FOCUS Lock?? AF Lock ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenbong

Mar 17, 2006
Just read through my canon A540 Manual as advised by the senior here just nw and stuck @ this FOCUS & AF Lock feature.
Not so understand how to enable/use this 2 feature and what is the difference between this 2 feature?
I just know that this 2 feature are for shooting hard to focus subject.
Anyone here can help to explain it??:dunno:

point the centre focus area at the place you want to focus, press the shutter button half way to activate focus lock, adjust the camera till you see the shot you want to take, press the shutter button fully...and there you have it :)

don't be afraid to try features out...shooting digital is free...except electricity cost I guess...

point the centre focus area at the place you want to focus, press the shutter button half way to activate focus lock, adjust the camera till you see the shot you want to take, press the shutter button fully...and there you have it :)

don't be afraid to try features out...shooting digital is free...except electricity cost I guess...

Yup..I know about the "point the centre focus area at the place you want to focus, press the shutter button half way to activate focus lock, adjust the camera till you see the shot you want to take, press the shutter button fully"... But this is normally what i do when i shooting..
And this is what i found from internet:-

Shooting with Focus Lock

1. Aim the AF frame at an object at a similar distance to the subject you wish to shoot.
2. Press the shutter button halfway to lock the focus.
3. Keep it pressed while you recompose the image and press the shutter button all the way to shoot the image.

Is this a solution for those that shooting photo with fully press shutter button at one time to get a more clearer and focused photo?
Is it so,mean that i'm doing correctly all the time right since i always press half shutter before i fully depress the shutter..
Sry...Really damn **** new in camera stuff..

to get the focus off something at roughly the same distance as the subject is only necessary when a) you can't get a good focus lock on the subject, or b) you are shooting through glass which might affect the focus of the camera...so in these cases, you get the camera to focus at something that is roughly the same distance as your subject, then you shift the camera to your subject...

otherwise, what I mentioned in my earlier post is still true...:)

kenbong, i think you are a little confused about what rbk is saying.

the internet quote is essentially the same as what he suggested.

1. find focus
2. lock focus
3. reframe to put focus point in the composition you want.

except that rbk suggest find focus by focusing on the subject directly but the net suggest that you can find the focus by aiming at another object in the same vertical (coronal) plane as the subject. you do that when the original subject is too dark, not well defined or have poor contrasting tones, like what rbk say.

put it simply, you aim the centre of the viewfinder where the red box is, at a person's eyes, for example 2m away, zoom in your focal length till you get the appropriate size, e.g. from the forehead to the shoulders in a horizontal "landscape" orientation. now while aiming the centre of the viewfinder at the person face, ie the person's face is in the centre of the frame, you half press and lock the focus to be at 2m away.

now you hold on to the half press, and reframe wherever you like, the focus will be sharpest at anything that is 2m away or near to it. if you want, you can now recompose/reframe, so that the face, instead of being in the centre of the frame when you lock focus that time, can now be shift to one side, maybe on the left of the frame, while a garden with the tower in the background is not on the right of the frame.

1. find focus (subject at centre, focal length decided)
2. lock focus (half press)
3. reframe to put focus point in the composition you want. (recompose, subject elsewhere in the frame)
4. shoot

alternatively, you can also do the following instead, frame to your desired composition, ie. person on the right, garden on the left, zoom to suitable size at respective focal length. use the navigator button to shift your viewfinder focus point/area from the centre to that subject, ie, the person's face. lock focus and then fully press, in one go. in summary, this means

1. frame (subject in final position, focal length set)
2. find focus (use navigator button)
3. lock focus (half press) to allow auto focus to achieve focus
4. shoot

i prefer the first method as my nikon D50 only have 5 points, and it is also easier and faster to reframe manually rather than to use multiple press of the navigator that isn't very accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.