Status
Not open for further replies.

redman2

May 20, 2003
East
redman2.multiply.com
Hi

Need help on this matter.

Sometimes when travelling (to tropical places), I bring along my cameras and lenses in my one and only camera bag. Most hotel rooms are air-conditioned, and having my camera to sleep in the same room, what is likely to happen the next morning is that fogging will occur on the front element or filter, camera viewfinder also... Would love to bring along my dry box if I can, but...

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Sometimes beautiful sunrise shots are missed because of this fogging issue. Anyone with brilliant ideas and would love to share? Thanks in advance! :D

some of my practises...

1. always keep equipment in double layered ziploc bags. the trapped air will probably serve as a an insulating layer between two extremely differing temperatures. but then again, if the equipment is spending the night with you in an air-conditioned room, the air inside is going to get cold too....
2. look arnd for the warmest part of the room. some of the hotel toilets i've been to have a ventilation fan there, and for some reason it's pretty warm there. other good bets are under the table lamps, which can get pretty hot if you leave them switched on the whole night.
3. and as if that's not enough, my gear will be wrapped under a pile of clothes.

so far this has worked for me!!!

You can try putting your bags at the concierge and lock up the bag first.

Most hotel concierge storage are quite warm.

I wouldn't put the bag in the toilet as there will be moisture.

Table lamps is a good choice or try sleeping with the lenses...:eek:

Thanks!

I've tried 'wrapping in clothes' method but the air inside still gets cold... but will give the 'table lamp' method a try. Maybe can combine this two methods and I think can work pretty well.

How about putting a warm device inside the camera bag jus before going to bed?

Sleeping with my lenses sound interesting, don't think I'll be crushed by my equipment, maybe it will crush me due to its weight. haha. :bsmilie:

Hmm...what I would do is to wake up an hour or more earlier and get out to wait for the sunrise to occur.

While waiting, the fogging on the lens would have probably cleared by then.

Yah... I wake up earlier also, go to my selected spot, and remove my every lenses caps so to allow the fogging to take place and hopefully goes off by the time I need them. But sometimes if I forget to do so, or time constraint etc, then the shots are gone. Actually looking for a convenient and immediate way. Hehe. :D

Originally posted by Zerstorer
Hmm...what I would do is to wake up an hour or more earlier and get out to wait for the sunrise to occur.

While waiting, the fogging on the lens would have probably cleared by then.

Model answer. :thumbsup:

I use an easy solution... i adjust the air-con temp to be at an optimum 24deg C. My camera cant bear anything colder than that nor can I :D

A friend teach me this method. Don't know if it works or not..... Maybe someone can try and let me know....

1. Put your equipment in a ziplock bag. Maybe 2 for more insulation.....

2. When you leave a place with major temperature changes, like from an air con hotel, leave your equipments in the ziplock first. You'll notice that the ziplock will start to fog up. Don't remove your equipment at this point of time.....

3. After seeing that the ziplock is starting to clear up, you can start removing your equipments to use....

What happens here, according to my friend, is that as the air in the zip lock will experience more dramatic temperatur change, it will start to fog up first before the camera and equipments will. Thus, protecting your equipments from moisture and also to prevent major fogging of equipments....

According to him, it also works in the reverse. i.e. When leaving a heated room into a cold outdoor.

Originally posted by Zerstorer

hehehe... the optimal solution, but not always the most practical, especially when ur travelling with non-photographers.

Originally posted by munfai
hehehe... the optimal solution, but not always the most practical, especially when ur travelling with non-photographers.

yah... quite true.

sometimes, fogging also occurs in late morning and afternoon. like leaving the hotel room in the late morning, i can't take shots immediately also, need time for the fogging to go away. i can't ask my non-photographer room-mates to off the air-con an hour before we leave the hotel room so that my equipment can adapt to the changing temperature. maybe someone can go invent some kind of a thingy to solve this prob. ;)

Originally posted by redman2
yah... quite true.

sometimes, fogging also occurs in late morning and afternoon. like leaving the hotel room in the late morning, i can't take shots immediately also, need time for the fogging to go away. i can't ask my non-photographer room-mates to off the air-con an hour before we leave the hotel room so that my equipment can adapt to the changing temperature. maybe someone can go invent some kind of a thingy to solve this prob. ;)

Vacuum Lens? heheheheheheh

:D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.