Fly in my lens

hydroburn249

Oct 4, 2007
Woodlands
www.flickr.com
As mentioned in title, I just realised there's a dead fly in my lens! I got it 2nd hand from eBay for about $40. It's an old minolta md 28/2.8.

Question is, should I get it cleaned? Is it worth it? Will the decomposing insect wreck havoc to my lens?

How much would lens CLA cost roughly eh? Just a ball park figure. What about film camera body CLA?

As mentioned in title, I just realised there's a dead fly in my lens! I got it 2nd hand from eBay for about $40. It's an old minolta md 28/2.8.

Question is, should I get it cleaned? Is it worth it? Will the decomposing insect wreck havoc to my lens?

How much would lens CLA cost roughly eh? Just a ball park figure. What about film camera body CLA?

That is hard core man...

1) :eek:
2) not worth it... ;)

what's CLA?

The dead fly will definitely cause some funky ghost images. So either you learn to use it in a creative way or get rid of the little dry one. Has the dead body been reported? Could be Illegal Waste Disposal.
Jokes aside, contact fatique here in the forum.

Wah. That's taking macro photography to a new level!!

i've googled online, need more than screwdrivers to dismantle the lens. my DnT skills not up to it. heh. if i screw it up, need to source for another good copy of my lens at that price, which was hard to come by.

fatigue doesnt seem to be taking anymore orders too, found his thread where someone mentioned he's too busy to entertain anymore clients.

just hope any fungus doesnt jump ship to my other lens in the dry cabinet. should be safe for now. i hope.

any of u guys sent lens for cleaning before? any rough figure how much it would cost?

fatigue doesnt seem to be taking anymore orders too, found his thread where someone mentioned he's too busy to entertain anymore clients.
Send him an email or message here. Maybe you are lucky and he can help you quickly. Depends on his assessment on how much efforts are needed.
just hope any fungus doesnt jump ship to my other lens in the dry cabinet. should be safe for now. i hope.
Nothing to worry. Keep the lens dry and nothing much can happen.

i've googled online, need more than screwdrivers to dismantle the lens. my DnT skills not up to it. heh. if i screw it up, need to source for another good copy of my lens at that price, which was hard to come by.

any of u guys sent lens for cleaning before? any rough figure how much it would cost?

Bro fatigue has stopped taking in new jobs because he has a trip coming up and he needs to clear all the backlog before going on that trip.

On top of that, he recently injured his arm, making it hard to do certain actions for certain lenses that require great strength to take apart.

If you have not noticed, fatigue is not making a killing from his side line (yes he has a real day job). For him, it is more of the passion for the hobby and the equipment.

Try taking it to Sony for cleaning if bro Fatigue is swamped. :)

This is totally weird .... how could it have got in the first place?
Maybe a maggot crawled in and lived on heavy metal nutrients?

This is totally weird .... how could it have got in the first place?
Maybe a maggot crawled in and lived on heavy metal nutrients?

i dont know if its really a fly or brown fungus.

but upon closer inspection, i found spider webbish growth on another spot of my lens. that's fungus right?

so now i've found 2 spots with brownish center and spider webbish growth. sigh.

i read online that fungus spreads, so i'm afraid of storing it in my dry cabinet lest it infect my other lenses.

but upon closer inspection, i found spider webbish growth on another spot of my lens. that's fungus right?

i read online that fungus spreads, so i'm afraid of storing it in my dry cabinet lest it infect my other lenses.

Yes that is fungus...

Yes fungus spreads, but not as fast as you think

Also, air already have fungus spores... it will grow if conditions are favorable.

Send fatigue a PM or you can bring it to other lens repair folks around, like camera hospital, or camera consultant.

Personally... forget it.

it's not worth the hassle or cash to clean it unless you really like the lens. Just get another one.

just wonder for a moment how did the fly ended up inside the lens.....
I second the idea not sending to anyone else to clean it. It probably may not worth the while.

Yep, web-things are fungus.
This is what hyphae elements look like.
Mystery of fly getting in resolved :bsmilie:

There is no fly... There is no fly... so says the kid at the Oracle's apartment.