Follow-up to "Why don't I join the photoshoots?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehehe... :embrass: :embrass: {sheepish grin} You're welcome! Next time, we'll set a flash gun on strobe and let it fire once per second to signal the photo group's location -- then any photog can recognize a flash going off, even in the dark!

kaywalk said:
Hi ykia, if KT's outing was a turning point for me, it's all because of you! :lovegrin:

The task looked simple: Spot over 20 camera-wielding people early morning in sleepy Changi Village. They would be sitting near the nasi lemak stall. Even I can't screw that up, right?

The reality: I was faced with a choice of a group near the nasi lemak stall with fishing rods (they happened to be Malay), and a group FAR AWAY from the nasi lemak stall with black backpacks. But ONE MAN (movie trailer voiceover, hehe) in the backpack group was examining a camera. So I circled around the hawker centre twice like a foolish vulture, and faced my options: Approach them, or chicken out and go solo shooting in Changi Village.

So ykia, thanks for being the one holding the camera, and it was a pleasure to meet you. Your friendliness really helped. :D Actually, not much "2nd thinking" was required. Thinking about the worst-case scenario is only to put the whole thing in perspective. So I can move on to think: Free that day? Free. Want to go? Yes. Put name down? OK.

Well said! I agree completely.

The ladies who have posted saying they wanted to go, but when they realised there would mostly be guys, they decided to forget it, haven't actually mentioned what exactly about that put them off. :dunno:

ykia said:
Hehehe... :embrass: :embrass: {sheepish grin} You're welcome! Next time, we'll set a flash gun on strobe and let it fire once per second to signal the photo group's location -- then any photog can recognize a flash going off, even in the dark!

You can add a batman decal over the flash as well

Hi Adam,

Kudos to you for initiating this club....
btw, just to share with you. some experience my church has when welcoming completely green members during church events...

We have this thing called "Befrienders"
Basically, these are a core group of church goers who are entrusted to welcome members of the public, and make them feel welcome and comfortable...

you can likened them to IC.... (in army terms)

These befrienders will stay with the new members throughout the event, and share with them all about the church, while at the same time also participating in the event...

likewise, maybe you can organise a core group of forumers (who already know each other inside out) and task to them a group of new comers (subject to a list being compiled)....

in this way, the new comers find comfort in being in the midst of fellow new comers...
while at the same time, enjoy the company of a experienced forummer.....

and when the second outing occurs.... some of the new comers would find great comfort in finding familiar new comer faces..... and it will then be a good time to also bring them into the rest of the big family....

hmm..of course, for the more social new comers, they need not subscribe to what i suggest above.... they might even skip appetizers and go straight to the main course...

but well. =)
i am suggesting this because I too am a shy new comer, with no skills, no pro equipment...
and sometimes hesistant about breaking into a group which has already formed their group jargon and social behaviours...

just me two cents worth :bsmilie:

Just curious but anyone come for such events carrying a small digital camera, not even a prosumer? Will he or she be looking really funny and out of place? Especially when all are carrying SLRs DSLRs and all?

Althought to be politically correct, the organisers would say all are welcome etc etc etc but frankly I think newbies who haven't had enough knowledge to invest in such equipment will feel really out of place. Its like going to a road trip to Malaysia, the advert says all are welcome... but really when you find that 99 percent of the cars are porsches, Ferraris etc and the worse looking car is a decent souped up Nissan Skyline and you come driving your 1993 Toyota Corolla. How would you feel?

I think the same applies here to why newbies don't join photoshoots.

Hi,

I started serious digital photography only about 1-2 years ago. Although I own a DSLR doesn't mean anything at all. I am still learning from taking more pictures, participate in forum, and hopefully will join the photoshoot soon.

For example, a beautiful lady who doesn't has a driving licence standing beside a Porches etc.... what is the point, she can only pose here and there, but not able to experience the full potential of a Porches.

My point is, to know yourself, your strengths, weaknesses it is more important than the limitations of equipment.

Just want my point to be heard.
:(

Steplim said:
Hi,

I started serious digital photography only about 1-2 years ago. Although I own a DSLR doesn't mean anything at all. I am still learning from taking more pictures, participate in forum, and hopefully will join the photoshoot soon.

