food photography- stream needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wugui81pg

Jun 8, 2005
Hi experts out there...
need advise from you...how do i create stream coming out from food and make it look very very hot..

dry ice

ya sorry it's steam...
anyway, i am not referring to the actual shoot. BUT digitally how do we create such effect?

ya sorry it's steam...
anyway, i am not referring to the actual shoot. BUT digitally how do we create such effect?

wa, siao

maybe you can just take picture of smoke over white background
and then use layers to blend it in? :dunno:

hmm....

Yah, I think white on Black background, then can erase away the black with magic eraser and layer blend it into the food pic....:)

wa, siao

maybe you can just take picture of smoke over white background
and then use layers to blend it in? :dunno:

wa smoke over white background?...
white on white i tink abit hard issit not?:think:

redsun said:
wa smoke over white background?...
white on white i tink abit hard issit not?

Yah, I think white on Black background, then can erase away the black with magic eraser and layer blend it into the food pic....:)

To shoot steam for the purpose of DI, it's best to shoot it with the same colour of the background of the food. Steam is a little transparent especially around the edges more so for the softer/lighter/thinner ones. So if you shoot it against a black b/g, the black will come through and the DI around the edge will need more time. If the background is not a fix colour or more than 1 dish, than the next best choice will be shooting on white b/g, yes shooting white on white is hard but with proper light control set up it's possible. Maybe can keep the b/g 100% white and the steam 80% white.

If you want to create steam using DI, I'm not too sure but maybe you may want to use the brush tool and than blur it with another layer. From what I know, to create steam with DI for the purpose of Food shot is rather diff. As what ortega said, shooting steam will be easier.

Ok, sounds logical....thanks for the explaination.:)

To shoot steam for the purpose of DI, it's best to shoot it with the same colour of the background of the food. Steam is a little transparent especially around the edges more so for the softer/lighter/thinner ones. So if you shoot it against a black b/g, the black will come through and the DI around the edge will need more time. If the background is not a fix colour or more than 1 dish, than the next best choice will be shooting on white b/g, yes shooting white on white is hard but with proper light control set up it's possible. Maybe can keep the b/g 100% white and the steam 80% white.

If you want to create steam using DI, I'm not too sure but maybe you may want to use the brush tool and than blur it with another layer. From what I know, to create steam with DI for the purpose of Food shot is rather diff. As what ortega said, shooting steam will be easier.

Have you thot of using cigarette smoke?

You may want to try the liquify filter in Ps. Before you go in, perhaps use a soft brush with a lower opacity, paint a few white strokes upwards on a separate layer (original intact).
Once go into the liquify filter, adjust the setting on the right side like selecting the brush size, density, pressure, etc. Use the Turbulence tool to paint in a wavy manner and upwards direction on the white strokes. Of course when you are satisfied with the strokes, get into photoshop and you can further enhance it by blurring it a little or may be try some blend modes on the layer. Give it a try.

chvictor (an ACE)

Status
Not open for further replies.