Food Styling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijnek

Feb 4, 2008
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
any1 knows if there's any books or even course regarding food styling?...

thx.
i'll go ask kino...

is "Page One" a shop?...ok, i jus google and it's a book store at vivo rite :)

Last edited:
Wish theres some talk, I'm sure it'll be such an eye opener.
So amazing the 'tools' they use, blow torch, nail polish, whatever..

Food stylist out there, share share leh...open a seminar haha

i dunno abt the talk...

but i got the book tat flipfreak recommended.

there were 2 different books, the other was digital food photography...
i flipped through both and prefer the 1 tat flipfreak recommended...

tat's a start for me i guess

Wish theres some talk, I'm sure it'll be such an eye opener.
So amazing the 'tools' they use, blow torch, nail polish, whatever..

Food stylist out there, share share leh...open a seminar haha

i think it will be hard for food stylists to reveal their trade secrets unless people willing to pay a good price for learning.

ya...

btw...on the book...there's a quote tat i come across and basically mean this "food which r styled...don't eat them..."...lol

thx.
i'll go ask kino...

is "Page One" a shop?...ok, i jus google and it's a book store at vivo rite :)

You can also try Riceball Photo bookshop (groundflr Funan) and Computer Books store (4tfh Floor - slightly cheaper).. Don't forget Kino and Borders

yup...i got mine from kino.

ya...hero food....for a minute, i was wondering wat they mean by tat...
then i get it that that piece of food is the lead actor/actress...

i think it will be hard for food stylists to reveal their trade secrets unless people willing to pay a good price for learning.

It depends on what level of styling we're talking about.

A lot of knowledge is openly available these days, but practical approaches and applications is something that can only be more fully shared and learned in hands-on type workshops. Believe me, if anything else, food prep and styling is insanely hands-on. It also not just the 'doing', but requires a lot of fore-knowledge and foresight for logistics preparation and planning. If you see some of the pre-production lists I prepare for clients, most people who never experienced it before can faint. Sit-down pre-prod meetings usually lasts a few hours.

In other countries, a course in Food Styling usually starts with a 2-3 year college diploma (degree) course in Food Technology as a foundation, and then goes on to styling itself. Of course, there are intensive 1, 2 or 3 day type workshops conducted by Food Stylists that ranges from US$1,000 - US$3,000 in fees but these also usually require some sort of foundation in food.

What would be great here would be a 1 - 2 day introductory course on food preparation knowledge and presentation for photographers, as opposed to a focused course for stylists, and that would probably cost much less - in the region of S$500 - $1K?

Last edited:
Yes there is..
I have saw one book on food styling in Choa Chu Kang Lot 1 Library.
If it's not within your reach, you can always send a request to the National Library (NLB) to transfer the book to your nearby NLB.

Heng I didn't got to pay when i was learning from a veteran food stylists

He is from the older generation who still use film, so it is sort of barter trade cos he will style and direct, and I will shoot in digital and process the pic

Status
Not open for further replies.