For those that want to discuss Superman & spoilers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdredd

Mar 30, 2006
i saw it, was a really good show. well cast. but too many stupid plot holes to make it a great movie..

First, whilst Lex Luthor was taken there, how would he know exactly where to go back to Superman's home. Secondly, it's a bit convenient that its just off the coastline, I always had the impression it was deep inland.

Also, why do you need to get a rocket to fire the crystal/kryptonite into the ocean and then flee by helicopter because the ship is not far enough away when could have just flow to the area and dropped it into the water by helicopter and then flown away.

As someone else mentioned, carrying a big island of rock is hard enough on a normal day, but to do so with kryptonite crystals all around u? As someone else mentioned, how does Louis lane not know about kryptonite.

Also, the timing issue is very odd. He was meant to be away for 5 years. But Louis's son also looks to be AT least 5 or 6 years old. So in order for her story to be believable, and assuming it IS superman's son, then she would have had to get together with her new boyfriend almost as soon as Superman was gone. Which doesn't seem in character..

However, if you give her say, a year to get over him, plus another year to meet the guy and then get "pregnant", then the story falls down, because he cant then be superman's son, and the son himself could be no older than 2 or 3..

Finally, at the end, Lex is left stranded on a very tiny island, with a coconut tree. Bear in mind that all the action was meant to have taken place off New York, and a helicopter has very limited range, it is inconceivable that there is any such island within a helicopter's flying range of the coast of New York. For any other director, I could overlook this. But this is the man who gave us Usual Suspects… So such errors are really unforgivable.

I also noted that Superman does not actually exist in the real world...

jdredd said:
First, whilst Lex Luthor was taken there, how would he know exactly where to go back to Superman's home. Secondly, it's a bit convenient that its just off the coastline, I always had the impression it was deep inland.

Also, why do you need to get a rocket to fire the crystal/kryptonite into the ocean and then flee by helicopter because the ship is not far enough away when could have just flow to the area and dropped it into the water by helicopter and then flown away.

As someone else mentioned, carrying a big island of rock is hard enough on a normal day, but to do so with kryptonite crystals all around u? As someone else mentioned, how does Louis lane not know about kryptonite.

Also, the timing issue is very odd. He was meant to be away for 5 years. But Louis's son also looks to be AT least 5 or 6 years old. So in order for her story to be believable, and assuming it IS superman's son, then she would have had to get together with her new boyfriend almost as soon as Superman was gone. Which doesn't seem in character..

However, if you give her say, a year to get over him, plus another year to meet the guy and then get "pregnant", then the story falls down, because he cant then be superman's son, and the son himself could be no older than 2 or 3..

Finally, at the end, Lex is left stranded on a very tiny island, with a coconut tree. Bear in mind that all the action was meant to have taken place off New York, and a helicopter has very limited range, it is inconceivable that there is any such island within a helicopter's flying range of the coast of New York. For any other director, I could overlook this. But this is the man who gave us Usual Suspects… So such errors are really unforgivable.

Lex has known about the location of the Fortress of Solitude since Superman II.

What does Lois' boyfriend have anything to do with superspawn?

Superman carried that big chunk of kryptonite laced rock in the sunlight (at least there was sunlight when the kryptonite started protruding near him)

There is no New York. Its Metropolis. :p

jdredd said:
i saw it, was a really good show. well cast. but too many stupid plot holes to make it a great movie..

It is just friction .... I know no real life heros wearing red or pink underwear outside.

Plot whilst , i think it is pretty boring and slow. Lex Luther looks more like clown than the comic depicit villian. Superman looks too young too... he looks abit like a "boy". I still prefer Christorpher Reeve.

kitkat said:
It is just friction .... I know no real life heros wearing red or pink underwear outside.

Plot whilst , i think it is pretty boring and slow. Les Luther looks more like clown than the comic depicit villian. Superman looks too young too... he looks abit like a "boy". I still prefer Christorpher Reeve.

get a grip... he is never coming back... ;p

but den again... i always find movie's lex luthor more like clowns than in comics or animations... Gene Hackman & now Kevin Spacey... instead of sinister smile, they look more like ahrm chio...

jdredd said:

Coz he knew that in Superman 2.
Actually, its quite far from the coastline. The camera showed them landing on the edge of the ice and then travelled some distance inland. Dont think they wanna show you Lex Luthors and gang travelling over all that snow...:)

Coz Lex is always for drama. Notice he had a camera filming all his great ideas. If he dropped it just like that, no drama.

Btw, notice that the missle launcher is a Made in USA TOW missle launcher. But the controls are russian... Hehe trying to kid the general audience again....

Well, he tried to carve out a huge chunk of the seabed to go with the crystal. But it began to crumble as he went up. The kyptonite only became exposed much later. Besides, he was already flying with some sun powering him (gee... solar powered). Louis Lane did say that she knows that superman is afraid of kryptonite. Thats why he persuaded the husband to fly back to help him... of course then again, why help only once... maybe she thought, "Heck it! Help you once and you still geh geh go back.... dont care liao lah! Dunno why you so attached to Lex anyway...";)

Maybe Kryptonians take 2 yrs in the womb but grow faster once they come out. That would explain why the boy is so quiet - like a 3 yr old... 5 yrs old already can talk quite a bit and are usually curious. Also explain why Lois didnt know the child is superman's. Only found out when the boy threw the piano at tha bad guy.

