Focus Peaking and Peaking Level

wm910

Oct 20, 2010
Hi i have been reading online alot about focus peaking on the Sony system, has anyone use this feature for your day to day photography? how was the feature as compared to the normal auto focus, focus point that exists in all cameras?

wish to hear more extensive information from experts here.

Peaking is a aid for manual focussing. As you turn the focus ring, objects in the frame get in and out of focus, depending on their distance to the camera's sensor. Peaking will tell you where/what you are foccused on as you turn the focus ring.

Hi i have been reading online alot about focus peaking on the Sony system, has anyone use this feature for your day to day photography?

Yup. I find it useful for subjects that are relatively still, or when you want full control over the focus (e.g. doing controlled focus racks when shooting video), or in situations where AF just doesn't work well (lack of contrast, low light, etc).

how was the feature as compared to the normal auto focus, focus point that exists in all cameras?

It's something you use as an alternative to AF, as Kit mentioned. Comparing auto focus to manual focus, I think that's quite self explanatory. It's described in good detail in the manual. I see it as a guideline to help me MF.

One thing I'd note is that it's something best used with practice as you learn how it works and its limitations. For example, at shallow DOF, it's not a given that FP will always indicate the point that is tack sharp, still gotta use your own judgement and understanding of the lens/camera. With wide angles and deep DOF, it might show a larger range with the peaking, but identifying the actual tack sharp portion can always be a challege, because the DOF is deeper. Bottom line is, expect a fair amount of trial & error, and practice, if you want to master it well.

I find peaking works better when lens is wide open. Focus wide open then stop down to whichever aperture you need to take the photograph.

Yes, peaking do take some getting used to. It's not so obvious on certain subjects i.e. a face compared to a building or landscape. Peaking is more obvious with contrasty scenes.

You can search YouTube for demostrations of focus peaking.

Thanks thanks i have watch all the related videos including the ones you posted. The reason i am here is to learn more from Sony shooters if this mode is your daily option or you guys only use focus peaking peaking level when using manual lenses or other photography which does not includes stills and landscapes?

What would be the most fav mode of shooting for shooters here?

Yup. I find it useful for subjects that are relatively still, or when you want full control over the focus (e.g. doing controlled focus racks when shooting video), or in situations where AF just doesn't work well (lack of contrast, low light, etc).

It's something you use as an alternative to AF, as Kit mentioned. Comparing auto focus to manual focus, I think that's quite self explanatory. It's described in good detail in the manual. I see it as a guideline to help me MF.

One thing I'd note is that it's something best used with practice as you learn how it works and its limitations. For example, at shallow DOF, it's not a given that FP will always indicate the point that is tack sharp, still gotta use your own judgement and understanding of the lens/camera. With wide angles and deep DOF, it might show a larger range with the peaking, but identifying the actual tack sharp portion can always be a challege, because the DOF is deeper. Bottom line is, expect a fair amount of trial & error, and practice, if you want to master it well.

Thanks!

I use it mainly for video and when I am using adapted lenses such as old FD, M42 lenses.

Settings on my A7
Af/MF button is set to toggle between AF/MF (default is hold to switch between AF/MF)
C2 custom button is set to zoom in to confirm focus (Very critical as just relying on peaking if you are using high aperture like f1.4 you can still miss focus)
Peaking color either yellow or red depending on what I am shooting
Peaking level medium as I find high just makes everything glow making it hard to confirm what is in focus

I only use peaking for manual lenses. Don;t see the point in using it with AF lenses.

I use in af lenses too, so that focus faster and confirm. If in dmf mode, I still able to adjust to my needs. Recent super blue blood moon, I got to use mf + focus peaking. Luckily manage to lock on to the moon before turning red.

I use in af lenses too, so that focus faster and confirm. If in dmf mode, I still able to adjust to my needs. Recent super blue blood moon, I got to use mf + focus peaking. Luckily manage to lock on to the moon before turning red.

Is it useful to use in AF lenses does it help?

Is it useful to use in AF lenses does it help?

Yes, it does. At least you feels safer that object is lock on correctly. Esp under bright sun light and you only can view from LCD.

Yes, it does. At least you feels safer that object is lock on correctly. Esp under bright sun light and you only can view from LCD.

What are ur settings on your camera for focus peaking?

What are ur settings on your camera for focus peaking?

I like peaking to be low and red. mid is a little too sensitive and what is shown as peaked may not be sharp