Focus ok or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolldrum

Nov 29, 2006
JB
Hi,

I have a focusing problem.

It seems that every time i think i got a good focus on something....when i view it on the preview and enlarge it...it seems that i've lost focus.

sometimes after i get home and view it on the computer...then i see that i'm actually out of focus.

my eyesight got problem how to check ah?

or is this just trial and error? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

help please

i took 2 photos of the same object.

I feel that both of them also looks out of focus a bit.

a) this photo looks out of focus to me...how bout u guys?
dragon_not_ok_focus.jpg

b) this one looks better then the other i think
dragon_ok_focus.jpg

but i still think both also out of focus.

:sweat:

maybe if you post some pics for us to see, we might be able to determine if it really is OOF?

i find it difficult to look into the view finder to check whether i got the object on focus or not.

any advise for a newbie?

it could be shutter speed to slow.. maybe got unsteady hands? that one need to just keep taking loh.. a good general rule of thumb to follow is the 1:1 ratio.. if focal length is lets say, 30mm, then shutter speed shouldnt be slower than 1/30 sec.. works pretty much most of the time. if there's a lack of detail, it could be cam mp too low [i think] so yeah.. might not be OOF.

hope that helps. =)

try using a tripod and take the same pic. If pic is clear tehn it's your HAND!!!!!! ;)
By doing so, you'll set your heart at ease that it's not your lens nor cam but your hand

mount on tripod

use the countdown timer 20sec [or as long as you can]

focus and shoot with build in flash [p mode]

and send the full size pic to slooow@gmail.com

i look see look see:)

Frankly..

at 1/4 or 1/5th of a second.. it's not easy to get it sharp. But you already have the aperture at f4.5 (which I guess is the maximum for your kit lens) and have raised your ISO level to 800... Mebbe you may need to do a lil fill flash to increase the shutter speed and also to increase the DOF (change the aperture to a smaller one f5.6 to 7.1).

Cheers,

I did a trial of shooting newspaper article at an angle (using diff aperture settings). I aimed at a word, shot at high speed (1/200), looked through the preview, and found that the words which I aimed at was out of focus. The words which were further away from me was sharper.

One friend told me that it could be a back focus issue. His advice: send lens for callibration.

You can try it now, but do use a tripod.

Hope this helps.

i took 2 photos of the same object.

I feel that both of them also looks out of focus a bit.

a) this photo looks out of focus to me...how bout u guys?
http://gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/dragon_not_ok_focus.jpg

b) this one looks better then the other i think
http://gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/dragon_ok_focus.jpg

but i still think both also out of focus.

:sweat:

First one looks like there's camera shake. 2nd one is sharper.

For me, the first picture looks sharp on top and a bit OOF at the bottom. It could be because you are focus on top of the figure. Its DOF make OOF at the bottom. Bottom part is farther than top part.

The second picture is sharp from top to bottom because its top and bottom have same distance to the camera.

Try use smaller aperture and/or make bottom and top same distance from camera.

I might be wrong :confused: .

Regards,
Arto.

Image input equipment manufacturer: SONY
Image input equipment model: DSLR-A100
F number: 4.5
ISO speed rating: 800

you can try using a bigger F number (smaller aperture) and see whether you still get out of focus shots.

but remember if shutter speed is too slow, you need a tripod or flash. ;)

focus seem ok to me, try sharpness +1 in your camera menu. At 1/4 or 1/5s, it's quite hard to get really sharp photo even with Sony's SSS. Otherwise, shoot aa few more of the same photo and choose the best one.

To know the focus is correct of not. shoot under brighter condition.

For me, the first picture looks sharp on top and a bit OOF at the bottom. It could be because you are focus on top of the figure. Its DOF make OOF at the bottom. Bottom part is farther than top part.

The second picture is sharp from top to bottom because its top and bottom have same distance to the camera.

that's approximately right. the shooting angle is different in both pics.

and at this size, the pics look sharp enough to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.