Focusing problem?

torque6

Jul 7, 2008
I am trying to shoot this figure, but seems the right hand is blurred.

I am shooting the figure with D3100 with 50mm 1.4, photo parameters is 1.4fp, 1/50. Shot with 2 soft boxes on each side.

Appreciate some help. thank you.

focusing.jpg

Last edited:
You shot it at f1.4? There's your problem, try shooting at higher f-number for more DOF

wah 50mm 1.4 ^^ nice haha. ya thats the problem you shot it at 1.4 try f8? or f5.6 haha or u can slowly increase the F-no. to see the different ^^ eg 2.8 5.6 8 11 ~~~

Thats e effects of 1.4. If u focus on e hand and e body is sharp then e lens got problem.

Sorry, I didn't explain clearly. Increasing F stop will result in my background becoming visible and thus will also cause the right hand to show. However, I would like to shoot with bokeh back ground while isolating the figure but with the figure hands becoming visible as well. The lens can only focus on body or hand but not both. Is ther a way to AE lock or select focus point in manual mode?

So far i am taking 2 shots, 1 at 1.4fp and another at 5.6fp with tripod and replacing the arm with the 5.6fp layer using quick selection tool in CS5.

I am inquiring if there is any way to do this other than the above method, distance from subject etc?

Thank you

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't explain clearly. Increasing F stop will result in my background becoming visible and thus will also cause the right hand to show. However, I would like to shoot with bokeh back ground while isolating the figure but with the figure hands becoming visible as well. The lens can only focus on body or hand but not both. Is ther a way to AE lock or select focus point in manual mode?

So far i am taking 2 shots, 1 at 1.4fp and another at 5.6fp with tripod and replacing the arm with the 5.6fp layer using quick selection tool in CS5.

I am inquiring if there is any way to do this other than the above method, distance from subject etc?

Thank you

Yes play with the distance. Place the figurine nearer to you and keep the background far away, this will make the arm visible and have a reasonably blur background at f5.6

Thank you

Psst.... There is no "bokeh back ground". I think you mean "blurred background". Bokeh is not blur.

You need to increase the distance to the background then.

Thank you
using a smaller the lens aperture, make a larger background to replace the current one, so you can triple the distance between your figurine and the background will to make it out of focus.
if your background is far enough, using f22 will still be out of focus since you are shooting a small figurine.

Your manual knows how to select a certain focus point, in manual focusing mode you still get the focus confirmation. Point to the right elbow, should be the middle distance between face and hand. Use one of the many DOF calculators online to check the resulting DOF for your aperture. You will see how far the sharp area goes and where it becomes blur.
Btw: aperture is stated as 'f/x' or just the number .. where do you get this 'fp' from?

1) Stand further back.

2) Increase your aperture value.

thanks guys for the suggestions.

should it be worrying there is no visible indication of light from the 2 softboxes?

should it be worrying there is no visible indication of light from the 2 softboxes?

True hor? Lighting looks flat.

TS,
How big is the softbox?
Background looks like a PC monitor, thus I assume it's quite close to the subject. It's also not very large. If indeed you have used a couple of softboxes, should see some light on the monitor as well.