Focal Range at the Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

theNoobiestNoob

Dec 14, 2005
I'll probably be shooting the zoo soon. Which focal range do you recommend? Is the 70-200mm range sufficient?

theNoobiestNoob said:
I'll probably be shooting the zoo soon. Which focal range do you recommend? Is the 70-200mm range sufficient?

should be ok...if u can extend till 300mm...all the better...good luck

last time i was using my fz5 12x zoom was not enough..

maybe bring some food and feed them sure they will come closer :bsmilie:

theNoobiestNoob said:

I think one could make interesting photos using just about any focal length, as long as you don't restrict yourself to the common style of zoo animal photos. Humans in a zoo or the landscaping can make nice pictures, too. And the zoo in my hometown is famous for its architecture.

ycchen said:
last time i was using my fz5 12x zoom was not enough..

maybe bring some food and feed them sure they will come closer :bsmilie:
You can not feed the animal at zoo :nono: .

Regards,
Arto.

70-200 VR?
No problem. Quite sufficient.:D

I'm using 20D with 70-200, ends up with a 320mm. Is that sufficient or is a 1.4x tc needed to take portraits of the animals. Dont wanna spednd $15 to enter and find the animals too far away.

70-200 on 1.6x is enough for full-body shots of certain animals but if you really want to be able to get all the animals or shoot some close-ups, you'll definately need something longer. Even a 1.4x TC won't be enough IMO. For portraits you'll probably need something in the 400-500mm range.

A few years back, bring a 70-200 f4 to the zoo and find it not enough for most shots, even with a 1.4 TC. Got a 100-400 IS after that and find it quite sufficient. Probably required 300mm to 400mm for my needs.

majere2sg said:
A few years back, bring a 70-200 f4 to the zoo and find it not enough for most shots, even with a 1.4 TC. Got a 100-400 IS after that and find it quite sufficient. Probably required 300mm to 400mm for my needs.
You need 600mm :devil:

OT a little. I will be going to the Bird Park on Saturday. Also using a 200 mm only. Hope that it will be OK. Can't afford a teleconverter yet.
But if I were to get a 3rd. party teleconverter, I might be able to afford it. Any comments/suggestions everyone? :)

There are many threads on which TC to buy.

Get a 1.4X, should be long enough for most, but not all, of your zoo shots unless you are taking the faces of the lions only. :) Have fun.

Depend on your shooting style, portraits ? fullbody ? animal's antics ?

For fullface portrait and small animals, need 300-500mm.

Don't forget your tripod and patience.

All the best and have fun. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.