Focus on Imaging - Think Tank/Lee Filters

Jed

Jan 19, 2002
UK
Visit site
Was at Focus in Birmingham today and pieced together a sparse few bits of information :)

Doug Murdoch was in town and I had a brief chat, it seems Think Tank has a new lens change satchel style pouch on the way in "a couple of months". They had working copies of it, and I have to say I was very impressed - it's the first bag I've actually been excited about. Unlike the current system of individual pouches on a belt, this looks a lot like a satchel bag with 2 or 3 (two different sizes) individual drop pouches. I've never been a fan of the individual pouches, but I'm really looking forward to picking up one of these when they hit the stores.

I also had a stop at the Lee Filters booth and they had a working solution of the 14-24mm filter system. First, it's really secure. There's no possibility of slipping or sliding, and as you'd expect from Lee it's very well put together. It's custom fit to the lens, and they might possibly introduce adaptors for other lenses.

Second, it is ridiculously large. I'd estimate the filter is about the size of a 6x8 print. Apparently it is possible to tease the smallest amount of vignetting if you rotate the holder to the extreme corners, but for all intents and purposes it works well - I realise now I omitted to have a snap. They also have an adaptor to let you use your normal Lee adaptors with the oversized holder. £320 inc VAT gets you the adaptor, holder, and a 0.75 ND Grad.

Also, and this is fresh out, they've just released their own 10 stop ND filter (in the normal Lee size). This is uncoated and retails (for now anyway) at £80 + VAT (about 15% more expensive than a 77mm B+W). It looked nice and had foam baffles on the inside to solve the problem of stray light with the 10 stop ND. It was available immediately, although when I had got there later in the day they'd already sold the stock they'd brought in.

Also interestingly in conversation about the "banding" issue that occurs with at least one of the other 10 stop NDs on the market, there was a suggestion that they have observed banding at the QC stage every now and then.

Also interestingly in conversation about the "banding" issue that occurs with at least one of the other 10 stop NDs on the market, there was a suggestion that they have observed banding at the QC stage every now and then.

did they explain why?

i've been trying to figure it out, then i realised that it happened haphazardly, in so many forms. most of the time you can't really tell (at least not when you stack nd110 with gnd on UWA) because of the huge amount of vignetting.

then when you remove it (vignetting) in post process, whee, happy band of blackness.

pics pls ;p

of me? :embrass:

why you want pic of me?

ok ok... here's a lousy self portrait....

3950727296_e1273f935f_m.jpg

pics of product on models pls ;p

Soz, didn't think to take a pic... didn't want to get labelled GWC, although thinking about it the Think Tank might've been a good idea. On the outside it looks like a normal satchel bag, flap over the front with their lovely velcro silencers, and inside basically it's a single flat back (that rests against the hip) and towards the front you can 2 or 3 semi-padded pockets/pouches to fit a 70-200/2.8 with hood attached, or smaller lenses obviously. Think of an oversized train conductor's ticket bag for example.

Getting the 3 pouch version allows you to basically unmount lens from camera, drop it into an empty pouch, pull desired lens out from one of the other pouches, mount on camera. You'd need three of their current quick change pouches hanging on your belt to accomplish the same atm (assuming for example that you want three lenses to work with).

If you only work with say a 24-70 and a 70-200 then you can get the 2 pouch version. I just feel it's a more snug, accomplished solution that the current, bits hanging off a belt thing, which personally I'm not such a fan off.

It was shown in both their black ballistic nylon as well as their cotton blend fabric.

Jed..... I meant the models brandishing the product rather than the actual product itself LOL !! :bsmilie:

The Think Tank Retrospective Lens Changer II and III are already in its website ha ha ha

Jed..... I meant the models brandishing the product rather than the actual product itself LOL !! :bsmilie:

Eh this is not a model show leh.

This is real informative.. I am excited about the TT lens change satchel style pouch the way u too.

Tks for sharing JED. :thumbsup:

Cheers