focusing point

Status
Not open for further replies.

monyol

Aug 29, 2005
hi! i'm a newbie..an i'm into motorsports photography.
i'm using 20d and planning to get the 70-200mm f/4 L len for my friend's race at sepang.
is the len sufficient enough for this kind of photography?
And another question is...should i use all 9- AF point in my 20d or just the centre AF point for my focusing?..or should i just use the ai servo..Thanks in advance.

if you plan to shoot moving cars, definatley put it to AI Servo. The 20D+70-200f/4 combi is perfect for these- focuing is virtually real time. Just remember to limit your focusing to 3m-inf.

chioce of AF point differs in personal preference. The safe thing to do is to use the centre only but this will limit your composition somewhat.

:when you shoot a moving car, remember don;t use flash :D

Have fun :)

DT:)

dreamtheatre said:
if you plan to shoot moving cars, definatley put it to AI Servo. The 20D+70-200f/4 combi is perfect for these- focuing is virtually real time. Just remember to limit your focusing to 3m-inf.

chioce of AF point differs in personal preference. The safe thing to do is to use the centre only but this will limit your composition somewhat.

:when you shoot a moving car, remember don;t use flash :D

Have fun :)

DT:)

thanks for your guidance....one more thing,i do not have a monopod...is it alright to shoot hand held..:confused: i'm shooting motor bikes by the way.

monyol said:
i'm using 20d and planning to get the 70-200mm f/4 L len for my friend's race at sepang.
And another question is...should i use all 9- AF point in my 20d or just the centre AF point for my focusing?..or should i just use the ai servo..Thanks in advance.

perhaps a 28-200mm lens might be good for general shoots of cars

monyol said:

perhaps a 28-200mm lens might be good for general shoots of cars

monyol said:

what is the meaning of newbie? one who is new or inexperienced, and needs help in a certain area of technique of photography, ( like anyone of us ), but is using a PROFESSIONAL BODY?

please spare us forum-ers the need to regurgitate fake empathy and enthusiasm to help NEWBIES in their weak aspects. no need to be so humble in the opening line. want to be humble? de-justify your need for top-line pro bodies and lenses, sell all your equipment, and buy a simple, fully controllable manual SLR like well known FM2 or the like and experiment with all different lenses on film. learning curve will indefinitely deepen.

it is amazing how many threads i have come across with newbie this, newbie that/.

Douglas

cool it doug, he is just asking for some opinions.
[actually the 20d is not professional at all but..nevermind ;) ]

anyway, if the setup is 20d and 70-200f4L,

1. no need for monopod because the entire set-up is so light:800+800=1600grams
2. use AI-servo for realtime focus tracking of the moving cars
3. since the cars will mostly occupy the centre of the frame, its ok to manually select the centre AF point. but usually for capturing moving subjects, its advisable to use automatic AF point selected mode;)

doug3fflux said:
what is the meaning of newbie? one who is new or inexperienced, and needs help in a certain area of technique of photography, ( like anyone of us ), but is using a PROFESSIONAL BODY?
20D is a professional body? :bigeyes:

doug3fflux said:

please spare us forum-ers the need to regurgitate fake empathy and enthusiasm to help NEWBIES in their weak aspects. no need to be so humble in the opening line. want to be humble? de-justify your need for top-line pro bodies and lenses, sell all your equipment, and buy a simple, fully controllable manual SLR like well known FM2 or the like and experiment with all different lenses on film. learning curve will indefinitely deepen.

it is amazing how many threads i have come across with newbie this, newbie that/.

Douglas

Sorry Doug,..didn't know that 20d is not a camera for a newbie like me...i guess i've bought the wrong camera to start with then...but anyway that's not the purpose of my question in this forum...I'm trying to gain knowledge here in CS.
anyway to the rest of the CSer...thanks for your kind advice!

monyol said:
Sorry Doug,..didn't know that 20d is not a camera for a newbie like me...i guess i've bought the wrong camera to start with then...but anyway that's not the purpose of my question in this forum...I'm trying to gain knowledge here in CS.
anyway to the rest of the CSer...thanks for your kind advice!
No worries, just shoot more, post more images, people will tend to tell you what's wrong with the images and you can pick up more from there. I also newbie ma, but I using D100, just get whacked lor, "Why images dark" "why no contrast" etc etc... Just learn from the mistakes and move on.

There's no perfect setting, so just try and use what you have, understand what's the difference between using 1 AF - 9 AF, and see which ones suit you best.

In the meanwhile don't be discouraged, keep shooting.

espn said:
No worries, just shoot more, post more images, people will tend to tell you what's wrong with the images and you can pick up more from there. I also newbie ma, but I using D100, just get whacked lor, "Why images dark" "why no contrast" etc etc... Just learn from the mistakes and move on.

There's no perfect setting, so just try and use what you have, understand what's the difference between using 1 AF - 9 AF, and see which ones suit you best.

In the meanwhile don't be discouraged, keep shooting.

Thanks for your kind advice espn...nice to have some encouragement to start with...:)

espn said:
20D is a professional body? :bigeyes:

the 20D may not be a professional body, but it definitely is not a "newbie" body. is it not just below Canon's flagship 1-series bodies? i just believe that when the need arises, we CSers should just post questions, learn, shoot more and move on. no need to demote oneself ever-so humbly in the opening line when the equipment one is using does not justify the portrayed amateurship.

no apology needed here, monyol. :p
move on, and like all of us here, happy shooting and happy learning!

regards,
Douglas

monyol said:
thanks for your guidance....one more thing,i do not have a monopod...is it alright to shoot hand held..:confused: i'm shooting motor bikes by the way.

I believe that a tripod with a pan head can do wonders for your shoot. The F4 70/200 is good if there is good light. Even then, a tripod is quite necessary if you want it really the best from this good lens. Most of my hand held shots on it cmi once the light dims down.

Status
Not open for further replies.