For antique sword collector ....

Benign

Jan 30, 2004
Melbourne
gallery127599.fotopic.net
Very Happy today, thought sharing with you guys/gals something I have wished for since "puberty" :embrass:

WWII Chinese Dadao

dadao.jpg

If you can identify what the two tone cloth attached to the hilt means... I would be grateful :cheers:

I thought the cloth was used to wipe blood...:confused:

But jokes aside, I thought the cloth was there to distract the opponent.

I thought the cloth was used to wipe blood...:confused:

But jokes aside, I thought the cloth was there to distract the opponent.

Generally, the cloth was used to wipe blood....

But the seller who is a sword collector himself said...it might be the unit color. My own research shown that via an old photo said it was used as executioner's sword/军令状 for those who retreated in battle. The photo was taken by a wartime photographer in Shanghai... the soldier was either one of the 19th or 29th KMT Army Corp.

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nice knife. However, if there is really a history behind it, personally I will not keep. Sometimes this type of antique very eerie one. :devil:

wow !! can see blood stains on the cloth :bigeyes:

Better not to collect old knives or swords of unknown origin as you may encounter unexplained issues as spirits may live within it.

The colour is rich... must be touched-up using Photoshop!

Better not to collect old knives or swords of unknown origin as you may encounter unexplained issues as spirits may live within it.

Ya, my parents was the first to protest on such purchase.
Then again, after I explained the iconic nature of this sword. They agreed :lovegrin:

If you guys are well-versed with WWII Chinese history, you will know although it is an ordinary sword. With an extraordinary tale.

During the winter of 1933, the Chinese Army was falling back, being pushed south out of Manchuria by the Japanese army. In order to buy the main army time to retreat and regroup, the Dadao Dui (Big Knife Unit) was ordered to ordered to protect a 30 mile segment of Great Wall at Xifengkou, a strategic stronghold, and 1 of 3 important passes.
The Dadao Dui, formerly known as the 29th Army Corp, was under the command of Capt. Song Zheyuan. When Japanese Guangdong Army attacked, the out numbered, out gunned 29th dug in to meet them, with Capt. Song writing. "I'd rather be a dead ghost than surrender." After heavy loses on March 9, the 29th decided that a sneak night time attack was their best strategy. At midnight, two groups of soldiers, totaling 500 men, took up their dadao with the orders, "Only forward, no retreat, until you die."
With both sides exhausted from the day's fighting, the Japanese were not expecting an attack and were caught off guard as the 500 attacked from two directions. Caught totally off guard, the Chinese killed many hundreds of Japanese in their sleep, capturing more than 10 machine guns & setting fire to supply vehicles. But this first of Chinese victories in the war did not come without its costs. Of the 500 men of the Dadao Dui who attacked that night, only about 30 survived.
Their sacrifice saved their comrades and clearly demonstrated the Dadao to be a very effective, close quarter weapon when facing katana and as a tool of ambush, even in an age of modern warfare (where most rifles being used were bolt actions). Indeed, the dadao was such an effective weapon that special steel collars were issued to Japanese frontline troops.

The other similar sword display at the ROC (Taiwan) Museum. It was owned by the famous general 抗战名将吉星文
6345682.jpg

Last edited:
Bro,

Thanks for the insight to the sword :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ya, my parents was the first to protest on such purchase.
Then again, after I explained the iconic nature of this sword. They agreed :lovegrin:

If you guys are well-versed with WWII Chinese history, you will know although it is an ordinary sword. With an extraordinary tale.

The other similar sword display at the ROC (Taiwan) Museum. It was owned by the famous general 抗战名将吉星文
6345682.jpg