For those with nikon lens, which would u choose?

Which category do u belong to?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavenderlilz

Jun 2, 2002
hErE lAh
As above. For those who already have either D100 or S2Pro & those who intend to buy.

For those who don't intend to buy, then dun poll lor :p

hmmm .....

wat if me dont intend to buy a DSLR ..... ?? ..... :bsmilie:

:D

Lil...... you just HAD to come up with this poll didn't you??!!!! Anyway, my mind is made up..... :devil:

It seems like D100 is more popular than the S2. I heard that the D100 tends to produce slightly underexposed pictures and the S2 in this area is better.

As I said, I heard it. Any truth in this?

Also, can I hear from the D100 owners why they chose D100 instead of the S2?

I am interested to know because I am undecided on which model to get for myself. :D

Originally posted by maddog
D100 underexposes by 0.5 stop. This is one of the main gripes about the D100 besides the MB-D100 not fitting well.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

A bit over-exagerrated IMHO. I find that this "underexposure" doesn't really happen if you are shooting a low contrast scene. But in high contrast scenes, the camera chooses to expose for highlights.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Nickle
It seems like D100 is more popular than the S2. I heard that the D100 tends to produce slightly underexposed pictures and the S2 in this area is better.

As I said, I heard it. Any truth in this?

Also, can I hear from the D100 owners why they chose D100 instead of the S2?

I am interested to know because I am undecided on which model to get for myself. :D

Chose D100 over S2 because:

1. 0.3 stop EV adjustments
2. Vertical grip option
3. Bigger viewfinder
4. Very responsive body.

Got several more....

But that is not to say S2 is lousy. S2 produces one of the best out-of-camera images among the DSLRs. You can probably list why you prefer the S2 as well. So just see what features are important to you, what quirks you can live with, etc.

Regards
CK

Thank you CK. That was truly helpful. :thumbsup:

Chose S2 because of :

1. Better out-of-camera JPEGs (had experience with Fuji 6900Z, that convinced me that I like Fuji's output)
2. Ability to meter correctly with non-DX speedlights (big plus, in my opinion)
3. Firewire (you can get a card reader that is faster than camera-tethered download on slow USB 1.1)
4. Quick option setting via 2nd LCD panel (this is done really well)

And after I got the camera, I can add one more to the list :
5. Ergonomics ... how it feels in your hand (now my F80 feels puny !)

Where I feel the D100 has an edge :
a. Battery (though I don't mind rechargeable AAs)
b. 3fps vs 2fps (nice to have)
c. 1/3 stop exp comp vs 1/2 stop (quite useful for tricky situations)
d. LCD screen protector (to review properly, I have to take off Fuji's horrible translucent plastic)

To tell you the truth, I'd be happy with either of the F-mount DSLRs, they're both engineered very well.

For those with D100, does the limitation of it not having anything below ISO 200 bother you?

For me, I would choose S2 pro because it has ISO 100. But I am also attracted to D100 because of the advantages the rest have mentioned.

quick! buy! buy liao let me try! ;p ;p
is the 12-24mm coming out with the pent*ist?

Originally posted by sfhuang
For those with D100, does the limitation of it not having anything below ISO 200 bother you?

For me, I would choose S2 pro because it has ISO 100. But I am also attracted to D100 because of the advantages the rest have mentioned.

Frankly, it doesn't. The D100 is a very robust low noise performer, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprise to see how well the "ISO 200" rates against the competitions' ISO 100. :)

One important thing to note is, you can get good out of the box color from the D100 if you master WB, it really isn't that hard nor is it rocket science. The same goes to the S2 Pro, if your WB setting is screwed, your color will be totally off too, don't expect too much from it unless one is willing to put effort in learning how WB works for digital cameras.

Built wise, the D100 isn't exactly using a F80 incarnated body, but rather, something that is between a F80 and a F100. This is the reason why it has a much more robust feel/grip than the rest of the offerings. :)

Thanks for posting.

Which camera is better able to handle low light situations eg wedding dinners in ballroom where the light can be extremely dim or barely there when they switch everything off?

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
Thanks for posting.

Which camera is better able to handle low light situations eg wedding dinners in ballroom where the light can be extremely dim or barely there when they switch everything off?

In such dim conditions if u have AF light and a bright lens they shd both be the same, since both f80 AF, otherwise both should suck badly.

Agree with Avatar, most of the time when people say "DSLR output is crappy" it's because of wrong WB settings. Practice, practice, practice ...

The other thing about S2 is that the viewfinder is "cropped" ... I can't remember the view from D100 as it's been a while since I played with my bro-in-law's D100, but it may bother some people. Look through it, compare to F80, and you can see the diff. Just something you may want to note ... doesn't bother me, but it'll feel weird to some.

Build quality / robustness ... well, depends on how you want to use it ... if you compare D100 vs D1, then no contest as well :) ... same thing comparing 10D vs 1D ...

Note that ISO1600 on S2 is pretty good, very little noise. My baby doesn't like flashes, so I must go high ISO, wide aperture ... otherwise every photo blurred.

Originally posted by ericp
Agree with Avatar, most of the time when people say "DSLR output is crappy" it's because of wrong WB settings. Practice, practice, practice ...

The other thing about S2 is that the viewfinder is "cropped" ... I can't remember the view from D100 as it's been a while since I played with my bro-in-law's D100, but it may bother some people. Look through it, compare to F80, and you can see the diff. Just something you may want to note ... doesn't bother me, but it'll feel weird to some.

Build quality / robustness ... well, depends on how you want to use it ... if you compare D100 vs D1, then no contest as well :) ... same thing comparing 10D vs 1D ...

Note that ISO1600 on S2 is pretty good, very little noise. My baby doesn't like flashes, so I must go high ISO, wide aperture ... otherwise every photo blurred.

S2 viewfinder is indeed cropped. The D100 viewfinder is bigger. Because of this, the S2 viewfinder appears further from the meter, which can bother some people. Brightness looks about the same.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by maddog
D100 underexposes by 0.5 stop. This is one of the main gripes about the D100 besides the MB-D100 not fitting well.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

The underexposure is a misunderstanding by many beginners. A few people had used controlled environment to meter the camera: it was on the dot. The reason for the "underexposure" is that the camera is saving the photograph (and the photographer's @ss). It will meter it to the highlights and normally put it at the mid point.

Recently, I took some photos of Sentosa in the evening before sunset. When I look at the built in histogram, it showed the peak and graph ending at the mid point. I wondered why and when I reached home, I expanded the range. What the camera did was to preserve the shadows. Under exposure can be recovered quite easily and the shadow details are preserved. If overexposed, nothing can bring back the data...

Status
Not open for further replies.