Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

megascriler

Jun 18, 2005
What happens if I were not to half press the shutter and just press full? Does the camera attempt to focus? Or does it have a preset focus calculations in it which it will use?

depends on the your camera make and model.
whether it will take a picture or not depends whether the camera is a shutter or focus priority. some models will not take a picture without focusing, others will.

the best way to ascertain this is to try!

those were the good days of our "idiot proof" 35mm p&s and the "old shool" SLRs!! the newer AF digital cams, SLRs, and DLSR usually employ some form of autofocus before capturing / triggering, unless you are able to bypass this with a manual (M) focus mode. short of which, normally an immediate full press on a AF camera would not lead to an immediate trigger, as the cam would attempt to focus (similar to that of a half-press) first before firing as soon a focus is achieved (else not at all).

Personally I don't think it really matters whether or not the camera focuses, cos you're very likely to get blurry pictures cos of handshake! (Unless your shutter speed is very high, ie 1/1000s or above.)

Its not really possible to "snatch" the shutter without inducing a considerable amount of movement.

solarii said:
Personally I don't think it really matters whether or not the camera focuses, cos you're very likely to get blurry pictures cos of handshake! (Unless your shutter speed is very high, ie 1/1000s or above.)

Its not really possible to "snatch" the shutter without inducing a considerable amount of movement.

what is 'snatch' the shutter? in my manual camera i am always clicking in this fashion and i do not get handshake.the same thing applies for manual mode in DSLR's. so even in a,s,p modes i believe the D70/s is shutter priority which means you can shoot even when camera is not in focus. the D50 which i have is focus priority which does not allow me to shoot if not in focus.

I think he means that the photos might turn out blurry because since there are two stops, pressing directly might cause a higher chance of camera shake. And thanks everybody for their reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.