For the second time this happen to my EPL

doranlum

Sep 22, 2008
For the second time my EPL7 lens is having issue again where the lens will go crazy and it will show "Please check the status of the lens". I had pay $150 to get it repair the first time it happen and now it happen again. It is such a disappointing to spoil my holiday.

Which lens? The 14-42mm II is a problematic lens.

Try with another lens to see whether that happens again

For the second time my EPL7 lens is having issue again where the lens will go crazy and it will show "Please check the status of the lens". I had pay $150 to get it repair the first time it happen and now it happen again. It is such a disappointing to spoil my holiday.

First thing is to clean the electrical contacts on camera body and lens.It may not be the lens but the body.

Call it luck of the draw or heng sway. Probably will get worse over time and suddenly will not work like before.Unless you are a hardcore diyer or electronic hobbyist who know how to repair competantly this will be beyond your capability. Other than changing the main/motherboard the alternative (if cost is cheap which is never the case) is to get another camera and sell epl7 if it is about 3 years old. ;) How I know? I bought a not working olympus and disassemble it to troubleshoot.

There is a common component that is used in the billions each year that industry experts say failure problem will always be present just the nature of the material, manufacturing process and handling, design, wear out and aging.

Hint..if this component's manufacturing yield is 98% (good parts in the billions) 2% potential defects means there are millions out there wating to fail! Remember it's the camera's body controls that give out the error message! This component comprise 30% of the BOM (bill of materials) of the camera electronics. PS you can't visually see the defect as it's internal and microscopic in dimension.

EDIT: If you test with another lens and it works...just take it as an intermittent one off thing it may not come or happen again. The choice is yours.Hope you have another lens or spare.

Last edited:
Yes it's the kit lens 14-42mm

Thank you so much. I am evaluating my option as the lens is faulty again within less than a year on my holiday. Not much faith in this brand anymore. Really is depends on luck I guess.

First thing is to clean the electrical contacts on camera body and lens.It may not be the lens but the body.

Call it luck of the draw or heng sway. Probably will get worse over time and suddenly will not work like before.Unless you are a hardcore diyer or electronic hobbyist who know how to repair competantly this will be beyond your capability. Other than changing the main/motherboard the alternative (if cost is cheap which is never the case) is to get another camera and sell epl7 if it is about 3 years old. ;) How I know? I bought a not working olympus and disassemble it to troubleshoot.

There is a common component that is used in the billions each year that industry experts say failure problem will always be present just the nature of the material, manufacturing process and handling, design, wear out and aging.

Hint..if this component's manufacturing yield is 98% (good parts in the billions) 2% potential defects means there are millions out there wating to fail! Remember it's the camera's body controls that give out the error message! This component comprise 30% of the BOM (bill of materials) of the camera electronics. PS you can't visually see the defect as it's internal and microscopic in dimension.

EDIT: If you test with another lens and it works...just take it as an intermittent one off thing it may not come or happen again. The choice is yours.Hope you have another lens or spare.

Yes it's the kit lens 14-42mm

To get a similar lens here in CS cost less than a 100.
I have a faulty 14-42mm II by the way. Since not worth repairing, I convert it into a macro lens :)

It's a common problem with this lens, I would recommend the panasonic 12-32mm lens as an optional kit. and if you can find the panasonic 35-100 F4-5.6, it's nice fit to Pen series.

had the same issue with my (old) Olympus kit lens...

Decided to just buy a used Panasonic version

Thank you so much. I am evaluating my option as the lens is faulty again within less than a year on my holiday. Not much faith in this brand anymore. Really is depends on luck I guess.

I got the Panasonic 12-32/3.5-5.6 and I like it as it is way better than the 14-42

I got the Panasonic 12-32/3.5-5.6 and I like it as it is way better than the 14-42

The Pana 12-32 is overall a very good lens (compact, light, sharp) but one thing to note is it can be quite fragile. I had broken one before when I accidentally turned it beyond the 0 marking in the wrong way back then. However if you compare the 12-32 against the Oly 14-42 variants, the Pana 12-32 is definitely better.