For those with SLRs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necroist

Jan 27, 2002
www.ragingbox.com
Do you carry them whenever you go out?

Unlike digital cameras where its mostly light and pretty portable, the SLR is so much heavier.

Do you guys receive stares when you strap your camera over your neck as you walk casually around orchard road?

I put it in my camera bag and bring around. I only take out when I need to shoot.

so you'll usually leave the flim in the camera all the time?

Will there be any problems storing flim in a camera, un-used for long periods of time?

I usually finish a roll within 2-3weeks. All my other slides are in the fridge.

My everyday camera is a Coolpix 950. The SLR is too heavy and cumbersome to carry around everyday. If I have to finish off a roll of film, I sometimes just bring along an old Nikon FE + 50mm lens. :)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Necroist
Do you carry them whenever you go out?

Unlike digital cameras where its mostly light and pretty portable, the SLR is so much heavier.

Do you guys receive stares when you strap your camera over your neck as you walk casually around orchard road?

yea... me do it too, unless i've got too much things to carry or goin for swim, gym ,etc then won't bring... incase kena stolen.

bring it where-ever u go la... i oso using a conventional SLR.. summore it's a nikon fm2... it's really heavy... but it's worth it when u've got to capture something u realli like. =)

i think most prob you're facing some problems...
maybe u could learn frm this guy...
http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/

thanks for the link. its a good read.

i've just developed my test 12 exposure roll of flim (my first shots with my new slr)

seems like i only got 1 sharp shot (outdoor shot) out of the 12.

The rest which are indoor shots and taken with my cam's "P" mode aka. auto settings. are either blurish or yellowish. :(

thanks for the link. its a good read.

i've just developed my test 12 exposure roll of flim (my first shots with my new slr)

seems like i only got 1 sharp shot (outdoor shot) out of the 12.

The rest which are indoor shots and taken with my cam's "P" mode aka. auto settings. are either blurish or yellowish. :(

Yellowish may be due to the colour cast by filament lamps. Blur probably due to low lighting condition. I guess u are using the kit lens and built in flash so the focussing of the camera is probably very slow and inaccurate. I had this problem when I was using the kit lens for my 505si. Switching to a 50mm prime and a Tamron 24-135 solved the problem together with a external flash. The flash has a AF assist that helps speed up focussing and its accuracy. Outdoor shots tend to look sharp cos there is a lot more available light.

i don't have flash on my cam..
i'm looking for a flash unit to purchase for it (minolta x-700)

i don't have flash on my cam..
i'm looking for a flash unit to purchase for it (minolta x-700)

no flash + indoor... the blurish is probably due to hand shake as shutter speed would be slow in low light.

test your camera outdoor with ample light. would give much better results. but don't try in overcast day. my test with my new SLR have some blur shots also cos the shutter speed is slower than 1/60 already and i don't have steady hand. anything faster than 1/120s shd guarantee sharpness (unless it's not focussed well).

For me, any shutter speed at 1/20 and below will be raelly shak. 1/30 is still okay but visibly blur. Anything at 1/60 is okay. Do take note of your shutter speed. U can try going to The Camera Workshop and also the shop beside Cathay Photo that deals with 2nd hand stuff. They may have a suitable flash. I wonder if the new generations of flashes like the 3500, 5400, 5600, etc can be used.

rather troublesome to carry SLR everywhere, I still got a laptop to carry. Unless got car.

Originally posted by ninelives
rather troublesome to carry SLR everywhere, I still got a laptop to carry. Unless got car.

Troublesome but more irritating when u find that what u have in hand (p&s) or inadequate lens does not allow to capture what u want?! But I seldom walk around with a camera to take photos. Usually it is a specific trip for taking photos. Then not siong mah, cos only carry the camera, tripod and film.

Status
Not open for further replies.