For those who are going to Melaka for food

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheechee

Sep 22, 2002
Sengkang
Visit site
Well, well, as a malaccan, been asked a lot of times by frens on where to try out the original melaka chicken ball rice and also lot lot(aka satay celup)

So, while typing a reply for my fren on this, why not just share it out here too? For those who are interested to know some few melaka food that is famous among the locals.

1) Lot Lot (Satay Celup) and maybe Yuan1 Yang1 drinks(mixture of soya bean drinks and liang2 fen3)

For lot lot, if u are in the city area, try to ask people for direction to capitol lot lot, it is situated near the cheng ho temple(Sam Poh Kong Temple), the temple is situated at Jln Bkt Cina.

Besides that, the san1 bao3 jing3 soya bean drink in front of the capitol lot lot is also very famous, its mixture of Soya bean drink and liang2 fen3 (also call yuan1 yang1 in Chinese for the mixture) is superb. The drink stall is only open during daytime and not opened on Sunday, whilst the capitol lot lot is only opened during night time and closed in daytime.

Capitol is one of the longest serving lot lot shop in melaka, but if u are not too used on the hygiene level of capitol,there is another newly opened lot lot shop just ard the corner, ask ard and u will find ur
Way.

Btw, if the person u asked dun know what lot lot is (which is not so possible, just in case), lot lot is also named as Satay Celup.

2) Chinese Chicken Rice Ball

As for chicken rice. Well, well. The original chicken ball rice shop is served in a shop of long history in melaka, the owner is hainanese.(i happen to know that becoz i myself am one too and overheard them converse in the dialect while i frequent the shop)
It is situated opposite OCBC Bank in melaka, just along Jonker Street. If you happen to be at the famous tourist spot of christ church(with the famous fountain in front and the holland style clock tower), just look ard and you will surely be able to spot the OCBC sign, walk right over and voila! Nice chicken rice ball.
We will call it Shop A
The chicken rice ball here is nice, the white chicken is also superb.(well, if u are really into chicken rice, you will not eat roasted chicken rice right? =p )

If it is too crowded, less than 5 steps from the shop, there is another small chicken rice shop(forgot the name, but this two shops are really very nearby) just beside another bank, coincidently the bank is also opposite of the SHOP A. We will call it SHOP B
White chicken here is also superb, i like the peanut soup especially. So soothing.

Well, of course there are other larger and newly opened shops that labelled "MELAKA CHICKEN RICE BALL SHOP" and some even serve lot lot too. But that remained to be the favourite of tourists that took the wrong turn and prefer its hygiene level.

If you prefer that, not a problem too. It is also not bad.
But if u really wanna try food we locals eat, u can refer to the direction i shared above.

Cheers.

If the response is nice, will post additional guides on whereabout to try out other nice stuffs in melaka.
:D

Went to a place called Umbai which is famaous for the seafood (malay style).....but I forget how to go there again..... :(
Quite outskirt, but definately worth it if you like spicy food.

HOw abt some more recommendations for seafood which is tasty yet cheap (not malay style)......

scud said:
Went to a place called Umbai which is famaous for the seafood (malay style).....but I forget how to go there again..... :(
Quite outskirt, but definately worth it if you like spicy food.

HOw abt some more recommendations for seafood which is tasty yet cheap (not malay style)......

well, by that u mean chinese style? if for malay style seafood, if u have car, u can drive along to merlimau it, very very nice..

yes, umbai is also one of the spot.

As for chinese style, it is spreaded out, there are a few but quite difficult if u travel without car.

what kind of seafood u prefer more? maybe with more info i can intro

cheechee

i tried the chicken ball place near ocbc,
i love the assam fish too, its great with the rice ball.

but where to find good and reasonable peranakan chinese food?
i tried a few places but they are only so so, and overly priced imho

Peranakan food? Coupla places:
- Auntie Lee wins hands down. Prepared by the Auntie herself. Best Chendol in Malacca IMHO.
- Auntie Suan. Decent. Cooked by non-peranakans though
- Ole Sayang. Nice decor, passable food.

Must try the Kopi-Kao along Chinatown. Sip, don't slurp. Then sit back and enjoy the view. Also guranteed to keep you awake for the drive home. Closest competitor this side of the causeway is the coffee on the Golden Bridge - Shenton way.

Breakfast must try the Bah-Kut-Teh.

Red-House has become a tourist attraction. Crummy, overpriced & messy.

Just love to spend lazy weekends up there..

Status
Not open for further replies.