For better communication with our Indian friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
A very educational video...

[youtube]Uj56IPJOqWE[/youtube]

In the 1930's western film studios typified caricatures of what they think Orientals must be like, using Caucasian actors to play the roles of Fu Manchu and Charlie Chan.

India has about 1,900 dialects and many ethnic groups, it may be inaccurate to template a typical Indian body language.

So this video may run the same risk.

In the 1930's western film studios typified caricatures of what they think Orientals must be like, using Caucasian actors to play the roles of Fu Manchu and Charlie Chan. India has about 1,900 dialects and many ethnic groups, it may be inaccurate to template a typical Indian body language. So this video may run the same risk.

As far as I can tell, everyone in the video are Indians. I would assume they know what they are doing.

In the 1930's western film studios typified caricatures of what they think Orientals must be like, using Caucasian actors to play the roles of Fu Manchu and Charlie Chan.

India has about 1,900 dialects and many ethnic groups, it may be inaccurate to template a typical Indian body language.

So this video may run the same risk.

:eek:

As far as I can tell, everyone in the video are Indians. I would assume they know what they are doing.

hit the nail right on the head :bsmilie:

I think the point is missed. Please read again. Can 3 Indians (of unknown sub-group or ethnic lineage/dialect) seek to represent ALL Indians?

I think the point is missed. Please read again. Can 3 Indians (of unknown sub-group or ethnic lineage/dialect) seek to represent ALL Indians?

yes! *shakes head* :bsmilie:

Do they claim to represent all Indians of your mentioned sub groups and whatnot? Secondly: even if India has these mentioned variety of sub groups there are still some similarities and commonly shared characteristics in expression. Even if they are not shared by all, it is unlikely that it will cause insult and uproar if a shaking of head is done outside its 'standard habitat'.
Last but not least: Please bear in mind the humorous connotation of the video. In case you missed this part: it is the broad grinning and smiling in the men's facial region that strongly indicates the humorous nature of their work.

Taking the video as its presented in humor... Its funny.

But India has more than just dialects its totally different languages.. Different scripts, grammar and cultures... The head wobble presented here is mostly for South Indian states... You certainly wont see it if you go up north, west or east.. Just my 2 cents

Taking the video as its presented in humor... Its funny.

Even if it is humorous and light hearted, it's not an easy task. Try to copy it in front of the mirror, and you'll know what i mean. Each gestures are totally different.

Ouch. Sorry. I must have hurt Ricohflex, UncleFai or Kei1309's feeling in this context of my post.

Although this is KPT, this is still a public forum that can b viewed by all.. just wanna remind that comment should b sensitive to our fellow Indian CSer n public.. any inference to a specific race Shld be taken with care. I do not have an issue with ur statement But misunderstood intentions may leads to negativity by others.. just saying..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.