Flying to Freedom

chaffjammer

Jun 13, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi, 3rd post here, pls give your most honest feedback, would really appreciate it.

4042354038_565b5456e3_b.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, maybe also post editing work( what should be done or what shouldn't)
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To tell a story, as if the plane is flying out of captivity(i.e, the barbed wires) to the open skies
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Took it in the morning along the Changi Runway, camped there waiting for planes to take off
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
My personal favorite by far, as I feel that it really has something to tell, at least to me.

For this kind of shot, I would definitely go for B&W. The silhouette and cloud are irresistible.:bsmilie: Here is my edit:

4463472847_2b5ee87660_o.jpg

In B&W, you want as less elements as possible to produce stronger image, so the blue sky was left out here. When faced with a photo like this, I will normally spend a lot of time looking for different versions of cropping, as I can see there are many options here to make different cropping to give different results. :sweatsm: A vertical panorama is also possible.

I compose this photo thinking the barb-wire will occupy 1/3 of the frame, while the plane will be sligthly to the left & along the imaginary diagonal line, leaving more space to the upper portion for the plane to move into. The cloud that forms a diagonal at upper right hand adds more interest to the photo. Needless to say, the brightest spot also brings balance to the whole composition; There is a transition from the darkness to the light.

Notice that there are also a foreground element(barb wire), middle ground(plane) and background(cloud) which make it a pretty strong image. :thumbsup:

There are definitely many possible variations to this image. It's up to the person's visualization. :)

The idea is great and the elements present in the frame helped.

However, having the plane right in the middle didn't really worked. Maybe you can crop it such that the plane is in the top left third of the image. Also, pp is needed to make the clouds "pop".

Here is something I tried:
2mebnr9.jpg

I've also somewhat played with the colours. It doesn't suit the story you're trying to tell, but oh well.

Others will be able to give better advice.

so many variations...

3bcopy.jpg