Follow-up to "Why don't I join the photoshoots?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Why wait until Sunday when I can do it this evening? :D

First of all, I appreciate the 75 members who took time to participate in the poll ; the results do have and will have certain bearing on how we are going conduct activities here @ Clubsnap.

My follow-up is a lengthy one so I've taken the liberty to break them down into posts so that you can zero in and even respond to them easily.

This is the effort of only one man thus it is not exhaustive. If you have any inputs to contribute, please do so freely! ;)

Option: Wah liew...the timing's very bad leh...

My heart goes out to the 13.7% who were really keen to join us but given the inconvenient timing(s) that you couldn't.

To me, there are three alternatives. One is that you may want to shoot solo or as some of us always love to say..."There's always a next time!" Last but not the least, you can organise one and if more than one shows up, great if not just carry on, own time own target! :D

Thus, watch the space for future activities! :gbounce:

Option: No thank you; I prefer to shoot alone...

10 members, i.e. 6.85% indicated that they prefer to shoot alone. There are advantages in going solo, sometimes I do that too.

To me, group shooting is fun too, in another way. The company, the interaction and such are very appealing to me. It's always a pleasure to know and spend time with fellow enthusiasts; you get to impart as well as learn at the same time! :gbounce:

Option: The venues are too routine...JBP, Zoo, Sentosa...

To the 10.27% who voted, well that seems to be about all in Singapore right?

Yes but let's venture deeper! The 'exhibits' @ these venues may not change much but surely we can improve our work (unless one feels that he/she has perfected it) not just by taking straight forward shots but rather shoot the 'exhibits' at different times (the light conditions will be different), various moods and even 'compromising' postures.

Seems like we too need organisers (yes, that's you) to organise visits to elsewhere, be it local (we may not know S'pore inside out) or abroad. We also have to understand that it's difficult to conduct shoots with themes like street photography...just imagine, a group of 10 or more shooters, lurking with their equipment preying on 'unsuspecting' individuals? There goes all the candid shots! :gbounce:

Option: I don't feel comfortable with them...the core group appears very cliquish!

To the 10, i.e. 9.59% who felt that way, please accept our apologies. Apparently, we still need to work on our social skills.

When we started this club more than a year ago, we have a core group of people and thus we tend to be closer to one another. It seems that when we organise activities like SEED and Photoshoots, we should make the newcomers feel more @ home! It's very unbecoming to allow certain newcomers to feel left out as strictly speaking; they are our guests! We'd love to see you again in our future activities.

Also, may I suggest that in future group activities we should abide by using the official language, i.e. English when we interact as I observed that on certain occasions, i.e. SEEDs conducted earlier (some time ago), some of us (myself included) spoke to one another in Chinese, thus leaving our friends who do not speak the language out of the discussions.

Please accept our sincere apologies and insensitivities. May I reiterate that Clubsnap is open to all, regardless of race, language and religion! :gbounce:

Option: Not that I dunwan to join but I'm alone leh...shy shy...!

Seems like the majority, i.e. 29 members or 19.86% felt this way. To address this, let me begin by sharing a story with you! :D

Don't worry, it's a short one and it got picture some more!

aaa.jpg

On 10 August 2001, 4 complete strangers Adam Goi, Bluestrike, Condor and Ichungwe propelled by their interest in photography met on this Friday @ Coffee Bean, Funan Centre...and that mark one the earliest efforts in creating what we have today ;)

Imagine this, 4 guys who hardly knew each other met under the circumstances of uncertainties. Fyi, I'm very shy, very very shy...no joke! Guess what happened afterwards...I get to know and be known by people whom I'd have never imagined! Thus if I've to go through this again, I'd gladly commit myself as the benefits, i.e. friendship and becoming a more competent photographer far outweighs the uncertainty and the move beyond our comfort zone!

But for ladies, well don't worry 'too much'! Although most of us here are guys, it doesn't mean you'll find yourself with a pack of wolves (the regular ladies, I need you to lend me your credibility and back me up here!) As said, we're basically a fun-loving bunch, 'see' it to believe it!

So why wait? Come come! Don't shy! :gbounce:

Option: I just dun like the regular organisers, i.e. Adam Goi ;p

5 members, including my 'good friend' Bluestrike voted for this. Erm...that's a tough one! ;) Most probably, the person is me, just me! Well...I can only say this..."It's not my problem, it's YOURS!" :dent:

But seriously, it'll help a great deal if we can have more members and that include you (who thinks I'm too 'insignificant') to rise to the occasion and organise! Trust me, it's fun and sure helps to build up one's confidence! If you need help, i.e. the know-hows, do let me know! :gbounce:

Option: I'm too green (in terms of skills and equipments)

A fairly large number, i.e. 12.33% or 18 members felt that this discourages them from joining us.

