For Critique: B/W Girl & Red Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.

genekwek

Jan 23, 2006
Singapore
detail

Hi, this shot is taken with 350D, 18-55mm kit lens, and 430Ex Flash.
Av: 3.5, Tv: 1/25, ISO 200.

Initally taken in color, and used PS to changed B/W and left rose in original color.

Please comment. Anything pls.

PS. It's My wife. :)

hmmm
the wide angle lens used on ppl potraiture is not very flattering as it blows the head out of proportion... otherwise its a good shot...
you might wanna get a flash bracket to use the flash on top when shooting in portrait to avoid the distracting shadow as well

i agree.. the wide angle lens doesnt flatter at all.. the concepture of the picture itself is not very original as ive seen this idea done a couple of times especially during wedding shoots but nice attempt nonetheless!

genekwek said:
detail

Hi, this shot is taken with 350D, 18-55mm kit lens, and 430Ex Flash.
Av: 3.5, Tv: 1/25, ISO 200.

Initally taken in color, and used PS to changed B/W and left rose in original color.

Please comment. Anything pls.

PS. It's My wife. :)

the wideangle is not the best of course but first it would have been better to adapt well de DOF. Av 3.5 means F-25 mm for example, your DOF is less than 0,40m. That's why your rose is clear and the face a bit blur.
Concerning the B&W treatment, one of the best solution to turn it B&W is to use the chanel mixer, monochrom and adjust the different level.
The idea of course is not new but good to try. good shot for me.
I would prefere a red Rose and the green not so green.
Bring your friend close to a window a shoot with the day light. it's really beautiful and you will have more latitude for playing with your aperture and speed shutter. ISO 200 max for me.
Good luck

1. As others have mentioned, it's a "big head" shot and isn't flattering to your subject. Use a longer focal length, and hence you have to create more distance from your subject. Judging from the angle you are taking this shot, that could be difficult.
  2. The shadow casted on the background is distracting. Why chose to use the wall as a background instead? If this is a planned (i.e. not candid) shot, there should be a more thorough consideration of the background you want to use.
  3. Using my uncalibrated monitor, I see an over-saturated, over-blown rose.
From what I see, this is very much a planned shot but executed candidly. Need more careful planning if so. I'm open to correction, though.

Thank you all so much for your comments. Any more comments, pls?

Honestly, I'm a newbie, and I'm trying lots of shot to master photography. So I do value all your comments on this. Will post up more for y'all to comment. Even new to this forum too! Dunno how to attach image into my posts. Everytime I click "insert image", and query for http:// link to browse. That's why I no choice, upload to photo.yahoo.com and insert this image as link. Anyone can teach me how to insert image directly into posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.