For beginner, which mode? P? or M?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vuser

Jul 7, 2008
Wondering how and what dslr beginner select, trainer told use P..
If using M, am I right to say adjust the A, shutter so as the exposure meets "0" , then the picture will be alright? if that is the case, P should be the short cut way to achieve...
Need advise..

since results can be instantly viewed, use 'M', if exposure not correct den adjust the aperuture or shutter to compensate.

some scenes may need our own judgement. for dark ubjects or bright subjects the meter sometimes will not give the right exposure wan.

if use 'P' den the DSLR's capabilities not well utilized ler...

i suggest u read up on exposure related stuffs, each mode got their pros and cons, learn and try and you can settle down on 1 mode that suits u best.

I use Av mode most of the time, while keeping an eye on the shutter speed to make sure it does not drop below 1/focal length. If it does then I'll have to increase ISO or open up the aperture.

M for fixed lighting situations & when using bounced flash.

I use Av mode most of the time, while keeping an eye on the shutter speed to make sure it does not drop below 1/focal length. If it does then I'll have to increase ISO or open up the aperture.

best summary i come across so far :thumbsup:.

I shoot the same way too. I believe this is the best and most hassle-free way of shooting.

The DSLR is already in my hand, should I be scared of using whatever settings?
Limitless usage of the memory card... a learning phase is best self discovered, and enhanced with read ups :)

Good luck and keep shooting!

Forgot to add, I set my histogram to display on the instant preview. If the photo turns out over/under-exposed then I will apply negative/positive EV compensation as required.

Same principle applies to M mode. Simply bringing the meter to '0' does not guarantee a perfect exposure.

If you have a strongly backlit person for example, you will probably have to use fill-in flash in addition to zeroing the meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.