All of us have to start from somewhere. Personally, I feel that no one has the right to 'look down' on others simply because they (think) shoot like Pros although we do have a few credible ones here, owning Pro-equipments or simply have been shooting (a bit) longer.

For crying out loud, it's just a HOBBY (for most of us)! Hardwares aside, it's still the person, the heart that matters!

For me, I may have a few pieces of pro-equipment but I still shoot like an amateur and would like to remain as one.

Just come and enjoy; enjoy photography! :gbounce:

Option: All guys, no gals? (yawn)

Again, a fairly large number, i.e. 12.33% or 18 members felt that this discourages them from joining us too! :bsmilie:

Let's face it. The male factor is pretty dominant and expected. We don't have as much yin factor as we would like. Still, I hope that doesn't convey the message (hidden) that the guys are wolves in sheep clothings! Perhaps we need to 'encourage' the ladies members here to ask their girlfriends along...don't think so far lah...we can always be friends what! :dent:

Option: Family and relationship commitments

13 or 8.9% voted. It's mixed feelings for me. I envy and sympathize your situation. You did the right thing! Spending time with your loved ones should take precedence over hobbies but if possible, do find time to pursue your interest. I can't (no experience yet) teach you how you can go about getting 'clearance' to join us but it sure helps if you can ask (or to extent of begging...hahaha) very sincerely. Giving a convincing, pitiful look and cutting deals with them do help on certain occasions too! If you can rope in your kids to help, better still but I suppose the kids want to come along too! :D

Well analysed, Adam.

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Option: Family and relationship commitments

13 or 8.9% voted. It's a mixed feeling for me. I envy and sympathizes your situation. You did the right thing! Spending time with your loved ones should take precedence over hobbies but if possible, do find time to pursue your interest. I can't (no experience yet) teach you how you can go about getting 'clearance' to join us but it sure helps if you can ask (or to extent of begging...hahaha) very sincerely. Giving a convincing, pitiful look helps on certain occasions too! If you can rope in your kids to help, better still but I suppose the kids want to come along too! :D

Haha! This one, must ask AGP4X for advise!

Refer to my post ranting about yesterday for more details. ;)

Btw, my 707 seems really puny compared to all these nice stuff I saw yesterday...droolz... :D

Well done, Adam. Good that you take the time to explain. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wah!! Very interesting psychoanalysis of CS members!! Err. ClubSnap and not CounterStrike!! :D

Hehehe....I read already want to laugh. Adam u are qutie amusing the way u write. It was a very enjoyable read. Thanks for the effort for setting up this fabulous club!! (That goes to all the founding members also). So when is the next meeting to shoot? I want to come along.........:D

Hmm.. I agree with Adam's idea of bringing your spouse/partner/child to photoshoot outings too. Hmm.. in a way they will understand why you have this passion for photography and also they might pleasantly surprise you to have interest in it too. ;)

As for the "majority of Clubsnappers are guys" hmm.. I would be very glad to extend a warm welcome to all the gals in clubsnap to join in future photoshoot.. So guys, dun feel shy okie, rest assured you are not alone there. ;)

Zoomer: "Btw, my 707 seems really puny.. " hmm.. i think your camera looks bigger than mine.. ( CP 4500), keke... well, every camera have its own strength.. it really depends on how you maximise and bring out that strength in it.. ;)

juz my 3cs worthh.. :D

suggestion, for those ladies who feel uncomfortable joining the mostly guys' shootouts, a ladies section or ladies-only shoot?

that way the ladies get to feel comfortable shooting too..for those that are very very shy...
And also for those who need buddies for company and safety purposes too...

just my one cent worth...:D

regards,
argent2

Originally posted by argent2
suggestion, for those ladies who feel uncomfortable joining the mostly guys' shootouts, a ladies section or ladies-only shoot?

that way the ladies get to feel comfortable shooting too..for those that are very very shy...

regards,
argent2

Why segregate? We are a free society with everyone as equals.

regards,
argent2

Good suggestion...come to think of it, I don't really feel 'comfortable' with the guys...can I come over to the ladies section? :dent:

regards,
argent2

If they do that, I will dress up as a lady and join them. hehehehe.. just kidding. ;p

On a more serious note, I don't think that's required lar. To be honest, guys will be MORE than happy to welcome the gals to join them.

Cheers ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.