Focal length question

panda88

Jan 5, 2010
hi,

newbie here, so need your advice. i am comparing a fujifilm hs10 vs a dslr. from the spec, it shows focal length of "f=4.2 - 126.0mm, equivalent to 24 - 720mm on a 35mm camera". I believe this is very long zoom range, so if I buy a dslr what kind of lens can achieve the same result?

Any 24-720 lens can achieve the same result. Lens models will depend on your camera model, lenses of different manufacturers cannot be interchanged (some can, with restrictions).
But you will notice that there isn't such a lens for DSLR. There are some long zooms, but none covering the range described by you. Reason: it would be darn expensive and the optical quality would not be there. SLR means: get the right lens for the respective purpose. That's why they can be changed and that's why there is a huge line up of different lens models.
For possible combination of lenses you can check the websites of the various makers.

hi,

newbie here, so need your advice. i am comparing a fujifilm hs10 vs a dslr. from the spec, it shows focal length of "f=4.2 - 126.0mm, equivalent to 24 - 720mm on a 35mm camera". I believe this is very long zoom range, so if I buy a dslr what kind of lens can achieve the same result?

the mega zoom range of PnS is a case of marketting going ahead of quality engineering. u dun see this kind of zoom lenses in dslrs. quality aside, the slr having a > 30x larger sensor will really translate to a physically huge lens a well :bsmilie:

like what Octarine mentioned, getting the right lens is a whole new science in using slrs.

ryan