Footwear for Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
Any recommendation on what kind of footwear for winter and where to get them? Went to WinterTime at Centrepoint but couldn't find any. It would be good if the same footwear can be used back in Sg so as not to waste them. :bsmilie:

timberland shoes? :think:

How cold? There's quite a big difference between 5 deg c and - 25 deg c.

You can do fine with sneakers at 5 deg c, with warm socks. -25, you need to start looking for winter boots. Columbia and Timberland is where I'll look start my search. If you'll be doing activities at places with a lot of snow (usually non urban), you might want to look at snow shoes. Snow shoes are a little hard to get locally. Probably wiser to purchase at your destination.

Get some wool (merino wool are not as itchy) socks. Cotton socks are a big no no.

you might want to try your old army boots with thick wool sock. If its fails, purchase there and dump your army boots;)

Any recommendation on what kind of footwear for winter and where to get them? Went to WinterTime at Centrepoint but couldn't find any. It would be good if the same footwear can be used back in Sg so as not to waste them. :bsmilie:

depends on how cold.

how cold?

dun be like mi... wear SAF NB shoes on snow... it's not onli cold... it's gonna be wet and cold. :sweat:

Well this thread probably belongs in the travel section under the ski and cold weather part...

Anyway:

- first the cold

you need good socks - merino is fine and if you intend to ski, long ski socks are better
Brands like Thor-lo or Holeproof (Oz) are good alternative to merino.

- the wet

The shoes must be waterproof and not weather proof
Timberland - are you kidding??? If you have gone to wet and icy conditions before you would not make that suggestion..

Leather is alright if it is well made - think Scarpa, La Sportiva or Salomon

Depending on what you intend to do - ski, hike or just play around in it, then you needs and COSTS will vary.

If this is some one time dalliance with ice and snow as part of a Chan bros trip, then something like even plastic bags and your regular shoes are tolerable for a short time.

You can also rent them overseas.

Using them locally??? Er.. if they were really meant for cold and icy conditions, your feet will be boiling locally.

If you just get waterproof gear then you can consider using them locally. Those with Goretex GTX etc are breathable and moderately waterproof. They will last for an hour or more if the snow does not seep into the top of the boot.

Getting those with an instep and are certified for crampons mean that you can use them on ice.

I recommend Scarpa GTX 65 which will cost you about $300 or so on the net before shipping. Lightweight and breathable.

Feel that is too costly, like I said, even simple market place Wellingtons are waterproof, don't cost a lot and if you wear the right socks and ski gear, then you will be fine.
If this is a long term investment, don't scrimp or you will be miserable. After all if you can afford a ski or ice trip then invest in a good pair of shoes.

Alternatives are La Sportiva if you wish to try them locally.

Good luck and enjoy the cold.

PS: I suggest you read up on the cold weather threads in the travel section...

Hi,

For socks, you may want to consider those from smartwool. They are really very good in keeping your feets warm.

https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm

As for shoes, I would recommend those that come with GORETEX. Preferrably high-cut. It should keep your feets dry. I have been wearing them during winters (even for ski trips) with no problem. :)

I use slip-on spikes on the shoes to walk on ice/snow, and remove them when not required :)

Have fun.

Just wear sneakers and socks. Don't listen to all this nonsense and waste money.

I used to live in Michigan where it got down to -30 frequently. Never had special winter shoes. Just wear your normal shoes and socks, you'll be fine.

Not quite how cold is the place when I go there in two weeks time but as of now, my tour agency told me it is -14 deg at the ski resort (Kangwon Land High-1 ski resort) I am going to. :sweat:

I used to live in Michigan where it got down to -30 frequently. Never had special winter shoes. Just wear your normal shoes and socks, you'll be fine.

well, to be fair, sometimes living there is different from holidaying i guess.

when you live there you have a car sometimes, you have house, all these are going to be heated.

yes, you can wear sneakers and socks in the cold, of course. but with extended exposure probably not. i did wear that in slightly below 0 in paris when it snowed, it was fine, but i think way below zero might be a slightly different story.. if you keep being outside.

