For those who carry camera backpacks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
Where do you store your miscellaneous items like drinking bottle, maybe reflectors (frot hose who do portraits) etc etc?

Do you carry a separate bag for these? I'm thinking if shoulder-strapped camera bags are more useful. Then at least I can use my other usual knapsack to carry the various other non-camera stuffs...

David said:
Where do you store your miscellaneous items like drinking bottle, maybe reflectors (frot hose who do portraits) etc etc?

Do you carry a separate bag for these? I'm thinking if shoulder-strapped camera bags are more useful. Then at least I can use my other usual knapsack to carry the various other non-camera stuffs...

there are some lowepro series that allows u to store ur cam at the bottom compartment, and ur personal items at the top compartment. check it out at www.lowepro.com. ;)

David said:

Hi David

You may want to consider this, stock will arrive CP Marina end of this month.
Lowepro Backpack Rover AW II
size (exterior):
13W x 8D x 21H in. (33 x 20.5 x 53.5 cm)
top compartment size (interior):
11W x 5.5D x 11H in. (28 x 14 x 28 cm)
bottom compartment size (interior):
11W x 5.5D x 10H in. (28 x 14 x 25.5 cm)
Enough to fit camera, lots of batteries and filters, Flash, cleaning kits, personal accessories like clothing, water bottle and Tripod.
Suitable for overseas backpack for cameras, long duration carrying of heavy accessories and tripods.

S_F-Rover-AW_2.gif

Thanks King Tiger and Night Wolf...

The Rover looks great. It says it can store a pro body SLR with 80-200mm f/2.8 lens attached. But from the picture, the bottom compartment looks quite small to me... Maybe it's just the diagram.

Have you seen the bag before?

David said:

The Rover looks great. It says it can store a pro body SLR with 80-200mm f/2.8 lens attached. But from the picture, the bottom compartment looks quite small to me... Maybe it's just the diagram.

dun think a 80-200 can fit... not unless u remove the divider from the top portion of the bag... but it can fit my 300D, 550EX, 180mm tamron macro, 70-200L IS, 1.4X and 2X TC

I use a lowepro water bottle pouch, :) I can slot in a 1 litre bottle in it, I can tag it on my backpack or sling bag. One of those nifty accessories that can be used on lowepro designs.

hm... so how much does this bag cost ?

Hmmm....anyone ever consider the Rover AW Plus? It is a bigger version than Rover AW II.

David said:

hmm... if u wish to attach ur 80-200mm lens to ur cam body, the bottom compartment might not fit. u'll have to remove the paddings and divider to fit. for lowepro, suggested options for cam + 80-200mm would be the photo trekker or nature trekker. i'm using the nature trekker AW (1st gen) which can take my 300D with 70-300mm lens attached comfortably.

however, if u wish to carry a lot of barang-barang (t-shirts, water bottles etc), guess u'll have to consider the backpack options. either dat, or u'll have to carry a smaller backpack for ur other stuff, together with ur cam bag.

I use a Crumpler Farmer's Double. It's something like the Rover AW Plus, but a bit smaller. I use it regularly when travelling, camera equipment in the bottom, a 1.5l water bottle in the top, with guide book, jackets, film, misc. barang barang. It's quite comfy too, and relatively water resistant. :D

Am using the Rover AW II. Used it for 3 weeks in Nepal. Used it as a daypack while trekking. Here's what I carried:

1) 1 litre Nalgene bottle
2) 1 Nikon F80 body
3) Sigma 15mm Fisheye
4) Tamron 24-135mm
5) Batteries
6) Film (About 2 Rolls per day)
7) Lowepro Sliplock Pouch 50 AW on the waistbelt to store muesli bars and notes, sunscreen, shades.
8) Extra layers of clothes in the top compartment

My take on the bag:

- Tough material. Withstands a lotta rough handling and dirt.
- I feel that the shoulder straps and waistbelt are a bit too thin. Would have liked it more plush.
- Manages weight well. It may be heavy when u carry it with your hand but once its on your shoulders, with the straps properly adjusted and buckled, you dun really feel it.
- I like the size..its just nice for me. And you can carry it on board a plane.
- AW cover finally served its purpose on the last day of the trek when it rained!
- Used the tripod holder to store my trekking pole!

Would say its a great bag for travelling. Just a bit troublesome when you have to change lenses and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.