food photography less than $1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Industrious1

Apr 21, 2009
Hey all, well Ive been doing abit of research of late, and im interested in doing food photography, the problem is my budget is about $1000 i know in the future i can buy some more lenses but what im asking is what camera and lens should i get to accurately take food photography for less than $1000SGD...(im in Singapore if anyone else is that makes more sense considering prices etc)...maybe i'll look for a second hand camera...

frankly, its not WHAT you shoot food with .... its HOW you shoot it :think:

I can give u the best equipments ...but are you equipped with the necessary skills yet ?

If not, I would recommend you take up some courses first :)

If you are simply starting out, then I can assure you that you're do fine with a standard setup (dSLR + kit lens). Go find friends who do food photography or take up courses. Then you'd know what else you need, or, indeed, if you are still interested in food photography after that.

Low end 2nd hand DSLR - anything that allows you to meter and focus manually - $300 - $400

2nd hand 90mm macro Tamron lens - $500 or slightly less / Sigma's version would cost less, ard $400

1st hand love and understanding of food, light ... and knowledge and skills in taking food, one of the toughest disciplines in photography - priceless.

Low end 2nd hand DSLR - anything that allows you to meter and focus manually - $300 - $400

2nd hand 90mm macro Tamron lens - $500 or slightly less / Sigma's version would cost less, ard $400

1st hand love and understanding of food, light ... and knowledge and skills in taking food, one of the toughest disciplines in photography - priceless.

IMO, 90mm, supposing on a 1.6FOV is too narrow.

Are you doing studio shot?

Thx guys truth is im a digital artist, and i know alot about photoshop, (and worked as a photoretoucher for a bout a year) I have a knowledge of lighting,(not that ive done any with photography though...)(however i do know that lighting is paramount in food photography) composistion and general art skills. now I did do a short camera course in photography (less than a week) but it gave me an understanding of how to use my d200 at the time, Im hoping that with these skills it will give me a backbone or perhaps some knowledge into food photography...i guess time will tell!!!

Not really.

Almost all serious/commercial food photography is done on lenses (native 35mm) from 100 - 150 or 160mm or thereabouts. Using longer lenses preserves better looking perspectives and helps avoid distortion, unless distortion is intended, or environmental food photos are required, as in you need to include some element of the surrounding decor/restaurant etc in the shot.

There's another almost totally crucial reason why longer lenses are used, besides the above. Can anyone guess? ;)

Admittedly, using shorter lenses on a crop body (50mm on 1 1.5 or 1.6) facilitates more convenient food snapshooting, which is what I suspect most do (not being snobish, just factual, and I happen to LOVE snapshots! :lovegrin:), and experimentimg with wide angles can yield interesting results, but TS appears to be on a very tight budget, hence the recommendation of the most used focal length range for food.

also does anyone know a good store to get 2nd hand DSLR's from or should i get one over the web; which case any good online shops for that?

also does anyone know a good store to get 2nd hand DSLR's from or should i get one over the web; which case any good online shops for that?

Your D200 is more than capable of shooting stunning food photographs. ;)

What you need is to start picking up lots of food and gourmet magazines and studying the food styling and layout, then try to determine the lighting used.

How interested are you (as in how hard are you willing to work) in learning the basics of food photography?

To maintain a "safe" distance away from the food? (which maybe hot and "fuming")

Not really.

There's another almost totally crucial reason why longer lenses are used, besides the above. Can anyone guess? ;)

Admittedly, using shorter lenses on a crop body (50mm on 1 1.5 or 1.6) facilitates more convenient food snapshooting, which is what I suspect most do (not being snobish, just factual, and I happen to LOVE snapshots! :lovegrin:), and experimentimg with wide angles can yield interesting results, but TS appears to be on a very tight budget, hence the recommendation of the most used focal length range for food.

Ahh... So you do have some experience in the field. Ok.

Well, from what I gathered/inferred, it seems to me that you have:

1. Nikon D200
2. Easy access to lighting equipment

So all that you need know is probably lenses and some guidance.

Since you already have a dSLR, do you mind listing what lenses you own? For all that you know, you can start experimenting very effectively with the equipment that you have.

Ok sry i should have been more clear, I currently don't own a camera, I had a d200 but alas no more :(, so basically im looking for a 2nd hand cam and lens for under a $1000, Im going to check out Peninsula Plaza, (ps are they going to rip me off, like the lads in sim lim?)

My experience is limited, and zilch(so nothing!) in food photography, but i have a feeling i could get the grasp of it, with some good hard work.:D

can i get lighting equipment there too (Peninsula plaza?)

ps, any other places you guys know of to check out?(2nd hand camera shops)

oooh ! never thought of that! i could just rent them see what i think...thats a great idea, where can u rent them from hehe!!!? seriously?

Well obviously if im hiring the equipment used it can be extremly good, what do u guys reccomend, Im also talking in terms of usablity (is it easy to use!) Im probably leaning towards the nikkon d90 just cause i think its a nice camera, should i still go for the tamron lens? or perhaps someone can reccomend a specific macro lens? thx for everyones input so far!!!

How about a PnS from Canon and fuji.

Simple and easy to use, just to have a few more spot lights/floruscent lights to have a good lighting. :)

I've taken some of my product shoots with my trusted F31FD and + post processing, you can't tell from the screen or A4 print that is taken from DSLR or PnS... :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.