the fastest speed that camera can be set where the whole frame is lit. I will not go into the technical parts of it, just know that this is one way to limit the amount of ambient light being captured when playing around with manual flash. Know too that the max shutter sync speed is a hard limitation of the camera and has nothing to do with the flash. Automatic ETTL/iTTL flash (e.g. Canon EX series, Nikon SB series) automatically limits your max shutter speed - to go beyond that speed, you'll need High Speed Sync turned on in your flash unit (which is another bull topic altogether).

So to show the effects, this is what happens when you go dial your camera beyond the max shutter sync speed when you work with a manual flash. Taken with a 5D Mk III (max sync speed 1/200s apparently) with a Yongnuo YN560-II and Hahnel wireless flash trigger.

Original setup

Set to f/8 (to cut flash light) at 1/160s (to cut more ambient light)

At 1/200s (there is a slight dark band at the bottom of the photo)

At 1/250s

At 1/400s

As you can see the photos are practically unusable beyond 1/200s. And although the max sync speed of the 5D Mk III is supposed to be 1/200s, it still exhibits dark banding - possibility due to the wireless flash trigger, but I'm not going into deeper investigation here.

Last edited:
share some shots le

it seemed too black. hence deleted on sight . now regret rash deletion , i did not know there would not be completely dark.

many thanks to seniors for guidance and Ah Pow for illustration !

it seemed too black. hence deleted on sight . now regret rash deletion , i did not know there would not be completely dark.

many thanks to seniors for guidance and Ah Pow for illustration !

awww.

u dun have flickr or anything?