Flying Tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMM

Nov 21, 2002
Central
Here is a snapshot of my flying tripod. ;) BF took it out for a successful test flight last week. I still have to clock up a few more hours of instruction to properly take off, buzz around and land safely. Once this is done and my flying club - as well as the relevant Singapore Authorities - think it's ok, I will start experimenting with aerial photography by mounting a lightweight (disposable?:dent: ) camera to this plane to get a new perspective on photography. However, due to the restrictions imposed on the flying of radio controlled planes, you will probably only get to see aerial pictures of my flying club and it's surroundings, so don't expect National Geographic standard photos to be posted. :D

http://www.pbase.com/image/12951258

I wonder what the camera setup will be... Long range diffused IR, radio controlled camera, bluetooth? Maybe you can strap a nokia camphone on it. Not sure how to trigger the shutter though. Nokias support bluetooth. Or maybe you can sms it? some application on the phone can receive the sms and then trigger the shutter.

Originally posted by maddog
I wonder what the camera setup will be... Long range diffused IR, radio controlled camera, bluetooth? Maybe you can strap a nokia camphone on it. Not sure how to trigger the shutter though. Nokias support bluetooth. Or maybe you can sms it? some application on the phone can receive the sms and then trigger the shutter.

I have visited some model airplane photography websites for ideas. It seems most people use a mechanical servo that is operated by a spare channel on the radio control to press the shutter release. I think your ideas are very innovative :light: , but I cannot afford to send a camera plus by handphone into the air... and what if someone calls me while the plane is flying :eek: :devil:

maybe can consider maddog's idea.

with your flying camera, have you considered when to snap? as you do not have any feedback from the camera to the ground, you would not know what the camera is seeing.

as for disposable camera, it would probably not have the necessary interfaces for remote control by radio.

I think my idea too cheem and expensive. The servo and disposable camera solution is practical and will only cost less than 50bucks. Most parts of the plane are controlled by servo anyway.

Originally posted by maddog
I think my idea too cheem and expensive. The servo and disposable camera solution is practical and will only cost less than 50bucks. Most parts of the plane are controlled by servo anyway.

Your setup would be the ultimate but I want to start off simple and hopefully I can keep the plane in one piece long enough to try aerial digital photography.;p

As to when to trigger the shutter, this would involve a lot of guess work, as I will have no idea what the camera will be pointing at. ;p

I have seen fliers in other countries take up a wireless videocam with a receiver/laptop screen on the ground. This would give me a live feed on what the camera is seeing but again $$$$$ is the biggest obstacle... followed by finding a model plane to carry all that weight :rbounce:

Originally posted by Sausage
How much did the whole plane setup cost? I'm thinking of getting an RC glider.

The plane in the photo is a trainer used to teach beginners like me how to fly. The plane itself is $145 (it has a 6 foot wing span), the engine is around $200 but can be cheaper if you don't mind a lower spec. model, a basic 4 channel radio controlled system is around $200. You need to buy another $150 of accessories (i.e. fuel, glow plugs, starter battery, etc.) to get airbourne (it also takes about 2 weekends of assembly and set up).

I believe a glider would be slightly cheaper depending on size and where it is made. Launching a glider can also be quite challenging (i.e. getting it high enough, suggestion - go Mt. Faber) but nobody will know you are flying because it's completely silent. You would probably like to visit the model shop (Singapore Model Supply) in Fook Hai Building in Chinatown to see what's available. ;)

if i had the $$$ i'd channel it to get an u/w casing for my cam. but then again... this reminds me of the time i was unsuccessful to get into ncc air when i was in sec 1 over a decade ago...:cry:

Originally posted by SMM

Your setup would be the ultimate but I want to start off simple and hopefully I can keep the plane in one piece long enough to try aerial digital photography.;p

As to when to trigger the shutter, this would involve a lot of guess work, as I will have no idea what the camera will be pointing at. ;p

I have seen fliers in other countries take up a wireless videocam with a receiver/laptop screen on the ground. This would give me a live feed on what the camera is seeing but again $$$$$ is the biggest obstacle... followed by finding a model plane to carry all that weight :rbounce:

try taking continuouz shootz 1 after another loh ............. hehehehe ............ confirm will have at leazt 1 good shot ..........

if not then try again loh ........ hehehehe ............

:D

Originally posted by sehsuan
if i had the $$$ i'd channel it to get an u/w casing for my cam. but then again... this reminds me of the time i was unsuccessful to get into ncc air when i was in sec 1 over a decade ago...:cry:

Hey sehsuan, you've just gave us (BF now also read this thread) a new idea - attach a camera to a radio-controlled submarine :devil: . That will be very challenging. ;) Anyone want to try it out?

How abt remote controlled helicpoters? u noe where sells them> wads the pricing like? need license anot?

U don't need a license buy or fly one. U can go down to Marina South on the mornings of weekends and there is a group of remote control helicopter enthusiasts flying their models. It is more difficult to fly these helicopters. Easier to learn the fixed wings models.

Originally posted by kingpin
U don't need a license buy or fly one. U can go down to Marina South on the mornings of weekends and there is a group of remote control helicopter enthusiasts flying their models. It is more difficult to fly these helicopters. Easier to learn the fixed wings models.

The IDA had better not see this discussion because I understand that it may not be illegal to buy and sell remote control systems but they need to be licensed for use by the IDA. :)

Originally posted by SMM

Hey sehsuan, you've just gave us (BF now also read this thread) a new idea - attach a camera to a radio-controlled submarine :devil: . That will be very challenging. ;) Anyone want to try it out?

actually, what i meant was that i wanted to get an *underwater* casing for my digicam...:bsmilie:

Originally posted by sehsuan

actually, what i meant was that i wanted to get an *underwater* casing for my digicam...:bsmilie:

Hey Sehsuan, I believe that's how James Cameron got started and look where that has taken him......Titanic.....Bismarck......who knows where you will go.......

Originally posted by pker88
when u going to have a fly? Captain SMM?
hehe
could we tag along to see the plane in action and get a taste of flying ehhe
;p

If weather permits may be this Sunday afternoon. We will give you location and time details. :)

Originally posted by SMM

Hey Sehsuan, I believe that's how James Cameron got started and look where that has taken him......Titanic.....Bismarck......who knows where you will go.......

where, the Abyss? :D

There is a whole lot of posts on RC aerial photography here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=128

You can see how they mount the camera and the results :)

BTW, a gas plane may not be too good to put a camera on, as the vibrations will be *very* strong!

kingpin, I'm one of those there on Saturday mornings too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.