Food@Swensen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilubit

May 7, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
3639624109_f161032363.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
is the feeling fully expressed?
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Make Viewer hungry after seeing the picture.
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Emotion : wanting to had a hearty meal after taking the pics.(Very hungry)
Physcial Condition : low lighting @ Swensen@CWP
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
quite nice?but got light reflection from the lighting?

how old are you? well, thats beside the main critique... just curious...

1, what feeling? this pic lack punch.
2, i see already dun feel like going swenson's any more...
3, next time, just eat, don't take pics, cos food photography's food are not meant to be eaten. very seldom you can take nice pics of food that are just prepared.
4, no its not, its little pointy lights from the bulbs above.

overall, your pics are extremely under exposed, badly composed, appetite reducing.

try shooting other things and get the exposure right before venturing into other genre.

it's badly under expose... i dun think can save the photo after editing...

think underexposed and also the main thing should be the food and not the sauce.

my humble opinion.

Besides underexposed, the WB is wrong too.
Frankly, it has no subject interest and the food itself is messy.

Then again, i suggest TS start a thread and just post his pics there. Most people are more forgiving and TS might just get a few praises. =)

Regards

3639624109_f161032363.jpg

HI ilubit,

This is the comment I posted on another member's thread... Most of the stuffs I commented is the same so thus I will paste the same comments. For critique, I would rate a bad due to the inappropriate composition. A successful / good food photo consist of careful composition, appropriate DOF, good lighting as well as food styling with is upmost important.

Composition, can be done before, during or after the shoot. Compositon involve the positioning of props and main dishes, and the position of the main dish, to make the main dish its attention.

Simple food styling, can be done if you are careful with the positioning of the food and condiments as well as props. To do a food styling, is to make the foods as tasty as possible. Using Photoshop, you can patch up food surfaces and defects, so as the food looks flawless.

DOF is to isolate background from your subject, thus with a point of focus, it can attract viewers to the main features of the dishes.

With good lighting, you can bring out the rich colours of food and the texture, thus making it as tasty as possible.

However, I dont see such elements on the Swenson food. Food is always good to photograph it at 60 degrees or 45 degrees according to your design vision. The 2nd picture, although there is enough lights, the textures are there, the main dish still looks not tasty. What you can do is to shoot close up to create an impact to appeal to viewer's taste bud. It takes careful composition and not just simply point & shoot. Since you are shooting in a low light condition, use a tripod or pump up ISO. Dark and flat pictures often wont appeal much to the viewers. There is a stray carrot on the side of the salad container. There is another dirt or dark stain on the cheese. Oil;y stains are everywhere... Overall, there is no mood and texture.

With time and practice you can achieve more. Try to look at more food books and research on photographer like Micheal Ray & Lou Manna. Or there is a food photography thread in our every CS forum, you can try follow their example first.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
To illustrate what some of the others have said about exposure and WB, and also to challenge whether it can be saved through pp, I have come up with this from your original pic posted here to illustrate how the pic should like on your camera when you take it with better exposure and correct WB (I hope):

2ludvgz.jpg

TS: Please let me know if you want it removed.

EDIT: And because I'm bored, I worked on it for another 5 minutes to address the issue of "punch" and came up with this.

30kdog5.jpg

Post-processing however still can not bring out the supposed appeal that captured you when you saw your food. You'll have to work on your composition and other controls for that.

Last edited:
The photo is under expose and its like in a mess in the photo.
No offense.

Try again....

you'd need to understand the lighting better and how you should angle it to make the food more appealing...

To illustrate what some of the others have said about exposure and WB, and also to challenge whether it can be saved through pp, I have come up with this from your original pic posted here to illustrate how the pic should like on your camera when you take it with better exposure and correct WB (I hope):

2ludvgz.jpg

TS: Please let me know if you want it removed.

EDIT: And because I'm bored, I worked on it for another 5 minutes to address the issue of "punch" and came up with this.

30kdog5.jpg

Post-processing however still can not bring out the supposed appeal that captured you when you saw your food. You'll have to work on your composition and other controls for that.

Hi Vincent,

You will need to crop in a bit more, the main focus is the burger so the sauce or salad container, crop it away. The oily stains and dirts are still visible.

I would re-shoot it if there is a chance of re-shooting it.

Regards

Hi,

I am sure everyone has to start somewhere. Learn from constructive feedbacks and move on. Don't be discourage by nonconstructive comments.

I am sure "http://ieatishootipost.sg/" took nice picture on the spot he got the food (that mean not in studio set up), they are really nice. Look to him as your learning subject. :)

did i quick pp for you

swensens.jpg

see your food as a composition that you want to create
good light is very important (good ps skill too)
clean up unsightly stuff

Food photos always make me hungry. How about an overall reconstruct? Will this be better for you?

faswensensa.jpg

Food photos always make me hungry. How about an overall reconstruct? Will this be better for you?

faswensensa.jpg

Although, this makes the food more focus, but the colours are all OUT due to incorrect white balance. You see, the meal is becoming purple and the cheese's yellow are fading. Not to mention, the burger bread is becoming inedible, as well as the egg is becoming more like salted egg. This is all due to underexposed picture, wrong WB as well as too much hue.

It is not wise to adjust the hue and saturation anymore, thus I think TS should do a re-shoot. And also, TS please set your camera to RAW mode, thus White Balance setting can be done during post processing.

Remember, a good food photograph is to attract ppl to view to simulate their taste bud, NOT strange colours to scare them off.

Remember, a good food photograph is to attract ppl to view to simulate their taste bud, NOT strange colours to scare them off.

and that is the key failing in the first post.

i would reshoot the whole thing, because even with the crops, it does not look appetising with everything spilling everywhere.

There is some funny mark in the coleslaw container that is quite distracting, and the burger looks as if someone was going to eat it, but changed his mind and got out a camera for a quick snap. The beef doesn't look "juicy" enough, can try to play with it in PP software.

OT-> Megaburger right? Once had that and a 20 dollar Earthquake. 1 person bao ge liao.:bsmilie:

I think it is just underexpose. composition wise i think the small cup there shld be remove and focus on just the food. I guess reshooting it will get u better results. just some of my thoughts.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.