For mac users: Which RAW converter is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
I've personally tried C1pro and Bibblepro

C1pro yields very good result when i do RAW-TIFF. It's able to handle blown out very well with no signs of tint. And i have much control over my picture in the software.

Bibblepro is so-so in my opinion. Blown out is way too terrible. Usually they come out in a magenta tone, or having visible yellowish vertical strips in blown out area.

I can't try Aperture or Lightroom because i'm still on Panther.. Both softwares are tiger-only. :( So wish to hear more from mac users who are using these programs intensively, to give me some comments and recommendations.

CaptureOne Pro. Photoshop CS. Have you tried them?

LucidaM said:
CaptureOne Pro. Photoshop CS. Have you tried them?

C1pro is captureone pro.
i've tried the RAW converter in CS too, but highlights n blown out isn't handled as well as captureone pro. Gave up on CS after trying for 1 time. Hehe..

Castlesinthesky said:
C1 pro on Mac along with aperture for me.

C1 pro tethered is real excellent.

bro what is C1 pro tethered? Care to explain?

I use Graphic Converter 5.8 for opening RAW files and then converting them to TIF. I may give C1 Pro a shot and I am on Panther too.

G-man said:
I use Graphic Converter 5.8 for opening RAW files and then converting them to TIF. I may give C1 Pro a shot and I am on Panther too.

Great! Let me know how you feel of C1 pro in comparison with Graphic Converter :)

behyx said:
Great! Let me know how you feel of C1 pro in comparison with Graphic Converter :)

One is US$30 shareware and the other is 500 euros, no contest which is the better software. :D

G-man said:
One is US$30 shareware and the other is 500 euros, no contest which is the better software. :D

Well the output is all that matters to me. Even if there's only bibble and C1pro available for mac, i will still go for C1pro despite of the much higher cost. I rather get the best to impress my clients with my pictures, than to save some cost and jeopardise my business.

behyx said:
Well the output is all that matters to me. Even if there's only bibble and C1pro available for mac, i will still go for C1pro despite of the much higher cost. I rather get the best to impress my clients with my pictures, than to save some cost and jeopardise my business.

Yea, especially if your ricebowl is photography-centric. In my case, not really so I can STILL live with the US$30 shareware Graphic Converter BUT C1 Pro would be a worthy contender if I do decide to rake in some money with my photographs.

behyx said:
I've personally tried C1pro and Bibblepro
On the mac side, Bibble has come a long way and its quite good at this point. Worth a relook if you had not done so recently.

On the PC side, I would bet on RSP as the people behind pixmantec were the original developers who came out with C1 when they were working for PhaseOne.

Hi,

I had extensively tested the Adobe Light Room(Beta), Apple Aperture, & Phase1-Capture1-Pro.

Had done some comparison base on:-

• GUI-(Graphical User Interface)
• Ease of use
• Control
• Colour Display Accuracy
• Price line (Value)
• Extra: (other)

Using Dual G5 1.8 mhz ; 1.5 Gb DDR SDRAM ; ATI Radeon 9600 Pro ; OSX Tiger 10.4.5

Just a humble Summary from Me:-

Lengend: (5:Excellent, 4:Satifactory, 3:Moderate 2:Marginal 1:poor)

GUI:
Aperture : 5
Adobe Light Room : 5
Capture1 - Pro : 3.5

Ease of Use:
Adobe Light Room : 4.5
Capture1 - Pro : 4.5

Control:
Aperture : 4.5
Capture1 - Pro : 3.5

Colour Display Accuracy (with proper calibration and profile assigning)
Capture1 - Pro : 4

Price line (Value)
Aperture : 2 (Approx S$999)
Adobe Light Room : Unknown
Capture1 - Pro : 2 (Approx S$958)

Extra: (other)
Aperture : 2 Batch Processing, Jpg WB Correction
Adobe Light Room : 4 Batch Processing, layout-Imposition, Quick-Preset, Jpg WB Correction
Capture1 - Pro : 2 Batch Processing, Change of focusing Point(Slight effect Only)

Extra2
Pros & Cons:

Processing Speed
Aperture : 3.5
Adobe Light Room : 4
Capture1 - Pro : 3

System Requirement
Aperture : 2.5
Adobe Light Room : 3
Capture1 - Pro : 3

My Verdict:
Adobe LtRoom Scored highest in the trial although it's only a beta version, and it's still under develop.(probably because it's the later release than other), The Programme is relatively small and yet powerful, great integration with Creative Suite. Following by Apple Aperture, than Capture1-Pro. If the Price is right, I would say it's a worthy Upgrade. (Hopefully it will be bundled with CS2 or cross upgrade)

Thanks erizai, this is some really really useful comments by you. You made me really tempted to get tiger and try out aperture n lightroom, since they scored very well..

I was amazed the first time I used CP1Pro, Untill I find Aperture and Light Room.. Go get tiger go... light Room is free now.. I think there is a seminar for Aperture at 14 Mar. This two software that will definitely can streach your post processing, if you notice, I rank Aperture 4 LtRoom 5 for Control. Aperture 5 LtRoom 4 for Ease of use. (It's usually more control less easy, and vise versa.;) )

Aperture had one very unique feature that offer more control of --level--, as in Photoshop; there's only three pointer for highlight, midtone and shadow; where Aperture have five...between the midtone and highlight, and also in between of shadow and midtone. this is very useful esp you can lock some of the area for finer fine-tuning..

LtRoom Offer Curve that serves the same function. more professional--but it will be hassled to some one who not familiar with it.. and it has even more complex controling.. Some like HSL (Hue, Saturation, Lightness each with CMYKRGB control) but I like it:thumbsup:

Thinking of getting my hands on aperture in future when I get my hands on the Dual Processor Macpro. Only thing is that it does not have curves right? So gotta export to CS2 to make some adjustments. Alternatively, Adobe lightroom has the curve, but I'm totally not familiar with it after trying out its trial version.

no point la bro..since u got the s3 liaos...hyper-utility is the way to go...its slow and all...but i cant find anything tt works better for s3 files...

no point la bro..since u got the s3 liaos...hyper-utility is the way to go...its slow and all...but i cant find anything tt works better for s3 files...

mmm.... I find silkpix 3.0 better for my s3pro files as it can retain the colors/graduations in the highlights much better than hyper utility.

I have ACR, Hyper U and silkypix3.0, and silkypix is the one I used to develop pictures with wide dynamic range. ACR has tons of false color at regions of high contrast.

mmm.... I find silkpix 3.0 better for my s3pro files as it can retain the colors/graduations in the highlights much better than hyper utility.

I have ACR, Hyper U and silkypix3.0, and silkypix is the one I used to develop pictures with wide dynamic range. ACR has tons of false color at regions of high contrast.

Hehe I am still using C1pro leh... So which program is better for S3pro RAW files?

Status
Not open for further replies.