For people thinking what lens fungus looks like

spree86

Feb 3, 2009
Bishan
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, i was doing some spring cleaning and dug up one of my father's old film lens which is obviously not stored well. For those who are wondering what lens fungus looks like, here's a really bad case of it:bsmilie:

Let's start from the exterior:

5379955334_56e3ca50f4_z.jpg

There's also fungus on both the front and rear element:

5379347741_429638edaa_z.jpg

5379345165_665e1c68a9_z.jpg

Don't ever let this happen to your lenses:sweat:

Cool... Looks well forested

Thanks for sharing. That looks really bad!

Is that really fungus ?
I just bought a 2nd hand 17-50mm that has something that like ..

Is that really fungus ?

Yes its really fungus. You sure it looks something like that on your lens? This is already a really advanced case, the fungus should have already eaten into the lens coating.

2pointEIGHT said:
Is that really fungus ?

Better get it checked, and keep it away from other lenses

spree86 said:
Hi guys, i was doing some spring cleaning and dug up one of my father's old film lens which is obviously not stored well. For those who are wondering what lens fungus looks like, here's a really bad case of it:bsmilie:

Let's start from the exterior:

There's also fungus on both the front and rear element:

Don't ever let this happen to your lenses:sweat:

Thanks for sharing what we wouldn't like to see on our lens. Gross...

2pointEIGHT said:
Is that really fungus ?

Wa the seller didn't tell u what's that?

can make it into lens cup.. haha! made from real lens barrel, just like DRTV did.. :bsmilie:

bayusuputra said:
can make it into lens cup.. haha! made from real lens barrel, just like DRTV did.. :bsmilie:

Hahaha I love Digitalrev TV. Their awesome! However I don't think that's a real 300mm L lens. It might be, just that it's been broken already.

2pointEIGHT said:
Is that really fungus ?

U didn't inspect the lens? This stage of fungus infection takes years, the previous owner keep then lens beneath the sink or what?

It would have damaged the glass badly.

You should take a picture using that lens (if its still workable) and also post how the picture will look like with fungus lens. :)
Peace.

Haha I dunno what kind of sickness I will get from it if I really made it into a cup:bsmilie:

haha! yeah.. please don't drink from it.. the eBay page for the DRTV 300mm L also states that we should not drink from it, and that one is without fungus!

Hahaha I love Digitalrev TV. Their awesome! However I don't think that's a real 300mm L lens. It might be, just that it's been broken already.

yes, that is real one! check out the eBay page for it.. damn funny.. haha!

TS, try to get some sample pictures form the lens, i don't think pairing up your camera a minute or two with the lens will infect it.. just don't use it very long.. haha! less than a minute should be fine.. haha!

You should take a picture using that lens (if its still workable) and also post how the picture will look like with fungus lens. :)
Peace.

and risk getting the camera infected...well done

Haha I won't ever risk it by mounting the lens on my camera. Even if I want to, I can't, the lens is a Canon FD mount and i'm using a Nikon.