Coz its Metropolis hahaha!
Anyway, I also wondered if Gotham City was listed in Lex Luthor's map... that scene was too fast for me to catch.;)

jdredd said:

yeah i agree with this... timing something wrong... since it's superman's kid, that means he must have been born at most 9 or 10 mths after superman left. which means that unless lois lane got together with cyclops almost immediately after superman left, he MUST know that it's not his kid...

hmm... this make me think about...

when superman's supergun fires supersperm.... will it travel faster than speeding bullet? wouldn't it shoot a hole in the poor girl?

pai said:
when superman's supergun fires supersperm.... will it travel faster than speeding bullet? wouldn't it shoot a hole in the poor girl?

Actaully, in the comic version, Superman has a kid with Wonder Woman. Precisely, coz earthlings cannot handle his.... *ahem*....:bsmilie:

Zplus said:
Actaully, in the comic version, Superman has a kid with Wonder Woman. Precisely, coz earthlings cannot handle his.... *ahem*....:bsmilie:

Wonder Woman is not earthling? :embrass:

Paul_Yeo said:
Wonder Woman is not earthling? :embrass:

Haha, you are right of couse, yes an earthling... just that she is not exactly a normal human. Wonder Woman has superhuman capabilities granted by the greek gods - among them super strength and can fly.:)

Some say, her powers is second to Superman in DC.

Zplus said:
Haha, you are right of couse, yes an earthling... just that she is not exactly a normal human. Wonder Woman has superhuman capabilities granted by the greek gods - among them super strength and can fly.:)

Some say, her powers is second to Superman in DC.

u mean she got strength to tahan & when the bullet eject, she can fly with the momentum? :bsmilie:

What kind of crappy material is his suit made from? It is bulletproof but Lex Luther could use the kryptonite peice and stab thru it.

Haven't watched it yet and having second thoughts... unlike other super-hero, it seems he only have lex luthor for villain for the past 5 movies, and the main villain for the last 2 tv series. The only special effects I can see is how to stay away from R-ratings with that tight red pa... costume. No offense and I like lex luthor but some more colorful enemies would be welcome.

Can't wait for spider-man and his black alien costume next year.

Yeah! We need more villians!! Sick of Lex. How about Braniac or bring back Zod and his gang from Superman II.. All will bow to Zod!!!

dawgbyte77 said:
Haven't watched it yet and having second thoughts... unlike other super-hero, it seems he only have lex luthor for villain for the past 5 movies, and the main villain for the last 2 tv series. The only special effects I can see is how to stay away from R-ratings with that tight red pa... costume. No offense and I like lex luthor but some more colorful enemies would be welcome.

Can't wait for spider-man and his black alien costume next year.

venom anybody? haha...

reno77 said:
What kind of crappy material is his suit made from? It is bulletproof but Lex Luther could use the kryptonite peice and stab thru it.

think there is a force field that he generate over his body that protects his clothings and body from any physical attacks... the field will break with kryptonite.

jdredd said:

IF u had followed the Superman I and Superman II timeline, that was not the first time Lex Luthor went to the Fortress of Solitude.

The words that Kitty Kowalski had said, "How do u know? U sound like as if you had been here before." and Lex Luthor kept quiet and smiled at her is one of the biggest hint dropped.

Kiasee-ness? They tried a miniscular piece of crystal on a pool of water and it rocked Lex Luthor's house and caused a blackout. Also, notice the electrical storms when the kryptonite land rose outta the sea? It might simply zap the heli outta the sky and Superman wun be beaten all half-dead and stabbed with a kryptonite fragment.

Superman required the light of a Yellow Sun to regenerate his powers. When he lifted the landmass up, its possible that the seabed acted like a barrier between the kryptonite crystals and Superman.

When Superman reached outer space, whilst most of the landmass had fallen, the light of the yellow sun reached him as well, probably he was on the last shreds of his powers as such he threw the landmass to outer space and fell back to Earth instead of flying back.

Wrong again. I'm saying this on the assumption that u did not watch Superman II at all.

Before Superman went into the molecule chamber to strip himself of his powers in Superman II he *ahemed* with Lois Lane. Following after that, he went into the molecule chamber and the events of Superman II took place.

Superman Returns was set in a timeline AFTER Superman II for like 5yrs. Assuming astronomers found fragments of Planet Krypton 1yr after the events of Superman II, his son would be like 4 to 5yrs old.

Well, Singapore has lotsa small tiny islands surrounding us which are reachable by helicopter, not known to most Singaporeans, much less a country as big as United States which probably contain a couple of thousand isles that would not be mapped on a regular map.

So, u're saying? :think:

seankyh said:
Yeah! We need more villians!! Sick of Lex. How about Braniac or bring back Zod and his gang from Superman II.. All will bow to Zod!!!
Zod had already been exposed to the Red Krypton Sun Rays in Superman II and rumbled down the Fortress of Solitude and had his hand bones crushed to bits by Superman. So, its highly impossible u'll ever hear things like...

COME TO ME SON OF JOR-EL! KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!! *dooooshhh*

Status
Not open for further replies.