Focusing screen for D700

I find the stock screen good enough even for manual focusing except with slower lenses 3.5 or slower, and in low contrast conditions/subjects.

Never compared the D700 VF with my D300 VF, but I got a split-prism focusing screen off eBay for my D300 just so I could use my 50/1.2 better on it. Cost me about $30. I think it's working good, and I like seeing the same thing in both my digital and film SLRs. =) Also, I find my f1.2 shots are more accurate than using a plain (stock) screen. Only downside is, now that there's a split prism, you notice how sometimes the camera's AF is not so zun. Haha! But that's good too coz then you can refocus instead of just shooting and getting a not-as-focused-as-you-like shot.

I just ordered a Katzeye focusing screen from Katzeye but it's not in yet. Will update you guys when I get it and have it installed and have the chance to test with some MF lenses.

I just ordered a Katzeye focusing screen from Katzeye but it's not in yet. Will update you guys when I get it and have it installed and have the chance to test with some MF lenses.

please update =) i got a 3rd party split focus on my d200 now and when i finally get my next body im planning to put more $ into the screen. use manual lenses 95% of the time. and my 1 AF lens in manual focus another 2.5% of the time

Just so you have options...

I got mine from here. Was good, I got the EC-L screen from Canon, cut to fit my D700.
Have not used others. Fit was goodd and they provide extra plastic shims.
If you're okay with having a Canon stuff inside your Nikon :)

www.focusingscreen.com

Any updates on this? I am searching for a bright focusing screen for D700... specifically to use the large aperture primes on.

Missed the super bright and DOF look on my FM3a :)

Any updates on this? I am searching for a bright focusing screen for D700... specifically to use the large aperture primes on.

Missed the super bright and DOF look on my FM3a :)

im looking to adapt minolta acute-matte focus screen, but have yet to get hold of one. they re supposed to be the brightest and possibly the most accurate screens for manual focus.

im looking to adapt minolta acute-matte focus screen, but have yet to get hold of one. they re supposed to be the brightest and possibly the most accurate screens for manual focus.

looking for one too...do update if got hold of if...

Yeah, please update if you find them. Possible to MO?

looking for one too...do update if got hold of if...

Yeah, please update if you find them. Possible to MO?

im thinking of getting afew dead minolta bodies from ebay for the screens, but have yet to find a good deal. im not even sure it ll work but i ll just try first =) will let you guys know if it works out.