food photography/ food stying business

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlam

May 31, 2007
anyone has any experience or advices on how to kick start food photography businesses?

anyone know of any good food stylist in singapore market?

I'm glad you brought this up. I would like to know too.
I am also interested in food photography. ;p

I know of a fren who does food photography. He uses a 22 MP digital back. Most of his clients are overseas.

Hi, a fren of mine is into food photography. U can check his shots out @ http://shimworld.wordpress.com (click on the Travel and Living icon on sidebar) to see for urself. If you wanna meet with him, pls rem to ask him about his empire chocolates shots.

Ive had a brief encounter with food photography only, so would like to hear more too

i want to learn too...:)

Sounds interesting count me in too if theres a chance to learn;)

Hello Johnlam,

I can share some points about food photography and the business:

1. How do I get started in food photography?
It's relatively simple, start shooting food that you like. Not only will it be more fun, your love for the subject will show in the images. Also start reading magazines like Martha Stewart's 'Living'. Find out what type of lighting you like. Most of the photography will be done using lightbanks (or lightboxes) with hot or studio lights. Do your best to experiment on your own time and your own money. Try, try and try again to match lighting as depicted in the magazines. That is one of the ways to learn and it will take you 2 weeks to 2 months depending on how determined you are. If you happen to like photography done outdoors as shown in the overseas magazines, please be aware that quality of light in Singapore and overseas is very different.

OR you can try interning in studios doing food photography for a majority its income. It will be tough but you will learn more stuff faster.

Note: There are 2 *critical* components in food photography, lighting and styling. Styling is an art in its own category, and most (not all) food photographers will hire a stylist to make the food look pretty. Great stylists are very hard to come by, in fact there are only a few great stylists in Singapore. It is very expensive to hire one and you'll have to book way in advance.

2. How do I get started in the food photography business?

a. After you have perfected your shots, one approach is getting in touch with good food magazines and do the shoots for them for at least 6 months to a year. The pay will be very low and it will be very tough. But you will get good publicity and people will remember your name when you start soliciting clients. You might even get calls from potential clients interested your work. Anything < 6 months is not good enough for people to remember "yourname=food photography". But if you are confident enough, go for option (b) straightaway.

If the magazine doesn't call you back the 1st or 2nd shoot, it's either likely your performance/price ratio does not match their expectations OR they didn't like your attitude. Find out quickly what is the problem otherwise go back and do food photography as a hobby. A word of advice, ask friends/people who are in the design/ad business. If they are truthful, the advice/critique will help loads.

b. If you have enough great work to show, prepare tearsheets and portfolio (make sure your prints are 100&#37; color calibrated) and start approaching establishments that have frequent food promos and show them your stuff. Negotiate the shoot requirements & price and you'll be on your way.

Best regards
Wesley

Color Management from a Food Blogger's Perspective

Wondering what has color management got to do with a food blog? Plenty, if you enjoy and take pride in snapping mouth-watering pictures of your sumptuous platter to share with the rest of the world, like renowned local food blogger, Chubby Hubby.

A glimpse at his food blog and you will be blown away not only by his engaging food reviews and refreshing take on, in his own words, &#8220;dining, whining & marriage&#8221;, but also by the rich, colorful and simply delectable photos that accompany each entry.

Read what Chubby Hubby has to say about color management and the ColorVision Spyder2 system and gain insight from a refreshing perspective by clicking here
http://www.chubbyhubby.net/blog/photography

abstract from I-touch @ CP

Hi Guys,
Good to know so many are interested in food photography.
I'll doing some food photography for a fine dining Italian restaurant this coming Monday 16th July.
Will be good for those willing to learn and of course, I'll don't expect free service from u.
My experience, well, it has been a 24 long years for me.
Please PM me about yourself and contact.

Cheers

Thanks for viewing.
Arrangement made.

Cheers

Thank you guys&gal for the PMs and kind words.
I'll keep definitely keep you in the loop and contact you in any further food shoot.

Cheers

Food styling and food photography are different sets of skills..

Although many food styler may become food photographer or vice versa.
Knowing how to take food photos does not mean u r are food stylist.

Hello Johnlam,

It's relatively simple, start shooting food that you like. Not only will it be more fun, your love for the subject will show in the images. Also start reading magazines like Martha Stewart's 'Living'. Find out what type of lighting you like. Most of the photography will be done using lightbanks (or lightboxes) with hot or studio lights. Do your best to experiment on your own time and your own money. Try, try and try again to match lighting as depicted in the magazines. That is one of the ways to learn and it will take you 2 weeks to 2 months depending on how determined you are. If you happen to like photography done outdoors as shown in the overseas magazines, please be aware that quality of light in Singapore and overseas is very different.

OR you can try interning in studios doing food photography for a majority its income. It will be tough but you will learn more stuff faster.

Note: There are 2 *critical* components in food photography, lighting and styling. Styling is an art in its own category, and most (not all) food photographers will hire a stylist to make the food look pretty. Great stylists are very hard to come by, in fact there are only a few great stylists in Singapore. It is very expensive to hire one and you'll have to book way in advance.

a. After you have perfected your shots, one approach is getting in touch with good food magazines and do the shoots for them for at least 6 months to a year. The pay will be very low and it will be very tough. But you will get good publicity and people will remember your name when you start soliciting clients. You might even get calls from potential clients interested your work. Anything < 6 months is not good enough for people to remember "yourname=food photography". But if you are confident enough, go for option (b) straightaway.

If the magazine doesn't call you back the 1st or 2nd shoot, it's either likely your performance/price ratio does not match their expectations OR they didn't like your attitude. Find out quickly what is the problem otherwise go back and do food photography as a hobby. A word of advice, ask friends/people who are in the design/ad business. If they are truthful, the advice/critique will help loads.

b. If you have enough great work to show, prepare tearsheets and portfolio (make sure your prints are 100% color calibrated) and start approaching establishments that have frequent food promos and show them your stuff. Negotiate the shoot requirements & price and you'll be on your way.

Best regards
Wesley

Thanks for these tips Wesley.
I am taking down notes:)

Hi all. Glad to have this thread.i am into Food Photography too. Still learning though and beginning to love it...
here's one of my sample photos I shot recently.

Food#!

Hello Johnlam,

b. If you have enough great work to show, prepare tearsheets and portfolio (make sure your prints are 100% color calibrated) and start approaching establishments that have frequent food promos and show them your stuff. Negotiate the shoot requirements & price and you'll be on your way.

Best regards
Wesley

I just got to know aboout thsi Thread, Sigh :cry:
I luv food. Always take food shots to keep. Food Lover too.
Thanks for all the tips.. Looking forward opportunity of Food photography.

I'm looking for a Food Stylist for a shot I want to do...been searching around but haven't found one
ANY FOOD STYLISTS OUT THERE IN CS???

Status
Not open for further replies.