Focusing/Indoors Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoricko

May 25, 2008
Singapore
What do you call the focus distance markings on some lenses? Hyperfocus? Prefocus?

I've got a Sigma 30mm 1.4, its a great lens but I'm somewhat mystified about the "Prefocus" markings. On my used Yashica rangefinder camera, the "Prefocus" markings were like (1m, 1.2m, 1.5m, 2m, 3m, 6m, Infinity) and on the Sigma lens, it is (0.4m, 0.5m, 0.7m, 1m, 2m, Infinity). One of my friends told me its because that Sigma lens is meant for digital cameras and more autofocusing, is this true?

If so, do manual lenses have better "Prefocus" ranges?

By the way, is taking a photograph using flash (with diffuser) distracting? How discreet is it?
Was indoors trying to get some nice shots but even at ISO 1600/3200, the shutter speed needs to get terribly slow to get a decently lit picture.

P.S. : Never take a picture of an old man sitting alone. He threw vulgarities at me :( ...

P.S. 2 : I also find the focusing ring more rigid and harder to turn compared to the used Yashica why is this so? Do the focusing rings on manual lenses turn with less effort?

Last edited:
Those are just distance markings.

Most manufacturers will have very slightly different ways of marking their lenses, but in general, the indications are graduated in smaller and smaller increments the wider the lens is.

Flash is never discrete, unless there are LOTS of others flashing around you. Learn to hold your breath and practise steady holding techniques. Use high ISO like 1600 or 3200 if your camera allows it and don't use flash.

I'll have to bear with slighty blur images when I'm indoors then, any tips for indoor photography? Shoot subjects near lighting source? :p

P.S. : Added stuff and corrected some lame grammer at main post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.