Focus help

Status
Not open for further replies.

megascriler

Jun 18, 2005
Could someone please tell me the difference between metering, exposure COMPENSATION, and focus?

Focus to get the aperture and shutter speed correct? Focus also to meter the scence correct?

How does exposure compensation work? If I raise the EV by say +1.5, the shutter speed is in turn longer than if the EV was lower.

Someone kindly explain.

megascriler said:
Could someone please tell me the difference between metering, exposure COMPENSATION, and focus?

Focus to get the aperture and shutter speed correct? Focus also to meter the scence correct?

How does exposure compensation work? If I raise the EV by say +1.5, the shutter speed is in turn longer than if the EV was lower.

Someone kindly explain.

focus is to get the image sharp

metering is to measure the amount of light reflected off the scene

exposure is the choice of shutter speed and aperture to capture the scene

exposure compensation is overiding the recommended exposure to either brighter or darker

How does exposure compensation work? For example, it is said that if you are taking a picture of dark foliage, you lower the EV.

Why not increase the EV to compensate for the darkness? And how does manual focus work?

Exposure compensation. -

Lets say you are taking a picture of dark foilage, it is dark and your meter (not matrix) will give you a reading to average it out to give you what it thinks is the ideal exposure for that scene.

So you imagin what the picture will look like and you don't like, but want it to look dark. so you decide to under expose the picture by 1/3 stops to make it darker.

So you set the exposure compensation to - 1/3 stop. it is useful if you are shooting around that area and want all the shots to be - 1/3 stop. Automation.

Manual focus

you use your hand to turn the focus ring to focus.
you use your eye and brain to decide if the subject is sharp

auto focus

you point at the subject and just half press the shutter release
the camera will do the rest.

but why is it that even if you don't focus, the pictures CAN still turn out sharp? Or am I wrong? Please help thank you. Meter and Matrix what difference? Thank you.

May I know what camera and lens you are using?

dude, start reading and find out for yourself. you have a camera right?
it's way better than asking around, getting 10 answers and choosing the one which you think is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.