Focusing infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

marklim

Jan 4, 2006
Bukit Timah
hi there,

i have a canon 350d and the kit lens (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II)

however, i would like to know how to focus to infinity as i'm trying to prepare for fireworks shooting.

there is no sign on the kit lens showing "8" .

can anyone help me ? :dunno:

thanks,
mark

Switch to AF mode (if you're not already there), focus on a very distant object (e.g. a far away building), switch to MF mode and you're ready for the fireworks.

point it at some really distant object. anything >300m should be good enough.. Some argue it's not 'true infinity' but then again.. fireworks are located at infinity as well :think:

I don't know about how your lens behaves, but on a D70 with kit lens, if I focus with the lens cap on, it will AF hunt and settle at infinity after that.

kietgnoel said:
Switch to AF mode (if you're not already there), focus on a very distant object (e.g. a far away building), switch to MF mode and you're ready for the fireworks.

thanks for your quick reply. but i would like to know weather this can be achieved in manual focus mode as i've read some threads stating to turn the focus ring to infinity.

how do i do this ? :think:

yanyewkay said:
point it at some really distant object. anything >300m should be good enough.. Some argue it's not 'true infinity' but then again.. fireworks are located at infinity as well :think:

I don't know about how your lens behaves, but on a D70 with kit lens, if I focus with the lens cap on, it will AF hunt and settle at infinity after that.

if i focus with my lens cap, the focus ring will turn all the way to the left. does it mean that its focused to infinity ? :embrass:

marklim said:
hi there,

i have a canon 350d and the kit lens (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II)

however, i would like to know how to focus to infinity as i'm trying to prepare for fireworks shooting.

there is no sign on the kit lens showing "8" .

can anyone help me ? :dunno:

thanks,
mark

That' not a 8, it is ∞ (infinity).

catchlights said:
That' not a 8, it is ∞(infinity).

yeah.. hhaaha.. i could not type out tat character.. :embrass: ∞∞∞

The most practical approach would still be focusing on a distance subject where you know the fireworks will be shooting... ie, buildings from raffles place, where the buildings are bg for ur fireworks.. and switch to manual... works 100% of the time.

you got to know where the infinity mark is. for most lenses, it is not at the end of the focusing ring but 1 or 2mm backwards.

I posted a question about this sometime back.

by the way, the kit lens does not have a focusing scale, therefore you can't really tell from the lens u are at infinity or not... (there is no '8' marks)

Focussing to infinity is the simplest thing to do. Just get rid of that darn autofocus thingy.

Then manually focus on an object as far away as you can see (actually dont need to that far, a reasonably distant object is fine. If you are standing at one end of a football field, the goal posts on the other side will be fine).

And leave the focussing ring in that position.

You do not not have to look at any infinity mark etc

ok. thanks guys. i'll try this chinese new year eve. :D hope to get some good results.

by the way, how do i use bulb shutter ?i've read some articles on fireworks shooting and it says that i should use a bulb shutter. but i do not have a remote shutter release. so do i have to hold on to the button till i want to stop ? or can i press the shutter button once. then press it again to close the shutter?

marklim said:
by the way, how do i use bulb shutter ?i've read some articles on fireworks shooting and it says that i should use a bulb shutter. but i do not have a remote shutter release. so do i have to hold on to the button till i want to stop ? or can i press the shutter button once. then press it again to close the shutter?
Hi Mark, it is HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended that you get a remote as any pressure on the shutter release button might cause your camera to shake.:)

Canew said:
Hi Mark, it is HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended that you get a remote as any pressure on the shutter release button might cause your camera to shake.:)

are there any other alternatives ?? :embrass:

marklim said:
are there any other alternatives ?? :embrass:
#1. use self timer mode to trigger shutter.
#2. use a black card to cover the lens (not contacting the lens), open the shutter, wait for a few seconds, remove the black card for making exposure, exposure end, cover the lens with black card, close the shutter.

ok. i'll try these few methods.

apparentely, users of 300D can actually use a nokia earpiece for the shutter release. not sure if it works. but it does not work on my 350D. 300D users can check out this website. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.