Flying High and Proud

Status
Not open for further replies.

takeshi.lum

Jun 20, 2007

DSC_1812.jpg

I am compiling an album, Project Singapore, consisting the past of Singapore. The City Hall building is part of the history of Singapore and definately it can't be missed out. Many important events were held there, including the surrender of Japan to the British at the end of World War 2.

The City Hall building was part of the old Supreme Court because there was not enough space for the increasing demands at the Supreme Court building. Additional courtrooms were constructed in the City Hall buidling in 1986.

Even though the building has retired from being a courthouse, it is now a heritage of Singapore and events are held in it. The most recent one is Singapore Biennale 2008.

The title of "Flying High and Proud" is refering to the flying flag at the top of the building.

Please help me to see if there are any improvements that I can have.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The flag is too small and tiny to express "high and proud". The picture just shows the huge pillars at the entrance, giving the viewer the impression of being small in front of a mighty building - with a small red-white flag.

actually without looking at the name of this post or really any discription, i find the photo quote nice and worth keeping in an album

i think the building sort of stolen all the attention from the flag... maybe becoz the building is very bright while the flag is rather dark and also the star and moon not really seen very clearly...

The flag is too small and tiny to express "high and proud". The picture just shows the huge pillars at the entrance, giving the viewer the impression of being small in front of a mighty building - with a small red-white flag.

actually without looking at the name of this post or really any discription, i find the photo quote nice and worth keeping in an album

i think the building sort of stolen all the attention from the flag... maybe becoz the building is very bright while the flag is rather dark and also the star and moon not really seen very clearly...

thanks guys! i will take note of it in future n find a moment to take the flag without other things stealing the limelight.

that day isnt really windy so abit hard to capture the flag fully with the stars n crescent. ;)

thanks guys! i will take note of it in future n find a moment to take the flag without other things stealing the limelight.

To capture this "high and proud" I'd suggest a position where you show the flag in relation to it's surrounding buildings - being high above them. A clear blue sky would be best (although I know SG is not often blessed with it). Is there a building nearby where you can climb up and shoot the flag with other buildings or the skyline being small in the background or at the bottom of the pic?

I think that maybe the title can be changed into something more suitable to the image, because the image does not portray the title, but is quite a strong image on its own too.

I think that in this case, the converging verticals (verticals slanting inwards as you go toward the top of frame) are excusable. This gives rise to a very "awesome" presence of the subject, as if the subject is towering over the viewer. However, I felt that there should have been some effort put in to correct the barrel distortion, which is highly evident in the curved pillars and first few steps.

I think that maybe the title can be changed into something more suitable to the image, because the image does not portray the title, but is quite a strong image on its own too.

I think that in this case, the converging verticals (verticals slanting inwards as you go toward the top of frame) are excusable. This gives rise to a very "awesome" presence of the subject, as if the subject is towering over the viewer. However, I felt that there should have been some effort put in to correct the barrel distortion, which is highly evident in the curved pillars and first few steps.

thanks for the advice bro!

how do i actually correct the distortion? i am using GIMP.

To capture this "high and proud" I'd suggest a position where you show the flag in relation to it's surrounding buildings - being high above them. A clear blue sky would be best (although I know SG is not often blessed with it). Is there a building nearby where you can climb up and shoot the flag with other buildings or the skyline being small in the background or at the bottom of the pic?

the only building that have a view frm opp is esplanade bridge i think, but then i dun have a telephoto lens that is long enough to reach. :cry:

thanks for the advice bro!

how do i actually correct the distortion? i am using GIMP.

If photoshop is anything to go by, click on Filters > Distort > Distortion Correction, and look for the barrel distortion fader.

If photoshop is anything to go by, click on Filters > Distort > Distortion Correction, and look for the barrel distortion fader.

thanks! i try with PS CS4 trial :D

tried editing the distrot but encountered some problems.

if i try to correct the distorts on the stairs, the roof will be distorted.
if i try to correct the distorts on the roof, the stairs will be distorted.

any ways to solve this?

anyone entioned about the flag being "chopped" off? would like to see the whole flag.

Whats that thing on the top left of the building?

not sure wats that, but it seems to be like a room or smth.

anyone entioned about the flag being "chopped" off? would like to see the whole flag.

its not being chopped off, just that it is not displayed to the fullest.

that day isnt a windy day so the flag isnt being blown to its fullest. this is smth that i hav no control over.

its not being chopped off, just that it is not displayed to the fullest.

that day isnt a windy day so the flag isnt being blown to its fullest. this is smth that i hav no control over.

it is chopped off on my screen, and something that i do not like

that said, it is not a bad angle, the vert distortion works here. i would personally clone off the left upper thing above the building to bring out a greater sense of symmetry

it is chopped off on my screen, and something that i do not like

that said, it is not a bad angle, the vert distortion works here. i would personally clone off the left upper thing above the building to bring out a greater sense of symmetry

thanks for pointing that out, i am so sorry for that, replaced it with the original image that i had posted.

took note of it and will try to do so. so the vertical distortion is ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.