Font and back focusing issue

desertstrike

Sep 29, 2008
CCK
1. Calibrate camera or lens?

2. Off by how much then is consider an issue?

3. Using Focus chart at 45degree vs 30degree, result is different, must die die use 45degree?

4. Longer focal length tendency to back focus a bit?

5. Calibrate by nikon need to pay how much? can take back within a day?

thanks!

desertstrike said:
1. Calibrate camera or lens?

2. Off by how much then is consider an issue?

3. Using Focus chart at 45degree vs 30degree, result is different, must die die use 45degree?

4. Longer focal length tendency to back focus a bit?

5. Calibrate by nikon need to pay how much? can take back within a day?

thanks!

1. Calibrate using AF fine-tune in your camera if only certain lenses give you problem. If AF fine tune is maxed out and still cannot fix the problem, then calibrate the lens. Same if your camera do not come with AF finetune capability. If all your lenses are off in the same direction, calibrate the mirror of your camera.

2. That is up to your personal tolerances.

3. 45 or 30 deg should still focus on the line ok. 45 deg will give you a more accurate reading of how much it is off by. And use a tripod when doing your tests and take note of the MFD of the lens.

4. Focal length of lens has no relation to tendency for front or back focusing.

5. You have to check with Nikon on costs and time required. Usually not within a day.

Last edited:
You may want to do a very simple test.

1. Arrange 3 subjects at an angle to your camera

2. Set aperture to the F1.8 or F2.8

3. Focus on the middle subject

4. The subject nearest and farthest from your camera should be blur

See picture below

Test.jpg

DSC03146.jpg

1. Calibrate using AF fine-tune in your camera if only certain lenses give you problem. If AF fine tune is maxed out and still cannot fix the problem, then calibrate the lens. Same if your camera do not come with AF finetune capability. If all your lenses are off in the same direction, calibrate the mirror of your camera.

2. That is up to your personal tolerances.

3. 45 or 30 deg should still focus on the line ok. 45 deg will give you a more accurate reading of how much it is off by. And use a tripod when doing your tests and take note of the MFD of the lens.

4. Focal length of lens has no relation to tendency for front or back focusing.

5. You have to check with Nikon on costs and time required. Usually not within a day.

1. My camera dun have fine tuning, looks like got to calibrate on lens liao...

3. Cos by using 45 degree, my lens are more accurate, if i drop to 30 degree or 20 degree, the focusing is off a bit more...

4. icic (cos my 35mm is more to front focusing by 2mm, and 300mm is more to back focusing by 2mm also)...

5. okie, thanks!

You may want to do a very simple test.

1. Arrange 3 subjects at an angle to your camera

2. Set aperture to the F1.8 or F2.8

3. Focus on the middle subject

4. The subject nearest and farthest from your camera should be blur

See picture below

Test.jpg

DSC03146.jpg

Hi, thanks for the suggestion! :)

hmm.. i think mine is off by a bit only, so using this test, it still shows that it focus on the spot correctly...