For product videos what would be a good lens to get?

jesskoh

Aug 29, 2017
SG
Any suggestions? 50mm?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I use to do product demo videos indoor for our products that we bring in. Currently using a Sony Slt a65 with the kit lens. Does anyone think any lens will help improve the quality?

I use to do product demo videos indoor for our products that we bring in. Currently using a Sony Slt a65 with the kit lens. Does anyone think any lens will help improve the quality?

Without a point of reference (e.g. what results you are currently getting and what you're hoping to improve), hard to make any specific comments. A sample video that shows what you're referring to, might help others give more concrete comments. :)

In general, I'd think lighting, framing, some camera movement (simple slides, pans, etc), editing style would matter more than lens choice for stuff like product videos. A lot can definitely be done with a kit lens. If you're struggling with lowlight indoors, getting a 50 isn't going to magically fix that problem. 50mm would be tight if you're depending on it alone, but something like a 50mm/1.8 does come in handy for some types of shots, e.g. when you want shallow DOF, if you wanna rack focus with shallow DOF, etc.

YouTube .be/68eSPmKSHlA

Here is a video for reference. Actually not too much of a problem with lighting as it is a indoor setup just that wondering if a 50mm prime lens would be better as I read that it mimick the human eye more

YouTube .be/68eSPmKSHlA

Here is a video for reference. Actually not too much of a problem with lighting as it is a indoor setup just that wondering if a 50mm prime lens would be better as I read that it mimick the human eye more

Sorry can't seem to post link.

Note to moderator if I can't post links here please let me know I can take the link down

A kit lens is good enough if the field of view and the minimum focusing distance is appropriate for your demo surface.
Stop down the aperture to get a deeper DOF so that the camera doesn't have to hunt. That will mean using some form of lighting so that your ISO is kept in the operable range.
If your camera cannot focus at the desired distance, you can attach a close up filter. If you need to do extreme macro, invert the lens like so:
reverse-lens-macro-close-up-photography-04.jpg

I got 1 question I am using the kit lens and even at F 8.0

When I take a product say a handphone case. When I focus on the front, the back gets blurred out. What should I do. Lower the aperture even more?

Short answer is yes. But for even deeper DOF, you can use a shorter focal length. The camera with the shortest focal length is your handphone – likely 4mm.
OK so the dslr may not be able to capture sure a deep depth of field even with a change of lens is it?

Thanks for the advice by the way

Yes, the widest rectilinear lens for full frame and APS-C is 10mm, for M43 maybe 7mm. It will be so wide, you will have to crop the centre of the image to avoid barrel distortion. Might as well use a 1/5" sensor camcorder or a handphone.

Last edited:
Thank you. Will try that.