For example, a beautiful lady who doesn't has a driving licence standing beside a Porches etc.... what is the point, she can only pose here and there, but not able to experience the full potential of a Porches.

My point is, to know yourself, your strengths, weaknesses it is more important than the limitations of equipment.

Just want my point to be heard.
:(

I understand the point you are saying about equipment about not being everything but however as you said you do have a DSLR. My point was that amatuer photographers who only have a small digital camera or maybe even a point and shoot camera, won't they feel out of place in a photoshoot in which a SLR or a DSLR has become the unspoken requirement. You can be sure that will be the last time they will join or perhaps as they approach the group and see the array of gear, they will turn and walk away instead.

lol. off topic liao.

ehhh. ya lor. i agree with the befriender club. ;)
who want to befriend me!:bsmilie:

centuryegg said:
I understand the point you are saying about equipment about not being everything but however as you said you do have a DSLR. My point was that amatuer photographers who only have a small digital camera or maybe even a point and shoot camera, won't they feel out of place in a photoshoot in which a SLR or a DSLR has become the unspoken requirement. You can be sure that will be the last time they will join or perhaps as they approach the group and see the array of gear, they will turn and walk away instead.

organise a point and shoot or specifiy gathering then maybe will not feel out of place, just my little suggestion.

Well, I don't think that any of the outings are bad. I believe it is up to ourselves to make it enjoyable.;)

Hi,

There are many reasons why people do something and why they are not.
It could be reason like lack of time, no priority, family commitment, not benefitial, shyness etc...

Perhaps, may I suggest that someone, a senior member of clubsnap with special skills and interest level from either close-up/macro, portraits, scenery, wedding/birthdays/indoor shoots experiences to start a small interest group with a shooting gathering in mind.

I believed why people want to commit time to photo shoot is to learn from a more senior/experienced member else they can shoot by themselves. So with this in mind, it will be good to have a mix of skills levels with common interest to form this group and it will be good also to inculde a photos shooting clinics too.

Once this group/groups are formed, there can be discussions on topics on interests they would like to know and prepare for the coming photo shoot outing. Therefore, they can come prepared for the outing and the results can be multi-folds!

So, seniors, seniors, hope that you can step in to start something this year.... :thumbsup:

centuryegg said:

well you're right,i did walk away once and i swear never to join any of the outings again.
imagine a secondary school kid who says his a newbie (try to be humble i guess) and owns a canon 2.2k dslr isn't it a bit too far fetched?
almost 50% of the group there was so engrossed with his camera.
i seriously think he can't be a newbie to invest that amount of money into his equipment.
he must have quite some knowledge about photography if not how could he spend that sum unless is his parents money.

Simon_84 said:
well you're right,i did walk away once and i swear never to join any of the outings again.
imagine a secondary school kid who says his a newbie (try to be humble i guess) and owns a canon 2.2k dslr isn't it a bit too far fetched?
almost 50% of the group there was so engrossed with his camera.
i seriously think he can't be a newbie to invest that amount of money into his equipment.
he must have quite some knowledge about photography if not how could he spend that sum unless is his parents money.
Cannot say like this la i am also a newbie infact very green in photograhy but most of my equipment is inherited from my dad. Some of it i didn't know cost so much in the market until i join this forum to find out, so if i join any of the outing i cannot become a newbie mah. Just my personal view not to offend your post.

Green newbies should just organise outings amongst yourselves for yourselves. depending on the size of the group, maybe have one or two learned members who should not be hung-up on high-end eqpt to offer tips & impart photography technical/compositional skills.

You are friendly people but be a little selfish to make it a point to keep high-end eqpt users out of the group. You protect yourself by limiting eqpt talk and comparision, and more focus on making the full use of your own camera.

Once you have formed that core outing group, have gone shooting for a few times and are comfortable with your own photographic path & progress, you may be more confident to branch out to other outings, with or without friends from the initial green newbie outing.

