For those who do 8R prints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revo

Oct 7, 2002
Singapore bo gway hai!
Visit site
I need feedback.......

As abv, who does his pics from a photo printer and at the same time from a pro lab?

Would like some feedback......

Would also like to find out.....how does a pro lab make sure the pics they receive from the customers are what the customer sees on his/her computer.....?

How are digital n film photos develop in pro labs nowadays??

Doing this for a project.....hence really would hope to get inputs...:)

Labs either don't correct, or do basic "Auto Levels" type correction to digital files. The one I use doesn't correct, reason being customers will be doing the correction at home before sending to them, and their correction will override the customer's. Not good.

They have no way to make sure their print match your monitor. You just have to make sure YOUR monitor is properly calibrated and profiled. The better labs will probably have a calibrated system as well, and thus prints should match.

Most labs nowadays use digital minilabs which can handle both film and digital files. For film, what happens is that the film is developed and then scanned into digital files at the appropriate resolution for the print size. This file is then digitally printed onto traditional photo paper. The technology to do this is similar to laser printing, RGB LEDs/Laser? are used.

For negative/slide to print, the good labs will usually individually correct EACH frame. The neighbourhood/regular labs will most likely run the machine in full auto mode, which usually leads to unsatistactory prints.

Regards
CK

So now i know.....

Thx alot for the info ckiang....

Do u happen to do 8R prints on film n digital.......(to anyone reading as well...)

How does it compare against each other?
Assuming the same lens is used. oni diff would probably be body....(not asking for flames....but really just for info/knowledge itself)

:D :D

I echo the above.

My current workflow(still in development), is to correct everything at home and tell the lab explicitly not to correct for anything, color, gama or even sharpness.

Note that u must find a lab who understands what <no correction> means. Not many do.

I've given up on labs long time ago... I'm now doing all my prints myself... both digital and film/slides.
Got myself the Epson Stylus Photo 2100 and it is giving me a lot more freedom in controlling what I want as the final result. So far prints up to A4 size are great but I will be testing out A3 prints soon!

so far my experience with Photo Friends has been good (they didn't correct when I told them not to) and the prints were sharp.

Feel that a printer is very economical for good quality large prints, especially 8R and above. For small prints, it'll be expensive when you consider both the cost of ink and coated paper.

I suppose what mpenza said is rather true. I go to the shops to get my 4R prints but when I want to do 8R prints I'd rather get it straight from my printer at home. Most printers can produce rather acceptable quality....

I print anything bigger than 4R myself. While they look very good, it still loses to a lab print in terms of colour, contrast, etc. Sharpness is no issue though. Either it's me or something, but the lab one looks "less digital" and has more accurate colours. But if you don't put them side by side, the inkjet prints are very, very good.

Regards
CK

great to c all this inputs....

This seriously is gona help alot in my project....

I think i try to do some comparisons between a lab 8r n a print out from a printer at home.....

Status
Not open for further replies.