fish
2NOdk7Fl.jpg

zgiIEPXl.jpg

claypot rice

e2mJkIUl.jpg

vegetables in soup

0kKwegzl.jpg

Last edited:
For me, taking a food shot is not "shoot as it is". There are certain rituals to do before clicking the shutter.

Taking the Watercress Soup as an example when the veggies are dangling on the bowl. Probably i will push them into the bowl or something and also to dig out some pork rib and place them on the top of the veggie to present what is underneath those vegetable.

Although the fish's gravy spillover on the plate has nothing to do with you, i will probably try to avoid capturing them in my photo as it's quite unsightly.

Not that cropping is a bad thing, it's just that you cropped a different resolution for all four photos and i think it didnt help to enhance the photo much.

Most shots are also underexposed with unwanted shadow cast on the food, and i think the shooting angle for the fish and claypot rice can be better by tilting it down a little.

There's also apparently a crop edge on the bottom left of the claypot rice.

:)

Thanks for the input. I wasn't eating alone and yes the gravy spillover on the fish plate wasn't done by me and eating mates cos i took the pics first before eating. That one didn't have a choice. The shadow is of my arm in the second picture. I noticed that shadow but decided to post it anyway. I was sitting at the corner while the food was in the middle. I just cropped the pictures just to focus on what i wanted to show. If i kept all the same resolution the watercrest soup picture would have shown the other food in it but in future i will make sure all are the same res. The claypot rice has the unfortunate side cropped off. This was because i rotated the picture first and needed to crop it off but didn't notice that part until i posted it.

Most shots are also underexposed with unwanted shadow cast on the food, and i think the shooting angle for the fish and claypot rice can be better by tilting it down a little.

:)

Is there a reason why holding the camera and taking an overhead shot of the food isn't considered that good? Is it because it's less artistic?

I looked in other threads and noticed the food is taken from a side angle so you can see other objects in the background but blurred out like take this thread here. Most of the pictures aren't taken overhead perhaps because of the shadow effect?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391774

le_bistrot_du_sommelier_poached_pear_choc_tart1.jpg

Is there a reason why holding the camera and taking an overhead shot of the food isn't considered that good? Is it because it's less artistic?

I looked in other threads and noticed the food is taken from a side angle so you can see other objects in the background but blurred out like take this thread here. Most of the pictures aren't taken overhead perhaps because of the shadow effect?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391774

le_bistrot_du_sommelier_poached_pear_choc_tart1.jpg

It's not that top down shot is not good. I just feel that it's more appropriate for this dish. And yes, in this case, it cast a shadow onto the food.

A top down shot is generally for flat dish, or a platter showing many kinds of food items.

A frontal shot is generally for food that is very 3D, like the sample pic that you provided.

I just think that a top down shot wont help to present the fish dish as well as a near-frontal shot. Using a top down shot in this case, the only thing that gives a clue that it's a fish dish is the two fins at the side of the plate.

I am imagining a tilt 30-45 degree frontal shot at the intersection of the fish, showing part fish bone and texture of the fish meat, and frame in some black sauce, chilli and the spring onion may present the fish better.

At the same time, depending on your chosen aperture, the messy spill-over at the side of the plate may became part of the bokeh and will no longer be a distraction to the eye.

Just my two cents :)

Last edited:
OoStarDustoO thanks for the input. I must say sometimes one tends to take really quick food shots or tends to concentrate less on the shots because of hunger. Usually people are tempted to start eating the minute the food comes especially if one is in a group and some will want to eat it immediately. The food took about one hour to arrive.

OoStarDustoO thanks for the input. I must say sometimes one tends to take really quick food shots or tends to concentrate less on the shots because of hunger. Usually people are tempted to start eating the minute the food comes especially if one is in a group and some will want to eat it immediately. The food took about one hour to arrive.

:bsmilie::bsmilie: Confirm!

Took a number of shots at this joint will post 5 pictures first

eGWqqczh.jpg

NqKBwSkh.jpg

eqG0FDbh.jpg

bTFJZzHh.jpg

1qWgvgch.jpg

Ok done it the 3rd pic is brighter than the rest is that the correct exposure?

I think it will be good to get the exposure correct at the point of shooting. U can use the histogram function in the camera to help you nail the exposure.

Here's a chicken meal.

It's brighter now exposure been increased

SXYcYlVh.jpg

GaQFmpch.jpg

E1j1YYMh.jpg

jX5GDQNh.jpg

IrMA7Sah.jpg