Flute Headjoint (Newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headshotzx

Dec 14, 2007
Punggol
Hey guys! Got a new 400D and 17-40mm lens yesterday, so I'm just shooting things that I like for practice.

I'd like some general criticism on this composition. The focus here would be the flute headjoint against a backdrop of musical scores. I wanted to show off the reflection of the musical notes on the flute, which might seem like they're creeping from the paper up into the flute itself. The other reason why I shot this would be that, well, I like the flute so yeah :)

fluteheadjointpo4.jpg

Indoor light was quite sufficient, but I still shot it at ISO 400.

This was the better one of few photos that I shot.

Crits please!

don't mind if I list down some thoughts..

1) Contrast is good, nice usuage of shallow DoF to isolate your subject..

2) Exposure wise could be better.. the score looks greyish, remember to dial in some +EV when shooting white objects..

3) Composition wise, placing the mouthpiece dead center isn't too exciting.. some placement along the rule of thirds would be better IMHO..also could have shifted the score up more to avoid including the black areas which are abit distracting..

4) Still concerning the score, perhaps choosing another piece would be better.. doesn't quite showcase the agility and lightness of the flute.. the long bars of rest on the left doesn't help either.. I suppose this is a Flute 1&2 score? some solo flute repertoire would be better.. but then thats just the musical side of me speaking..

hope this helps..

Y'know, I didn't really expect many people here to be musically inclined enough to understand the scores =X. Yeah it's a flute score for concert band. Just happened to find both the flute and scores together, and snapped a pic of it.

Thanks for the crits! I'll remember those tips when I shoot things next time.

Its always good to plan your photographs =) Good Shot though =) Looking forward to see more of your photographs =)

:p

Hi!, I play the flute. Had tried taken some pictures of it before but not that seriously. On your image, I thought it would be good to include some keys as to show the wholesome of the musical instrument. You can try exploring different angle yet still able to project the headjoint as the main focus point. Also try to eliminate unwanted black area above the image. See if you could tackle the slight tinted red on the headjoint as well. PP in Photoshop can do a good job.

chvictor (Adobe Certified Expert) | Photoshop Instructor | 98162062

Hey guys! Got a new 400D and 17-40mm lens yesterday, so I'm just shooting things that I like for practice.

(Congrats on your new camera...)

I'd like some general criticism on this composition. The focus here would be the flute headjoint against a backdrop of musical scores. I wanted to show off the reflection of the musical notes on the flute, which might seem like they're creeping from the paper up into the flute itself. The other reason why I shot this would be that, well, I like the flute so yeah :)

(About the notes creeping up onto the flute, you are better off using special effects in photoshop)

(On the overall composition, personally I would prefer that you crop out the dark areas on the border of the image or clone them out in Photoshop... so that the focus can be more prominent in the composition of the image as a whole)

(Side note : Metallic objects are quite hard to shoot and you can pick up a couple of books on shooting still life from various bookstores. You will find that it is very enriching down the road if you want to shoot more finely crafted images on your favourite musical instruments).

Nice silver flute you have there.

fluteheadjointpo4.jpg

Indoor light was quite sufficient, but I still shot it at ISO 400.

This was the better one of few photos that I shot.

Crits please!

Status
Not open for further replies.