As much as the other learned members in CS make it a point to welcome green newbies to their outing, only green newbies understand clearly the issues they face. Take control and be proactive. Don't dare to join outings? Make your own lah.

(myself part of the newbies chit-chat outing group ;p )

foxtwo said:
Green newbies should just organise outings amongst yourselves for yourselves. depending on the size of the group, maybe have one or two learned members who should not be hung-up on high-end eqpt to offer tips & impart photography technical/compositional skills.

You are friendly people but be a little selfish to make it a point to keep high-end eqpt users out of the group. You protect yourself by limiting eqpt talk and comparision, and more focus on making the full use of your own camera.

Once you have formed that core outing group, have gone shooting for a few times and are comfortable with your own photographic path & progress, you may be more confident to branch out to other outings, with or without friends from the initial green newbie outing.

As much as the other learned members in CS make it a point to welcome green newbies to their outing, only green newbies understand clearly the issues they face. Take control and be proactive. Don't dare to join outings? Make your own lah.

(myself part of the newbies chit-chat outing group ;p )

well said :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
maybe should have an outing just for compacts only (no dslr).

Simon_84 said:
well said :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
maybe should have an outing just for compacts only (no dslr).

there's no shame in that, in fact, I was even thinking of a phone camera outing.

it's always in the season to make collages of color during CNY.

LazerLordz said:
there's no shame in that, in fact, I was even thinking of a phone camera outing.

it's always in the season to make collages of color during CNY.
Yes, that the right way to treat ur life, join when you like to join. If not organise something you enjoy. Win Win situation. Everybody enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was this once I went on a outdoor trip (Not Clupsnap). This small group of rowdy 4 guys before setting up equipments was already rattling about their equipments. One said "Aiyah, dun use L lenses picture sure blur one, waste time only!"

Out came their 10Ds, 1D and others and truckload of white L lenses, transported using their fleet of cars comprising of BMW coupe, Mit EVO, Alfa Romeo and an Audi.

Perhaps these are the snobs who makes outings terrifying for newbies, amateur and thriftys with their less than glorious equipments?

Are you affected by all these? Would you:

1. Set up your $15 tripod next to someone's Manfrotto?
2. Put your $300 P&S digital camera on the tripod next to that fellow's 5D on his Manfrotto?
3. Ask the rowdy ones to keep quiet so that your little camera on its light tripod will not shake?

hifisiao said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was this once I went on a outdoor trip (Not Clupsnap). This small group of rowdy 4 guys before setting up equipments was already rattling about their equipments. One said "Aiyah, dun use L lenses picture sure blur one, waste time only!"

Out came their 10Ds, 1D and others and truckload of white L lenses, transported using their fleet of cars comprising of BMW coupe, Mit EVO, Alfa Romeo and an Audi.

Perhaps these are the snobs who makes outings terrifying for newbies, amateur and thriftys with their less than glorious equipments?

Are you affected by all these? Would you:

1. Set up your $15 tripod next to someone's Manfrotto?
2. Put your $300 P&S digital camera on the tripod next to that fellow's 5D on his Manfrotto?
3. Ask the rowdy ones to keep quiet so that your little camera on its light tripod will not shake?

Amen to that on your feelings of being belittled within that environment.

Btw, a cook can drive a BMW to work, but if he can't cook great food, he is still a lousy cook.

Your talents are your best gifts, the rich people might not even have any where in their blood near your gifts.

So next time you stand next to them, jus remember the rich also have to either squat or sit on the bowl whenever they have to shiiit, its not as though they are so special that the shiiit can come out of their bowels on teleportation basis.
they are just as common as any one of us. They do the same things all humans have to do.
Their Shiit are not made of gold. They still have to dig and puff clear their nose. And their urine are also equally pungent.

So They are not any superior. ;)

hey.. really green newbie here who just joined.. when r da photoshoots held? and r der any prerequisites 2 joinin?

nicekid said:
hey.. really green newbie here who just joined.. when r da photoshoots held? and r der any prerequisites 2 joinin?

No prerequisites.. just need to have a love for photography. Just look out for new photoshoots organised here by the kind souls here. And just join them if your timing can permit. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.