Not quite how cold is the place when I go there in two weeks time but as of now, my tour agency told me it is -14 deg at the ski resort (Kangwon Land High-1 ski resort) I am going to. :sweat:

Bro you should have mentioned this earlier...

The streets of Michigan are quite different from the wet and cold snowfields.
Since it sounds like you have not done this before,

You will probably need:

Ski socks - thin
Warm socks - wool is a good idea

I don't think you will be skiiing as a regular hobby so you can rent the ski boots there. As for walking around, there are usally paths, but you can also rent snow shoes.

The socks become very important. Waterproof shoes are alright, Gortex or leather with waterproof treatment will help and these shoes you can wear back in SG..
Those winter boots are insulated with Thinsulate or other material and will be too hot locally.

I think you better focus on the clothes too. Right gloves, down jacket etc.
Korea has a large and thriving hiking/skiing industry so you can buy much of your ski gear over there or even rent your jacket.

BTW, I have some spare ski pants and jackets which are unused. PM me if you are keen on them...

Since you are not hiking, you can wear the new and unseasoned shoes which you can buy at the resort too.

You may wish to read the threads in the travel section on winter wear and how to ensure you and your gear survives -14C....

See the down jacket I recommended there too...

Just wear sneakers and socks. Don't listen to all this nonsense and waste money.

There are 3 points to be addressed here for winter footwear.

1. Temperature

If you wear an inner layer of synthetic socks which can prevent the buildup of moisture with another outer pair of woolen socks, then yes, you can get away with it temperature wise.

The in-thing now is "thinsulate". Boots specially designed for winter are given a temperature rating e.g. up to -40'C etc and so on.

2. Grip
Special shoes built for slippery surfaces are highly recommended. In countries with Winter temperatures, the sleet over normal roads is extremely slippery and normal shoes just do not work!

The last thing you want is to suffer a nasty fall whilst on holiday, which is what happened to someone from my tour group the last time I was in Switzerland.

An alternative is to buy winter grip slip-ons which cost about $50 in the local travel shops. (BTW, I personally would not go down that route becoz I don't mind paying a bit more for a new specialized pair of boots)

3. Waterproof
Winterwear shoes should also be water-proof.

When snow melts, it turns into slush and can "dampen" your shoes (and spirit hee hee) in no time at all!

Last edited:
Yes, when you are walking in the snow (as opposed to walking on a cleared road/pavement), it is not advisable to use the shoes we normally use in Singapore.

You will need waterproof shoes with proper grip else you will find it extremely slippery. I have fallen before and its not funny. Once water soaks in, man, its bloody uncomfortable.

As stated in the many replies above, there are many brands for you to choose from. Get the Goretex ones - they are waterproof and get those with proper traction. Solomon, Columbia, The North Face, Merrell are just some of the brands available in Singapore. They range from S$100 plus to above S$200 plus per pair.

i was there last year, when you are skiing you will rent skiing boots and keep your shoes in a locker, you need warm socks

if you want to walk around in the snow, you will need some kind of boots with thick soles to keep warm. the snow is wet, so look for boots that will not absorb water.
other than that you will be fine

enjoy yourself and take lots of photos

thread moved

How about those army gortex boots? Good enough?

Thanks for all the inputs. They are all very useful! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes, when you are walking in the snow (as opposed to walking on a cleared road/pavement), it is not advisable to use the shoes we normally use in Singapore.

You will need waterproof shoes with proper grip else you will find it extremely slippery. I have fallen before and its not funny. Once water soaks in, man, its bloody uncomfortable.

As stated in the many replies above, there are many brands for you to choose from. Get the Goretex ones - they are waterproof and get those with proper traction. Solomon, Columbia, The North Face, Merrell are just some of the brands available in Singapore. They range from S$100 plus to above S$200 plus per pair.

Any recommendation on where to get them? I did a search on google and the results are pointing me to e-mart. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.