Focusing question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

meadowbank

Oct 7, 2009
Hi, I'm a new Canon 500D user and I'm struggling with a focusing issue and am hoping to find some advice here.

I started off using the camera with Auto AF point selection and noticed that the camera kept picking up the wrong points to focus on. So I have switched to a single centre AF point now.

When I'm taking a portrait of a single person, I focus the point at the eyes and then recompose, no issues. But when I'm taking a portrait of 3 persons indoors, where should I point at to ensure all 3 persons are focused sharply in the picture? I use Av mode. I can't use A-DEP because I cannot manage the slow shutter speed.

I usually shoot at a larger f for groups. But in situations where I have to shoot in low light indoor environments and flash photography is not allowed and tripods are not possible, I am forced to shoot in f2.8 or lower (I can't manage the slow shutter speed if f is higher), how do I take a portrait photo of 3 persons and ensure that all 3 are focused?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Up your ISO to compensate for the smaller aperture.

Like Rashkae says, up the ISO in order to use a smaller aperture. If you max that out on your camera, you'll need to use flash.

Perhaps ensure all 3 people are as close together as possible and on the same plain, perpendicular to the camera?

Up your ISO. Since you are shooting at wide aperture, by making the 3 of them standing in a straight line will help in getting them all in focus. Or you can stop down 1/3 or 2/3 f stops. :)

in this case.. shld use all 9 points issit?

Hi, I'm a new Canon 500D user and I'm struggling with a focusing issue and am hoping to find some advice here.

I started off using the camera with Auto AF point selection and noticed that the camera kept picking up the wrong points to focus on. So I have switched to a single centre AF point now.

When I'm taking a portrait of a single person, I focus the point at the eyes and then recompose, no issues. But when I'm taking a portrait of 3 persons indoors, where should I point at to ensure all 3 persons are focused sharply in the picture? I use Av mode. I can't use A-DEP because I cannot manage the slow shutter speed.

I usually shoot at a larger f for groups. But in situations where I have to shoot in low light indoor environments and flash photography is not allowed and tripods are not possible, I am forced to shoot in f2.8 or lower (I can't manage the slow shutter speed if f is higher), how do I take a portrait photo of 3 persons and ensure that all 3 are focused?

Thanks!
one thing about shooting big groups is tat your focal length is short, thus the DOF is being compensated for. So you do not have to worry about the aperture being too wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.