Focusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

shark

Sep 25, 2003
West
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have a question on focusing. If I'm taking a shot of two person. About one arm length and one step behind of each other. How can I get both object in focus? Where is the focus point? I notice one of the person is out of focus.

Need your advise.

I would stop down the aperture and focus on the front person.
I read that the depth of field is approximate 1/3 infront and 2/3 behind the focus point.

Hi Guys,

I have a question on focusing. If I'm taking a shot of two person. About one arm length and one step behind of each other. How can I get both object in focus? Where is the focus point? I notice one of the person is out of focus.

Need your advise.
use a smaller aperture eg f8

IIRC, if you use Canon system, you can use Depth of Field Priority mode for some camera.

Regards,
Arto.

I'm using a Nikon system. Just wondering can I use the Auto area AF to get both subject in focus?

I'm using a Nikon system. Just wondering can I use the Auto area AF to get both subject in focus?
like what adamadam said, focus on the front person... and make sure you have enough DOF.

There is no way to focus on 2 subjects at different distances.... physics!

You can make use of the depth-of-field (DOF) to make both subject looks focused. Using a smaller aperture (larger f-number) will increase the DOF and make both subject looks focused.

BC

You can make use of the depth-of-field (DOF) to make both subject looks focused. Using a smaller aperture (larger f-number) will increase the DOF and make both subject looks focused.

BC

Thanks.

BC
Haven't you heard about simultaneous focus? You can actually get an aspherical surface to cause light from 2 different distance to fall in focus at the same plane but the images will be soft.

To TS: That's not for photography. Use the available answers already provided to solve your problem. ie. close down the aperture to get a deeper depth of field. Otherwise, use a compact digital PnS, that's where it will come in useful because they've got such great depth of field.

Thanks for all the tips. Will experiment it.

Nah... wrong application of hyperfocusing. You hyperfocus only when you want the background to appear in focused too.

BC
I suppose that you can use that also. It is like the "best bang" for ur aperture stop. But it will be difficult to apply as most likely the person is using a zoom lens, so the hyperfocusing scale is not given. Also the application is used mainly if you want the "end point" of the focus to be at infinity(as you have mentioned), but if can used on 2 people if you wish. :)

Both manual or auto focus will work. Try experimenting by focusing the person infront and shooting with a aperture from f5.6 to f8 to see. Most likely, the person at the back will be focused.

Roger

I suppose that you can use that also. It is like the "best bang" for ur aperture stop. But it will be difficult to apply as most likely the person is using a zoom lens, so the hyperfocusing scale is not given. Also the application is used mainly if you want the "end point" of the focus to be at infinity(as you have mentioned), but if can used on 2 people if you wish. :)

If like that, you can also be super kiasu and use the smallest aperture f/22 or f/32 for all your shots, high chance to get most things to look focused.;)

BC:bsmilie:

Yup... Right on the dot. Taking the further person as the end pt of the DOF... This is also the principle on how A-Dep in canon cams work:)

If like that, you can also be super kiasu and use the smallest aperture f/22 or f/32 for all your shots, high chance to get most things to look focused.;)

BC:bsmilie:

Haha... Ya... And risk exposing all the dust on ur sensor and falling into IQ degredation due to diffraction;)

If you want everything in focus, try use wide angle lens instead of tele lens. And small aperture.

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.