Forbidden to raise camera above eye Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danntbt

Jul 28, 2004
Chestnut
dannytoh.multiply.com
Ever encountered such policy before? Just came back from a trip to Japan, was at Disneyland with my kids when I tried to capture some of their favourite characters but was blocked by the crowds. So I mounted my cam on a mono and happily snapping away when one of the personnel there shouted at me in Japanese and waving her hands indicating I should only hold my cam at eye level. I gave her a blank look and she went away, later she came back with a male colleague who also shouted at me and using hand signals to indicate that I should only shoot at eye level. At eye level I should be able to shoot mostly hairs and some hats of his countrymen and women....did not have any problem at Universal Studio which was so much more tolerant.

Ever encountered such policy before? Just came back from a trip to Japan, was at Disneyland with my kids when I tried to capture some of their favourite characters but was blocked by the crowds. So I mounted my cam on a mono and happily snapping away when one of the personnel there shouted at me in Japanese and waving her hands indicating I should only hold my cam at eye level. I gave her a blank look and she went away, later she came back with a male colleague who also shouted at me and using hand signals to indicate that I should only shoot at eye level. At eye level I should be able to shoot mostly hairs and some hats of his countrymen and women....did not have any problem at Universal Studio which was so much more tolerant.

well if you're using flash it could be more distracting for the street performers.

I think you are blocking others that is behind you who also wants to view the show?

maybe they afraid your cam drop off or you lose control then cam hit someone on the head.

must use ladder next time, and then can alleviate and still "eye level" :bsmilie:

I could not quite visualise what you were doing when you said that you mounted your camera on a monopod. Japanese as a society emphasise a lot on manners, if they tell you that you should not be doing what you did, it will probably make sense. I would not want people to do things that can be deemed to be dangerous around me or my kids. BTW, I have been to Disneyland 3 times, at no time was it difficult to take photos, so i don't really understand why you are having problems, you did not describe the situation with sufficient details.

prob not forbidden, which is pretty misleading, but more likely you are blocking someone or doing some that is distracting to others. you will have to give more details to help us understand.

To clarify, the height I held is to the extend of my hand could reach the shutter, I was 1.5 m from the person in front, there was nobody behind me as the crowd was 8 people deep, so nobody could see anything at eye-level from where I was.....I have a hand strap on and was using a carbon fibre monopod with a Foba base and RRR L plate, so the camera is very secure, not some cheap flimsy pod.....my balls are not as big as a Stallion, as I paid for my equip with hard earned dollars. I am amused at the conjectures by various parties, but somehow many of the posts have since been removed by the admin. People ware using flash and poping all over the place, so flash is not an issue here nor blockage of view as explained above. The weather was below 5 deg C so everyone was well covered from top to toes....so even if I have intention to get a bird eyeview of people from above as suggested by someone, their modesty would not be compromised. I must say the way some of the others were holding their cam with their hands in the midst of the crowd, chances of clobbering the heads of those in front of them is much greater. In fact some were carrying their child on one hand and the cam on the other. And talking about manners, the agressive way they approach me is not that pleasing either, some 'Chikopeks' were seen groping in the crowds....plus it would be ill-mannered of me to manouver to the front. I guess based on the responses here, I'd probably be stopped if I were in Singapore too. Perhaps its just that we are being consevative, unlike what I see in the West where people do use Monopod to get greater height, of course with due consideration of being at a safe distance from others.

I guess it's your monopod. I was stopped in Kyoto when I mounted my camera on a tripod. No problem if I handheld my shots. It seemed (just my guess) that mounting tripod was only for the camera man doing business shots there. May not be anything cultural, just to let somebody there have a business advantage. But it's just my own speculation, from my own experience.

Japanese men are famous for downblouse shooters ..... :think: and it doesn't help when Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and co. all love low cut, revealing, big bust dresses .....:sweat:

To clarify, the height I held is to the extend of my hand could reach the shutter, I was 1.5 m from the person in front, there was nobody behind me as the crowd was 8 people deep, so nobody could see anything at eye-level from where I was.....I have a hand strap on and was using a carbon fibre monopod with a Foba base and RRR L plate, so the camera is very secure, not some cheap flimsy pod.....my balls are not as big as a Stallion, as I paid for my equip with hard earned dollars. I am amused at the conjectures by various parties, but somehow many of the posts have since been removed by the admin. People ware using flash and poping all over the place, so flash is not an issue here nor blockage of view as explained above. The weather was below 5 deg C so everyone was well covered from top to toes....so even if I have intention to get a bird eyeview of people from above as suggested by someone, their modesty would not be compromised. I must say the way some of the others were holding their cam with their hands in the midst of the crowd, chances of clobbering the heads of those in front of them is much greater. In fact some were carrying their child on one hand and the cam on the other. And talking about manners, the agressive way they approach me is not that pleasing either, some 'Chikopeks' were seen groping in the crowds....plus it would be ill-mannered of me to manouver to the front. I guess based on the responses here, I'd probably be stopped if I were in Singapore too. Perhaps its just that we are being consevative, unlike what I see in the West where people do use Monopod to get greater height, of course with due consideration of being at a safe distance from others.
My best guess? The monopod. :dunno:

Its kinda like.... Ok in a fashion show, everyone around you is crowding around the stage, monopods on cam firing away.
A guy right at the back of the crowd, decided to get 1" up higher, brings out his ladder and climbs on top and starts shooting.
You are the security personnel there and seeing that the show's pretty popular and expecting more ppl, u saw that guy prominently on top of the ladder shooting even though he's a distance away from the shooters, what would you do?

Just an analogical question. Don't have to let us know the answer. Some answers are best internalized then spoken out.

Japanese men are famous for downblouse shooters ..... :think: and it doesn't help when Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and co. all love low cut, revealing, big bust dresses .....:sweat:

pardon me but that is a horrible remark to make.
even in jest, it is not funny at all.

i had absolutely no problem shooting with my camera handheld above my eye level. i've done that standing beside a security personnel in a shrine before. it's most probably your usage of the monopod. most if not all tourism related facilities in Japan do not allow for the usage of monopods and tripods for safety reasons. usually they'll have that instruction printed on pamphlets or the entry tickets.

:nono:

Wrong impression...Disney Princesses do not dress like that one lar. Remember, this is a 'kid-friendly' company we're talking about. Although personally I find Jasmine (from Aladdin) dress is quite sexy though. Mid-riff baring. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.