Focal length for 50mm lense

bluebaby

Sep 20, 2006
Hi, I am using a newbie and trying out a 50mm lense, when I'm using auto focus, I can't focus on the subject if its less than 1.5m, but my 50mm focal length is 0.45m, have I missed out any setting? Thanks.

1. Go search focal length on camera lens..
2. Read the stickies articles on newbie section.. this should b sufficient..

Hi, I am using a newbie and trying out a 50mm lense, when I'm using auto focus, I can't focus on the subject if its less than 1.5m, but my 50mm focal length is 0.45m, have I missed out any setting? Thanks.

The focus length of 50 mm lens is 50 mm.

I think you mean the lens minimum focus distance is 0.45 m

If there are insufficient light, you will also have problem focusing.

You may want to switch to Aperture priority mode and set aperture to F1.8 or F1.4

Please read up on the difference between focal length and minimum focus distance. They are not the same thing.

I think you mixed up minimum focusing distance aka closest focusing distance with focal length.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_50mm_lens

anyway, it could be you are shooting in low light, or the subject has no contrast, or too tiny, so the camera unable to do auto focus.

It's more to do with your shooting I think. When you go close (in your case, lower than 1.5m), everything becomes bigger. When things are bigger, finding a spot that has contrast is tougher. You need that contrast for AF to lock on. You just can't randomly pick a spot and pray it will focus on.

1) What subject are you focusing on?
2) Have you try manual focusing, if yes, can you get a sharp focus?
3) Set your camera + lens on a tripod and take your time to 'test' focusing on different subject at less than 1.5m (subject like pebbles, flowers, cactus or even yourself), see if there is a problem with locking focus on all these subjects or was the camera seemingly 'selective' locking on.

If you tried different subjects, some can lock on focus, some cannot, then most probably, it might be those subject that you are shooting are very low in contrast with the surrounding (e.g a blank piece of white paper). If everything also cannot focus, then it might be some issue with your lens and you might want to bring it down to the service centre.